Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Subject Choices

Options
  • 20-11-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Basically I'm to leave my subject choice form for leaving cert subjects in a week or two, after a long time deliberating I think I've decided on biology,chemistry and history.
    I want to do med/pharmacy after school but constantly change my mind so I thouht histry might balance out the science in the case I change my mind. What are ye're thoughts/experiences with these subjects? Especially history.
    If it helps, in my JC I got an 'A' in all 3 subjects I assume are necessary, Science, History and English.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Go for it. Sounds like a good choice, you show you have an interest and also the ability. I only do biology out of those three..if you want to know anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

History isn't a subject requirement for anything, as far as I'm aware.

Just do the subjects that you're interested in, and have potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

History involves a lot of writing. It's basically all essays. You need to be able to both remember a ton of facts and to analyse the events. If you have a passion for history, it can be rewarding, but if not then it will be absolute boring hell. (I suppose it also depends on how good your teacher is, mine makes it very dull).

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

If I could go back I would pick the easiest subjects, those being the ones that are generally just regurgitating facts that you also have some interest in. But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 averagejoesgym

I did chemistry biology and business in my leaving. I thought business was a nice change from the science subjects and you learn some useful everyday stuff in business.

but whatever you find interesting and got good results in junior cert is a good choice. so your original choice sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Frigating wrote: »
    History involves a lot of writing. It's basically all essays. You need to be able to both remember a ton of facts and to analyse the events. If you have a passion for history, it can be rewarding, but if not then it will be absolute boring hell. (I suppose it also depends on how good your teacher is, mine makes it very dull).

It does depend on the teacher. I have an excellent teacher. It makes it a whole lot more interesting.
    It also depends on what you make out of it too. If you put effort into it and you enjoy it it can be so satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mendelmania

I do all three any enjoy them all. Just make sure you choose a special topic you're actually interested in. People in my class ended up regretting their choices when it was too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ciar23

Thanks everyone for your replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ciar23

I do all three any enjoy them all. Just make sure you choose a special topic you're actually interested in. People in my class ended up regretting their choices when it was too late.

Is LC history really as impossible as its made out to be? Is it a subject that would require nearly constant studying in a way that it could possibly take over from other subjects?
    I enjoy learning about history and won't mind the essays but t the same time I wouldn't like it to take over. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mendelmania

Well seeing as I do eight subjects, I'm finding the workload a bit overwhelming this year but I continue to enjoy history! It's actually the only subject I got an A1 in in both Christmas and Summer tests actually. Just make sure you understand what actually happened before learning off wads of essays that you don't actually understand. Maybe try and find someone (like a sibling) you can teach it to! The other day I bored my 10 year old brother to death taking about the Treaty!

Oh and make sure you have a good teacher because it'd be very boring otherwise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement