Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Past attendence affecting new grant

Options
  • 13-11-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm in work and don't have a lot of time to research this. So i'll ask here. My girlfriend attended DIT in 2005/2006 for one year, but dropped out before christmas. DIT says they have no record of her withdrawal from the course at the half year mark and are saying she attended the full year, even though she didn't sit any exams in the institute.

Because of this, SUSI is refusing to give her the grant for her first year of her degree in Athlone.

Now, from my experience, I did the same thing, went to DIT, then dropped at in december but got my letter, then went to another college for a full year which I didn't like, so left it. Then I finally settled in ITB and still got my grant. Despite having attended other colleges for a full year and a half.

Is this a case of SUSI giving her the run around? This will completely screw up her finances, thank fook she managed to get a part-time job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,806 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ask SUSI why she cannot be deemed a second chance student?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Ask SUSI why she cannot be deemed a second chance student?

Thanks, didn't know it was an option, I'll tell her to mention that.

Xios wrote: »
    Thanks, didn't know it was an option, I'll tell her to mention that.

If its more than 5 years since she studied then yes that is an option.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

If its more than 5 years since she studied then yes that is an option.

There's a difference in facts on the two mains sites (check bold). And I can't find anything in the legislation because I don't speak legalese.
    A ‘second chance student’ is someone who is aged over 23, did not successfully complete an earlier course and is returning to pursue an approved course after at least 5 years.

SUSI wrote:
    However you may be considered eligible for funding as a “second chance” student where you -

have previously attended but not completed a course,
    have had a 5-year break in studies since leaving that course,
    and are returning to attend an approved course at the same level.

Xios wrote: »
    There's a difference in facts on the two mains sites (check bold). And I can't find anything in the legislation because I don't speak legalese.

I think the legislation may possibly have changed but is she returning at the same level?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I think the legislation may possibly have changed but is she returning at the same level?

She's in a level 8 now. Her past course could have been a level 7, she's not sure.

A mature student pursuing an approved course following a break in studies of at least five years, in circumstances where the mature student previously attended, but did not successfully complete, a course and is returning in order to pursue an approved course in the relevant academic year, shall be known as a 'second chance student'

Wtf is this highlighted part meant to mean. Does it apply to any studies done, anywhere at any time in those 5 years. So if she took a night class in pottery, would SUSI consider that 'studies'? She did a fitness trainer course a few years back, and i'm fairly certain it was not on any of the approved grant courses.
    (5) “Re-entry”, for the purposes of this Scheme, means a mature student
    entering an approved course following a break in studies of at least three years,
    having previously attended an approved course
    Is probably her best bet for eligibility because it does not say that you need to have completed the year.

No

Reentry is different

I think The second chance student is where she should be aiming to get through

Terry Pratchet

No

Reentry is different

I think The second chance student is where she should be aiming to get through

If she took a part-time module in a fetac course, would that count as an instance of studying? She did 2 modules for one semester in Rathmines College in the evenings to see if she was up to the challenge of college, but this wasn't mentioned in the application....

This has been SUSI's response.
    Thank you for contacting SUSI.

To qualify as a second chance student, there has to be no education in between. As you studied a PLC last year, this disqualifies you from qualifying as a second chance student.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your final grant you can then make an Appeal to SUSI.

Appeal requests must be received within 30 days of the final grant decision.

The SUSI appeal form can be downloaded using the link below

I feel like this is completely unfair and she is getting screwed over majorly by Susi. It just seems so profoundly disproportionate that she is being denied over 2 part-time evening classes.

It seems odd that the terminology is so loose with regards to 'studies' and that it not defined anywhere that I can see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement