Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    What is the final fee in the Ibra/Eto'o deal, anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

He's a top top guy, one of my favourites,

mostly because I have double jointed knees like him and always try the shot he did for the third goal in that video, the one adriano assisted.

Also Maicon sure gave him a lot of assists.

Also Maicon sure gave him a lot of assists.

Well then won't he be delighted that he'll have Alves, Maxwell, Xavi, Iniesta, Henry and Messi setting him up this year.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Kissing the crest or sneezing in it?? :D

610x.jpg

52647hp2.jpg

I have a few doubts about you Ibra, but fcuk it, you're a Barca player now, time to hype you up like there is no tomorrow!!!

IBRAHIMOVIC, BEST STRIKER IN WORLD FOOTBALL RIGHT NOW!!!

I predict he'll nutmeg Torres and Gerard in the same move before scoring the goal to knock Liverpool out of the CL semi-final... Then we'll go on to beat Madrid in their own back yard... :pac:;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

gimmick wrote: »
    Kissing the crest or sneezing in it?? :D

610x.jpg

He's got swine flu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    What is the final fee in the Ibra/Eto'o deal, anyone?

I posted this in the other thread too:

Barca's vice-president confirmed and explained the reasons for the price.
    Barcelona's financial vice-president, Joan Boix, has revealed that any figure for Samuel Eto'o above the €4.5 million mark would have generated income for Catalan club.

Boix, who noted that Barcelona valued the Cameroonian striker at €20 million, revealed that the main difference between Ibrahimovic and Eto'o is the length of their respective contracts with Inter and Barcelona.

"Eto'o had one year on his contract and 'Ibra' had five," he told the Spanish press at Ibrahimovic's press conference. "Qualitatively, we can say that they are alike, but Eto'o, in a year, would cost nothing.

"For that I think we valued Eto'o above what he was worth."

The financial vice-president said that Barcelona will pay Inter Milan €43.25 million for Ibrahimovic, a transfer the Spanish club value at €66 million.

Boix confirmed that Aliaksandr Hleb will join Inter Milan on loan and that Barcelona will pay 70 per cent of the Belarusian's wages.

Meanwhile, a medical examination underwent by Ibrahimovic at Barcelona revealed the player has a broken hand, an injury suffered in a friendly against Chelsea. However, it will not put the deal in jeopardy.

Barcelona doctor Ricard Pruna says that the club are "studying" the best way for the Sweden international to recover so that he can "compete as soon as possible."
    Add to this the fact that Barca wanted to sell and Inter didn't an it explains why they paid so much. IMO there is too much fuss about the price, it's around the same price as Real paid for Kaka and Ibra has been better in the same league for two seasons now.

I'm usually 100% against badge kissing, as it's just a horrible way of trying to win fans over when you move to a new club, but it's interesting to see that he NEVER kissed the badge of Malmo, his childhood club, Ajax, Juve or Inter. It does seem that he truly is in love with Barca, which is nice to see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

dor83 wrote: »
    I posted this in the other thread too:

Barca's vice-president confirmed and explained the reasons for the price.Add to this the fact that Barca wanted to sell and Inter didn't an it explains why they paid so much. IMO there is too much fuss about the price, it's around the same price as Real paid for Kaka and Ibra has been better in the same league for two seasons now.

A good player but in no way is he worth 43.5m and ETO. Just madness. 43.5m on his own and I would of thought he was expensive. It's a crazy deal. He's 28 in October also...

Inter have done incredibly well out of this deal. They got over 40m in the bank now, plus Eto, a player who will score a rake of goals and is more than an adequate replacement, plus they get to take a punt on Hleb and only have to pay 70% of his wages...best piece of business I have seen done in a long long long time..

• Advertisement

The way I look at it is, Ibrahimovic is in the same skill category as Kaka, Xavi, and Gerrard, he is worth about 50 million euros, so Barca overspent about 15 million on him max, which isn't that ludicrous tbh...

eZe^ wrote: »
    I'm usually 100% against badge kissing, as it's just a horrible way of trying to win fans over when you move to a new club, but it's interesting to see that he NEVER kissed the badge of Malmo, his childhood club, Ajax, Juve or Inter. It does seem that he truly is in love with Barca, which is nice to see...
    In fairness he has been saying all summer that Barca are the team he wants and he always pushed to be sold to them. There was a lot of talk of other clubs willing to pay the money for him(like Real and Chelsea) but he only ever talked about joining Barca.
    D.S. wrote: »
    A good player but in no way is he worth 43.5m and ETO. Just madness. 43.5m on his own and I would of thought he was expensive. It's a crazy deal. He's 28 in October also...

Inter have done incredibly well out of this deal. They got over 40m in the bank now, plus Eto, a player who will score a rake of goals and is more than an adequate replacement, plus they get to take a punt on Hleb and only have to pay 70% of his wages...best piece of business I have seen done in a long long long time..
    I suppose it depends on how you look at it, as an Inter fan I see it as us losing our only creative player and our best player for the last 3 seasons(the 3 seasons we won the Scudetto on the pitch). Imo barca got him cheap because every player is overpriced this year and for the reasons I mentioned in my last post, and I know that most Barca fans won't see it this way but I think in a years time they will all be talking about how great Ibra is.

Barca overspent about 15 million on him max, which isn't that ludicrous tbh...

That is crazy imo...particulary given his age.

If they win the CL and the league this season and next, it will be worth it..but it's an expensive deal for 27 going on 28 year old...he'll have no sell on value either..

Doesn't take away from the fact he is a good player...and obviously a player is worth whatever a club is willing to pay...but I think Barca overvalued the player..

I just think this is going to be like Torres to Liverpool, he is going from being the main superstar in a team to a player who has equally skilled team mates all over the pitch. He WILL make the step up. And for all the people saying Inter got the better deal from the two, if they don't use that money on a good midfielder to provide balls for Eto'o, they'll struggle to regain the scudetto.

That is crazy imo...particulary given his age.

If they win the CL and the league this season and next, it will be worth it..but it's an expensive deal for 27 going on 28 year old...he'll have no sell on value either..

Doesn't take away from the fact he is a good player...and obviously a player is worth whatever a club is willing to pay...but I think Barca overvalued the player..

All fair enough points, lets just see how it pans out and judge it at the end of the season. I can see him having trouble adapting for a few weeks, but by Christmas I can see him dominating the sh*t out of everybody and providing Messi with some beautiful assists.

I just think this is going to be like Torres to Liverpool, he is going from being the main superstar in a team to a player who has equally skilled team mates all over the pitch. He WILL make the step up. And for all the people saying Inter got the better deal from the two, if they don't use that money on a good midfielder to provide balls for Eto'o, they'll struggle to regain the scudetto.

Whether Inter make good use of the money or not has nothing to do with the Eto/Ibra deal. Inter struck a brilliant deal, but still could squander their new found cash..

Ibra will do well at Barca...I just think that to justify the price tag, Barca need to win the CL/Liga this season again...

• Advertisement

Ibra will do well at Barca...I just think that to justify the price tag, Barca need to win the CL/Liga this season again...
    With Ibra and Maxwell I honestly think that they will have the best team I have ever seen and can see them as being by far the best team in Europe next year, I don't think Real are close to Barca at the moment. They also have a possibility of getting Mascherano too, which imo would make them even better(no offence to Yaya Toure but I think Mascherano is a better player).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭glenjamin

This has to be the greatest deal in history. For Inter that is.

glenjamin wrote: »

15 euro bet that Eto'o will be useless in Serie A if Inter don't sign a creative midfielder to set him up ALL the time?

glenjamin wrote: »
    Personally I would say that us selling Ronaldo to Real was a better deal, especially when you consider it was 8 years ago.
    15 euro bet that Eto'o will be useless in Serie A if Inter don't sign a creative midfielder to set him up ALL the time?
    100% correct, if we don't get some creativity he will fail miserably at Inter. Ibra was our only creative player and Eto'o is not that type of player, which begs the question who will create the goals next this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Define useless.

Still though £40m for a 27yo and Eto'o, 28, and Hleb on a season long loan is some piece of business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

He's a quality player but I'm not entirely convinced.

At 28 it just seems unlikely that he's all of a sudden going to start banging them in in Europe.

Anyone know what his 'big-game' record is like in Serie A?

I've been getting psyched by watching all his videos and interviews, he is potentially an amazing signing, and seems like he genuinely only wanted Barca ahead of Inter. He said his unveiling at Barca was second only to the birth of his children, and that he was 'the happiest man in the world'.. Some good interviews that kinda explain his character better than when he's taking the piss;

Also, some videos to psyche fellow cules up for the coming season! :)

Here's some of last seasons goals too

The one against Bolonga was just amazing, one of the best I have ever seen.

Surprised this was not posted yesterday

Hleb to Stuttgart on loan for a season. Good riddance. He turned down the Inter loan deal. Presumably he felt the standard was too high for him.

Cacares to Juventus on loan for a season. Good move. He should certainly get some more game time if they are willing to take him in. He looks a decet prospect, just a bit rougha round the edges.

Former Milan and Juventus coach Fabio Capello has always been an admirer of new Barcelona star Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He tried to sign him from Ajax during his period as Roma coach, and finally got to work with him at Juve between 2004 and 2006.

The current England boss thinks the former Inter man can become greater than Dutch legend Marco Van Basten, a player he also worked with in the early 1990s when he coached Milan.

"When Zlatan arrived in Italy he was a rough diamond," Capello said to La Repubblica. "But now he is very complete, the best striker in the world and he's impossible to mark inside the area. I know comparing Van Basten to Ibrahimovic is like comparing Picasso to Rothko, but I believe that because of his power and his technique Zlatan will become stronger than Marco.

"Zlatan needed to learn and mature, but he's an intelligent lad. He also has an incredible gift for maintaining his position, freeing himself from defenders and at the same time seeing a pass, a space or a chance to shoot."

The highly respected coach continued to compare the two players, "Marco was born with the ball at his feet, in his case it's something innate. Meanwhile, Zlatan was too in love with the ball, it seemed like he enjoyed more playing tricks with the ball than trying to shoot.

"That changed when I showed him Van Basten's videos. Since then he plays much closer to the penalty box. What Van Basten and Ibra have in common is their natural elegance. We're talking about giants who are like poetry in movement."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Ibra will change ALOT of peoples opinions this forthcoming season, criminally underrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Barca spending may be over
    Guardiola happy to start season with existing squad

Coach Pep Guardiola has admitted that Barcelona may have concluded their summer spending.

Although the treble winners have spent over 60million euros on Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Maxwell and Keirrison, that figure has been dwarfed by the 200m euros splashed out by Spanish rivals Real Madrid.

Real's spending spree has inflated the transfer market and Guardiola accepts that Barca may not be able to afford any more high-profile signings.

"The market is open but very complicated," said Guardiola. "All the signings are very expensive and one of the options is that there won't be any more reinforcements.
    High prices

"We are rich but not as much as others. Everyone, for whatever player, is asking for a great deal of money.

"That wise man Sir Alex Ferguson was definitely right when he said that this isn't a year to sign."

Young Brazilian striker Keirrison has already been sent out on loan to Benfica so Ibrahimovic and Maxwell are so far the only additions to the Barca squad for next season.

Guardiola is hopeful he can further boost his options via a cut-price deal or a loan signing but is happy to kick off the Primera Liga season on 31st August with his existing squad.

"I'm convinced things will happen," he added. "There is still time to bring in reinforcements, until the end of August, whether on a loan deal or a permanent basis.

Solid base

"In any case, if we can't, we can't. We're going to continue seeing what happens as the days pass but I have no reason to complain.

"The base is very good. I have 16, 17 or 18 very good players and the poorer ones are also coming along nicely.

"If someone comes we will be calmer, but if not, nothing will happen.

"What is certain is that we're not going to bring in someone just for the sake of it."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_5464082,00.html

He's dead right too, Ibrahimovic was a massive amount of money, and was the only striker capable of replacing Eto'o, a player Guardiola HAD to replace this transfer window. And considering Pep was looking for Adebayor/ Kanoute last year, it seems he has acquired the best striker in the world out of that mould...

Forwards - Bojan, Messi, Henry, Ibrahimovic, Iniesta, Assulin

Midfielders - Xavi, Keita, Busquets, Iniesta, Toure, Dos Santos

Defenders - Puyol, Pique, Henrique, Marquez, Milito, Alves, Maxwell, Abidal, Muniesa, Fontas

Goalkeepers - Valdes, Pinto, Joq

Plenty of strength and depth there really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Gotta Love Pep!!

"That wise man Sir Alex Ferguson was definitely right when he said that this isn't a year to sign."

He's a classy version of Jose Mourinho, only more sucessful... :P;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Boggles wrote: »
    Gotta Love Pep!!

How did I know a United fan would find that line like a laser guided missile. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

JPA wrote: »
    How did I know a United fan would find that line like a laser guided missile. :pac:

I'd already read it this morning, was waiting for you to post it so I can could qoute it!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

93,000 to see Barca take on LA Galaxy at the Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena yesterday. That's the highest 'soccer' attendance in the US since the '94 World Cup final (94,000, same stadium). Not bad for a friendly.

Beckham was also on the scoresheet with a brilliant free-kick, very reminiscent of his free-kick against Barcelona at Old Trafford back in 1998.

Mini highlights link - http://forum.rojadirecta.org/viewtopic.php?t=71814&sid=30be1d142d2b4f766402336392088adb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That free kick was class. Give me Beckham standing over a spot kick over ronaldo any day of the week. Atleast you know he'll get it over the wall.

Lovely seeing Pedro and Jeffren both scoring against the Galaxy, we have so many youth players capable of playing key sub roles this season. It'll be nice to see how Dos Santos, Assulin, Pedro, Jeffren, and Muniesa are encorporated into Peps side, and if Lucho will need them for Barca Atletic...

Messi not in the squad for tonights Super Cup game away to Bilbao. Henry has recovered enough from injury to be in the squad but unlikely to start. Ibrahimovic will not be in the squad either due to a hand injury. He is slated to make his debut Vs Man City during the week.

