Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI Grant- I live slightly over 45km but was award adjacent rate?

Options
  • 12-11-2014 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

According to Google Earth, I live a bit over 45km from my college and when you drive that same route in the car, it's just over 46km. I plan on appealing since I have one hell of an expensive/long commute everyday to college. The commute is definitely well over 45km. How does SUSI calculate your distance from college? I live in a very rural area with no street name or anything so I'm not sure how they can know the exact distance.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kakidd

im kind in the same situation, I live just a bit over 45, but still waiting on final assessment.
    so, really worried. Call them and appeal. I would say.
    thing is, if the person is very little below, the say rules are rules, so if you are over 45km, rule is rule.
    best of luck
    let us know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3 h10012

Wondering does anyone have any advice regarding SUSI's ridiculous criteria. So to receive the higher level grant (adjacent/non-adjacent) you must live over 45km from the college. I am currently living 43.5km has anyone had this problem? I have contact them on numerous occasions and I have been basically told you either living more than 45km or less and thats the rules. Has anyone had this problem? or anyone any advice on who to contact? By receiving the lower amount I'm receiving a 1/3 maintenance which does not even cover transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

h10012 wrote: »
    Wondering does anyone have any advice regarding SUSI's ridiculous criteria. So to receive the higher level grant (adjacent/non-adjacent) you must live over 45km from the college. I am currently living 43.5km has anyone had this problem? I have contact them on numerous occasions and I have been basically told you either living more than 45km or less and thats the rules. Has anyone had this problem? or anyone any advice on who to contact? By receiving the lower amount I'm receiving a 1/3 maintenance which does not even cover transport.

Ya unfortunately there is nothing you can do if you don't live over 45km from your college. They use google maps to calculate it. I had this problem with them last year as you can see. From my college to my house it says I live 44.9km away, but from my house to college it says 45.2km. So they added them together, divided it by two which was 45.05km so luckily I qualify for the non-adjacent rate by the skin of my teeth.

Have a look on google maps and see what the distance is from your front door to your college. They take the fastest route though, so it doesn't matter if you say you travel by a longer route or you have to commute and it's longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 h10012

Lamina wrote: »
    Ya unfortunately there is nothing you can do if you don't live over 45km from your college. They use google maps to calculate it. I had this problem with them last year as you can see. From my college to my house it says I live 44.9km away, but from my house to college it says 45.2km. So they added them together, divided it by two which was 45.05km so luckily I qualify for the non-adjacent rate by the skin of my teeth.

Have a look on google maps and see what the distance is from your front door to your college. They take the fastest route though, so it doesn't matter if you say you travel by a longer route or you have to commute and it's longer.

thanks so much! I've just looked it up from the college to my home address and it is infact 45km but only 43 from my house to college? which leaves me with 44km? Do you think it would be worth while to argue about the distance from college to home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

SUSI use google maps to calculate the shortest route to the college from your home.
    If there is a shorter route that includes any toll roads, they are omitted as the extra expense of tolls cannot be put upon the student.

If the distance is close enough to the 45km threshold, then an average is calculated from Google Maps and the AA Route planner for more accuracy. Again tolls are omitted and the shorted route chosen for each selection.

Anyone that is definitely under the 45km threshold will not get the non-adjacent rate. If you feel you are borderline to the threshold, then you can request a review for the non-adjacent rate and the average of both the AA and Google Maps will be applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 FordCapri1985

Does This apply to independent mature students also? i was looking to move and live in cork to do a PLC course this year and then go to CIT the year after...because of the Adjacent/non Adjacent rate does this mean i wont get the Susi grant for any college in cork? any help would be mucho appreciated as i need to move next week to start this course...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

It applies to all class of student

Advertisement