Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equality

Options
  • 17-07-2014 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I am wondering if I would get anywhere I have just found out a colleague was getting paid more than me when I have been there half a year longer and we are doing the exact same job, do I have a case or am I wasting my time??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Wasting your time most likely short of being able to show it's related to the big once (i.e. religion, union membership etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Nody wrote: »
    Wasting your time most likely short of being able to show it's related to the big once (i.e. religion, union membership etc.).

There are 9 grounds it is illegal to discriminate on: civil staus, family status, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race, membership of the traveller community.

It is likely your colleague simply negotiated a better package for himself. Nothing illegal about that. There is nothing to stop you renegotiating your salary, but the company is under no obligation to pay you the same as your colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Baby1234

I think it's down to equality it seems all the males are paid more which I think is wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Baby1234 wrote: »
    I think it's down to equality it seems all the males are paid more which I think is wrong!

If men are paid more than women for doing the same job in your organisation, then you possibly have a case (without straying into giving legal advice). Contact the Equality Authority. Www.equality.ie

Baby1234 wrote: »

Men being paid more isn't enough of a reason on it's own. If they're paid more because they're male, then you'd have a case. If the males are paid more because they have more experience, or asked for more when wages came up in their interview, or have more education under their belt, then you don't. I'd imagine it would be incredibly difficult to find out the exact circumstances under which their pay was decided.

• Advertisement
Advertisement