Likely starting XI

Valdes
    Alves.....Puyol....Pique....Abidal
    ........Toure........
    Xavi.........Keita
    Pedro.....Bojan......Asulin

Not bothered much about this. As longas there are no injuries i will be happy. Id saying Jeffren and Muniesa might get some game time as well (does Muniesa suspension go into this season, or has his match been served?).

It aint on TV, so must go looking for a stream.

Confirmed starting XI

Valdés
    Alves -- Puyol -- Piqué -- Abidal
    Touré
    Xavi -- Keita
    Pedro -- Bojan -- Henry

Subs:
    Pinto, Maxwell, Fontàs, Muniesa, Gudjohnsen, Busquets, Jeffren.

Stream http://www.atdhe.net/8533/watch-athletic-bilbao-vs-fc-barcelona

Score on 66 minutes
    Barca 1-2 up on 66 mins. Xavi and Pedro.

Man city secured the greatest result in their history tonight by beating 2 Barca teams in the Gamper Trophy. It was 1-0. Barca used 20 players I think. Did not see much of it, but Man City pretty much sat back for what I saw. Great to see ambitious play in friendlies :rolleyes:

Not bothered by the loss. Sometimes you learn more in losing than winning. If i were to choose any match to lose this month, it would have been that one.

In other news Ibra showed up late for training yesterday. Hardly a good start. It was only 2 minutes, but late is late.

http://www.fcbarcelonanews.com/ibrahimovic-late-for-training/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Barca crushed them from what I saw in the second half, very good performance considering how many changes were made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Man city secured the greatest result in their history tonight

:eek:
    I support both these teams and never thought I would have to choose-till tonight, and City it is.

That match was like Ireland vs Lichtenstein (1996?). Barca could have played all night and not scored. Nobody who saw it (cough;)) could doubt they were the better side but to call it City's best result ever? Come on. I know City's history is far from illustrious but a 1-0 win in a meaningless "friendly"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Man city secured the greatest result in their history tonight by beating 2 Barca teams in the Gamper Trophy.
    What the hell are you on about? :rolleyes: Beating Gillingham in the Division 2 playoff final was a bigger result than that crap. In fact, ANY competitive victory is a better result.

:rolleyes: Swear to christ, no one on this fúcking forum can see a quite obvious joke anymore.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

:rolleyes: Swear to christ, no one on this fúcking forum can see a quite obvious joke anymore.

ANYMORE?
    never could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My apologies. On first read it appeared to just be the latest in a long line of digs at City recently. If it wasn't the fair enough (though aren't jokes meant to be funny? ;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

OK have just re-read it. It didn't look at first read like a joke:( but I see it now. Yeah, I have had to explain myself before after my posts that sarcasm and humour don't always transfer to the keyboard!

So apologies from here too

Handy 3-0 win tonight with Messi getting 2 and Bojan the other to give a 5-1 aggregate Super Copa win.

Ibra looks nervous though had a great assist for Messis first. he had the ball in the net himself, but play had been stopped as a penalty was awarded. maxwell played full 90. Looks very very good. Xavi was immense.

Bring on the season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Congrats FC. Barcelona.

Morf wrote: »
    Congrats FC. Barcelona.

Hope ye Basque lads are fighting for Europa places rather than relegation this year. Always respected Bilbao, and in Llorente they have a great shot at midtable success.

Beautiful first goal by Messi, nice assist from Ibrahimovic, but a lovely chipped finish by leo.
    http://br.soccerclips.net/videos/barcelona-1-0-ath-bilbao-messi

Cooly slotted penalty.
    http://br.soccerclips.net/videos/barcelona-2-0-ath-bilbao-messi

Bojan hounding the defence.
    http://br.soccerclips.net/videos/barcelona-3-0-ath-bilbao-bojan

Ibrahimovic was good, his passes and build up play was excellent, but he drifted to much to the wings, his positional sense was a bit off. Maxwell was fantastic.

Barcelona are supposedly on the verge of signing Shaktar Donetsk defender Dmytro Chygrynskiy for €25m. Now, it is on goal.com reporting this, so pinch of salt necessary. This is is actually cup tied from the Champions League as well, so why the bloody hell would that sort of money be spent on him?

If they are looking at this fella, why did they pull away from Luis Felipe of Depor, who is not cup tied?

Of couse, as mentioned, it is goal.com reporting, who are also reporting one one page that Puyol is perfectly happy to end his career at Barca, and there is a link to another article at the bottom saying he is pondeirng his options as he fears Marquez and Pique will be first choice, citing the fact he was on the bench for the first leg of the CL semi. Obviously that had nothing to do with the fact Barca were playing Real on the following saturday and the 2nd semi was only a few days later.

What a waste of reading.

• Advertisement
Advertisement