Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

MD1990 wrote: »
    he bent it the corner
    it wasn't a rocket type shot

Aye, Was more like a homing missile :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Fantastic goal by Messi once again!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

He's in great form. Iniesta's return has helped a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭TheLynx

Messi took a sneaky/snakey free kick while the wall was being organised and goalkeeper out of position organising the wall, nothing special about it just your ordinary Bracelona sportmanship that Sergio Busquets would approve of, taking advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

TheLynx wrote: »
    Messi took a sneaky/snakey free kick while the wall was being organised and goalkeeper out of position organising the wall, nothing special about it just your ordinary Bracelona sportmanship that Sergio Busquets would approve of, taking advantage.

Lol... would you maybe like some sugar with that lemon you're sucking on? Might make it a bit sweeter, although maybe you like the bitterness?

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Lol... would you maybe like some sugar with that lemon you're sucking on? Might make it a bit sweeter, although maybe you like the bitterness?
    Your better off ignoring him...just looking for a reaction to the utter sh1te he posts!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Your better off ignoring him...just looking for a reaction to the utter sh1te he posts!

I know, I've unfortunately stumbled upon a few of his posts before... but I'm bored and can't sleep.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Even the_monkey is more entertaining if perhaps more obvious...

Another anaemic performance, Fabregas quite poor again and I didn't see the second goal coming. Terrific display by Valdes, poor from Busquets and even Abidal was quite poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Huge win last night. Shame an away performance like this did not come earlier in the season. It was a poor performance by everyone bar Valdes IMO, but the 3 points were ground out.

If only Rayo had not played like idiots earlier yesterday, there would be some hope, but 10 points with 45 points to play for is a bit fanciful :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Messi's goal was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I feel this season Messi's long balls and free kicks have improved ten fold!
    It's as if he starts each season with a to do list on thing's he can improve on, and well.. he does it :D

Xavi didn't look at his very best last night, I feel with Cesc and Iniesta playing there is a limited amount of movement upfront and hence Xavi has less options to spray the ball.

Monumental perfromance from Valdez in that second half, if Messi is being praised for getting the 3 points, then Valdez has to be given credit for keeping them! Maradona actually said during the week that Valdez is terrible and that Barca make him look good. What tripe! But maybe Deigo could say some thing to inspire Pedro? :pac:

Just wondering how fellow Barca fans feel about Pep still not having renewed? I personally do think he will renew for 1 more season at some stage. When is a mystery though...

In the possibility of his departure it seems Luis Enrique seems to be the favourite to replace him should he decide to leave at the end of the season

Taken from totalbarca.com

Catalan-based sporting daily El Mundo Deportivo asked its readership last week to opine on who they would choose to replace Pep Guardiola, should he fail to renew his contract with the club. Readers voted overwhelmingly for former Barcelona [and Real Madrid] star Luis Enrique, currently on assignment in Rome. Other potential candidates were rated as follows:

Luis Enrique 42%
    Marcelo Bielsa 25%
    Joachim Löw 15%
    Oscar Garcia 5%
    Michael Laudrup 5%
    Ronald Koeman 3%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think the man is a genius, he gets a nice big signing on fee every year and gets to have major power in his wage demands etc each and every season :)

Guardiola will stay.

Of those options, I don't know, maybe Laudrup is the kind of guy the club would want, but I'm sure there are fans that wouldn't welcome him back. I think I read Óscar García is leaving the club for another offer in the summer.

Whoever comes after Pep will seem like a step down anyway. Obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

As said obviously whoever does replace Pep will be a big step down, who knows though we might not need to worry about it for a long while yet.

Of that list from what I've see Marcelo Bielsa would be a good replacement, as he is showing with Athletic he likes his football played the right way. Hopefully for Athletic and Barcas sake Pep stays where he is for a few more years.

• Advertisement

Would Villanova not want it?

talk of a step down and all that - I do not think any of us imagined Pep was going to do what he did when he was given the reins in 2008. In fact, I dare say some people thought it was a fairly crazy risk to bring in someone as green as Pep. Boy did he prove to everyone what he is capable of.

But of the candidates mentioned, I would go for Luis Enrique.

gimmick wrote: »
    Would Villanova not want it?

talk of a step down and all that - I do not think any of us imagined Pep was going to do what he did when he was given the reins in 2008. In fact, I dare say some people thought it was a fairly crazy risk to bring in someone as green as Pep. Boy did he prove to everyone what he is capable of.

But of the candidates mentioned, I would go for Luis Enrique.

Lol I remember the opening league game that season, against Numancia, allot of people were calling for his head after we lost that game... Oh how we fans a are a fickle bunch :rolleyes:

I know this season is still far from over but what possible transfers do you think we will see? In and out come the end of the season. Personally I think we only need to sign 1 or 2 players to add a little bit more depth to the squad. I know they would be both big money signings but if we could land Thiago Silva and Neymar I would be one very happy guy :D

As for out.. Well presuming every body is happy to stay on I don't see the need to sell any body.

I think keeping Villa/Pedro/Affelay happy will be our biggest challenge. With Tello and Cuenca having come through this season we will have maybe 1 forward to many in our ranks. But I don't see competition for a start as a bad thing at all, so long as every body is happy to stay and not demanding first team football 100% of the time.

According to @barcastuff on twitter (not the most reliable), with JDS, Cuena, Tello, Montoya and Bartra all being promoted, that there is no plans to sign anyone.

If anything I'd like to see a CB lined up in the summer. I immensely dislike seeing one of Busquets or Masch in the centre, or Abidal for that matter when one of Carles or Pique are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Good interview with Cesc on Revista La Liga last night. He mentioned how the players all know what it is to play for Barcelona as they all practically grew up there. I think this is one of the main reasons why Barca has been so successful - they take pride in the jersey and know the clubs traditions and what is required. That separates them from other clubs.

Pep will stay on for prob one more year. The reason he cant committ to a long term contract is he is constantly thinking about the club and puts enormous pressure on himself. For his own sanity i hope he walks at the right time as he owes Barca nothing. He must be the most successful manager in the modern game - what is it 20 plus trophies in a few years - no one even comes close.

• Advertisement

Well Cesc must of been half asleep here signing a Ozil Madrid jersey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Cesc and Busquets playing very well so far for spain. Two assists for Cesc. Iniesta, despite scoring looks a little off with his passing radar.

Messi scored a hattrick for Argentina. In crazy form again.

I just want a CB in the summer. No Neymar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I think he'll play this well for Argentina, if he can play with Kun Aguero. They play very well together.

8 goals in 3 games!!!!!!!

Watchya gonna do????

I think he'll play this well for Argentina, if he can play with Kun Aguero. They play very well together.

8 goals in 3 games!!!!!!!

Watchya gonna do????

Argentina are still rubbish though. They badly need a manager to sort out their defence and midfield. Messi can't carry them all the way.

Haha yeah, they seem to be good mates actually.

He's been really good in his last few games for Argentina. Since becoming captain really. Happy for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Jernal wrote: »
    Argentina are still rubbish though. They badly need a manager to sort out their defence and midfield. Messi can't carry them all the way.

Argentina are hardly rubbish plus they have Messi who is capable of taking them the whole way. The Argie squad is full of world-class players.

Warper wrote: »
    Argentina are hardly rubbish plus they have Messi who is capable of taking them the whole way. The Argie squad is full of world-class players.

I don't doubt their individual quality, I doubt their team management and tactics. If they have any. . .

I think they've looked better under Sabella. I guess we'll see.

I think they've looked better under Sabella. I guess we'll see.

Well, :o I'll confess I didn't watch the game tonight so I may be harsh on them. I watch Spain send out a stark warning message. Ireland are going to have to park that bus really bloody firmly.

• Advertisement

Well, :o I'll confess I didn't watch the game tonight so I may be harsh on them. I watch Spain send out a stark warning message. Ireland are going to have to park that bus really bloody firmly.

Haha tbh, you're still not wrong. Argentina are weak in the same places. Tonight was just another friendly after all, but I do think they're coming on bit by bit under Sabella. After the game he was talking about how they should try and give Messi more options rather than asking him to carry from deep and do everything. That's a step forward I guess :p

I'm not hopeful about the Spain game. Maybe Soldado could even solve their '9' problem. Commentators were saying that the Czechs were good preparation for the Spain game since they supposedly keep the ball well etc, but I don't know, there isn't another international team like them. Could be a long 90 mins..

Haha tbh, you're still not wrong. Argentina are weak in the same places. Tonight was just another friendly after all, but I do think they're coming on bit by bit under Sabella. After the game he was talking about how they should try and give Messi more options rather than asking him to carry from deep and do everything. That's a step forward I guess :p

I'm not hopeful about the Spain game. Maybe Soldado could even solve their '9' problem. Commentators were saying that the Czechs were good preparation for the Spain game since they supposedly keep the ball well etc, but I don't know, there isn't another international team like them. Could be a long 90 mins..

If Spain respect us and and aren't tired or fatigued (remember they will have a much much longer season than the Irish players and in the case of the Barca continent an epicly long three year season!!) then I expect us to be either extremely embarrassed or it viewed as a heroic performance where we against the run of play hang on for dear life to a draw or narrow victory. I fully expect a hammering at the moment though if Silva remains on form.

Just read this blog post which I thought was interesting and may interest a few of you guys. Basically about how Barca lack a goal poacher alá Villa.
    What’s wrong with Barcelona these days? Jake Meador has a few ideas:

In his tribute to Dutch soccer, Brilliant Orange, journalist David Winter writes of how the Dutch brand of attractive, free-flowing beautiful soccer always seemed to be overcome by a more utilitarian, pragmatic (German) approach. In the history of the game, this isn’t unusual. One of the classic problems facing anyone involved with the game is whether it’s better to play beautifully or to produce wins. Traditionally, the Dutch opted for the former and the Germans and Italians for the latter. (Meanwhile, the Brazilians managed both while the English, generally speaking, struggled to do one.)

For proponents of joga bonito, the last several years have been enormously gratifying as a club team has managed to win every trophy possible while playing a possession-based style dependent upon an almost unfathomable combination of technical skill, team movement, and tactical understanding.

Some might say this style isn’t “beautiful” but it’s undeniable that the style requires a remarkable and hitherto unseen amount of technique and team skill. Pep Guardiola’s men have challenged the old idea that beautiful football and trophies couldn’t go hand-in-hand. For idealists, there has probably never been a more glorious 90 minutes of football than Barcelona’s 5-0 win over Real Madrid last season.

Yet this year some chinks have appeared in the Catalan armor. While the side has been as overwhelming as ever in this season’s clasicos, their domestic form has suffered. Despite their impressive 3-1 win at the Bernabeu in this season’s first league clasico, the Catalans currently find themselves 10 points behind Real Madrid with only 14 games to play. Though both sides have two losses, the Blaugrana have had six draws while the Merengues have had only one. And those ten points have made all the difference.

So what has caused the drop?

Those prone to stating the obvious will cite injuries – David Villa, Alexis Sanchez, Gerard Pique, Cesc Fabregas and Andres Iniesta have all missed time this year, as has increasingly-fragile skipper Carles Puyol. While ignoring their lack of fitness would be unfair, it would be equally wrong-headed to ignore other potential causes, the most notable of which is that they simply aren’t scoring enough goals or, put better, they aren’t scoring consistently.

While Barça has scored 70 goals on the campaign, many have come in bunches. 55 have come in only 12 matches, which leaves them at a comparatively-pedestrian 1.25 goals per game in the remaining 12 matches in which they’ve gone 4-6-2. This suggests that there’s a deeper tactical or stylistic problem that may be manifesting itself.

I believe the problem goes back to their tendency this season to play without a striker on the field (which is different, it should be noted, from a strikerless formation). Even before his injury at the Club World Cup, Villa often found himself on the bench this season. He didn’t get his first start until the third league match (perhaps not coincidentally, Barça’s most prolific day of the season in which they beat Osasuna 8-0 at the Camp Nou). Yet in the following week when Barça returned to his old stomping grounds in Valencia, Villa was back on the bench.

And it’s worth noting: Barça never replaces him with another established out-and-out striker. Instead, they tended to use new arrivals Sanchez or Fabregas in his spot, playing something that could alternative be described as 4-6-0 or 3-1-4-2 (depending on whether you’re concerned more with the player’s role in the squad or their positioning on the field).

It’s also worth noting that in almost all of Barça’s most prolific games, Villa started. Since Villa’s injury, they’ve only had three big goal-scoring games: 4-2 over Betis with a Messi brace, 4-1 over Malaga with a Messi hattrick, and 5-1 over Valencia with Messi scoring four.

But when Villa hasn’t started and Messi has lacked that special Michael-Jordan-at-Boston-Garden quality, Barça have struggled for goals. In the eight games since Villa went down, they’ve gone 5-2-1, dropping seven points during a stretch in which Madrid have ripped off nine consecutive wins. Those seven dropped points account for the difference between the clubs since Barça pulled within three after the clasico.

‘Team Orgasm’ and Tactical Idealism

Another way of saying it: it’s no secret that this is Guardiola’s most idealistic squad ever assembled. When he took over in 2008, he had two strikers in Samuel Eto’o and Thierry Henry plus Messi up top. That was the six trophy team; the most successful in terms of silverware but, for those who judge by less objective measures, not Guardiola’s best team. The next season he dropped Henry and swapped Eto’o for Zlatan Ibrahimovic, leading to the weakest of Pep’s sides and the side that went out in the Champions League semifinals to Mourinho’s Inter, forever cementing Mourinho’s increasingly-dubious reputation as a Barça-beater.

Last season saw Ibra’s departure and Villa’s arrival and it made for what Marca dubbed “Team Orgasm.” The club went from September to January without losing a match. (And the January loss came in the second leg of a Copa del Rey tie in which they’d won the first leg 5-0.)

In all competitions Barcelona lost only five matches the entire season – a fluke week two loss to Hercules in La Liga and an end-of-season loss to Real Sociedad in an inconsequential game where Barça were more concerned about resting starters for the Champions League than picking up three points. The remaining three losses came in the aforementioned Copa del Rey tie, the Copa final against Real Madrid, and Arsenal’s 2-1 win at the Emirates.

Looking back, the 2010-11 edition of Barcelona struck the perfect balance between idealistic joga bonito and the cutting edge ruthlessness in front of goal necessary to win silverware. Interestingly, they played a formation not dissimilar from this year’s: three in traditional defensive positions, Sergio Busquets on top of them as a destroyer/regista all-in-one, Dani Alves marauding down the right, Xavi and Iniesta pinging passes through the midfield and a front three consisting of two wingers and Messi in the false nine role.

Both last year and this they played a strikerless formation. And it’s worked: Barça are capable of passing the ball into the net by playing 20+ perfectly placed, perfectly-weighted short passes. But even for a team of Barcelona’s calibre, doing that multiple times in every game, finishing the chances, and keeping the other team out of the net is phenomenally difficult, as this year has amply demonstrated. And so a striker like Villa, who can hit goals like the 3rd in last year’s Champions League final against Manchester United, is indispensable.

The point is that playing a strikerless formation and playing without a striker are not the same thing. For all their quality in other areas, Fabregas and Sanchez lack the two qualities most essential to Villa’s game: sublime finishing combined with an uncanny ability to pop up in the right spot at the right time. Last year when the passing wasn’t flowing as well, Barca knew either Villa or Messi could create something on their own to rescue them.

But this year, there’s no Villa and, due to his role in their formation, Messi usually receives the ball so far from goal that it can be difficult – even for Messi – to create a goal on his own. Fabregas and Sanchez have, at times, made the passing even more fluent and the movement even more marvellous, but they haven’t been able to provide Villa’s goals.

It seems, then, that we may be approaching the ends of tactical idealism. When Madrid has attacked them, Barcelona have proven capable of scoring goals without a striker. But when teams park the bus, those passing lanes close down and even Barça’s collection of midfield maestros struggle to unlock the defence.

But when there isn’t an Eto’o, Henry, Ibra or Villa up front to create something on their own, where do the goals come from? Based on this season’s returns, the answer is: they don’t. The goals dry up, points get dropped and now, just past the midpoint of the season, Team Orgasm finds themselves looking up at a Madrid team they’ve already beaten multiple times this season.

In years past, Guardiola has found that magical balance between the idealism of joga bonito and the right sort of pragmatism in front of goal, even while publicly disavowing a pragmatic approach to the game. This year that blend has eluded the Catalans – and if they don’t find a way to recapture it, so too will the league title.

Source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nicely worked goal leaves an easy finish for iniesta.

Messi isn't in the squad. Is he injured?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Nicely worked goal leaves an easy finish for iniesta.

Messi isn't in the squad. Is he injured?

Suspended for 5 yellows in La Liga.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Suspended.

Pique sent off seconds into the 2nd half!

They carry them after Christmas?

Oh, pique sent off!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pique is a real liability this season.

1-1, great cross and neat finish.

• Advertisement

Wonderful Goal. Game on!

LOL even in fiction you could not have written that script!:D:D
    Game on!
    Fantastic substitution.

What's that mendy fella's first name?

Barca are on the ropes.

Anyone remember the WC when Pedro had a chance on goal and the choice to square a tap in to Torres but he selfishly went alone? I'd imagine a lot of Barca fans were hoping for the old Pedro there that one-two with Alves should have been taken on my Pedro and a more confident Pedro would have shot.

Formose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Barca are on the ropes.

Anyone remember the WC when Pedro had a chance on goal and the choice to square a tap in to Torres but he selfishly went alone?

I remember that well. Torres could have really done with a goal at that point and would have done a lot for him at the time. Really pissed me off as a Spain fan.

• Advertisement

Formose?

Was hoping it was arnaud. He was an fm10 legend for me!

Iniesta is so good. Good last ditch tackle though.

Vyse wrote: »
    I remember that well. Torres could have really done with a goal at that point and would have done a lot for him at the time. Really pissed me off as a Spain fan.

Pissed me off too, because I really want Torres to return to his former self.

Some really clinical fouls now by Sporting. Nothing threatening though, just professional fouls lol. Anyone know what the average is of yellow cards for teams facing Barca?

Iniesta is really doing his best to fill in for Messi's loss.

Superb finish

What a goal from Keita :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement