Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SUSI Grant - a few questions

• 04-09-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering if anybody out there could answer one or two questions I have about my application. I rang the helpline today, but the girl wasn't too sure.

Firstly, when I first filled out my application form, it was a certainty that my brother was also going back to college. Now, with repeat exams, he's not so sure if he will be. I understand the income limit is increased by 4,980 for each additional college going dependant. I was asking the girl on the helpline today whether I should let someone know if he doesn't go back. She told me that because on my checklist it doesn't ask for evidence of his college attendance, that I shouldn't need to let anybody know one way or another. But does this mean that if he does go back that the income limit won't be increased, or if it is increased without need for any evidence of such, that if he does decide to drop out(read: fail) that my income limit will have been unfairly increased. This would be the difference between me getting a 25% maintenance and a 75% maintenance. Obviously I don't want to be out 600 Euro if he does go back, and don't want to be unfairly claiming 600 Euro if he doesn't. I think I might work out to be a wait and see case though. Anybody have any ideas?

Secondly, my own income. I've been reading online that the reckon-able income levels can leave some income out. I.e, in my case the redundancy my dad received last year is divided by the number of years of employment, and the certain social welfare payments aren't counted. But for my own income I've read that it wont count up to 3,809 euro for "out of term" employment. I was employed for the whole year including term breaks, christmas and summer holidays. Obviously I worked more often when I had the time to and I'd be positive that I earned more than 3,809 out of term. Do I need to provide evidence of such, such as dated payslips and term-times, or do you think they just deduct the 3,809 from my income without need for evidence? Again, this would be the difference between, 25% maintenance(if my brother does not go back) and 100% reg fee/50% tuition fee, meaning I'd be left to pay 785 of my tuition fees.

Sorry I know they're quite pedantic questions, but I'm trying to figure out how much I will be likely to receive(or have to pay out), given how long I'm expecting to have to wait to find out, so any help at all will do.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

Birdie wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just wondering if anybody out there could answer one or two questions I have about my application. I rang the helpline today, but the girl wasn't too sure.

Firstly, when I first filled out my application form, it was a certainty that my brother was also going back to college. Now, with repeat exams, he's not so sure if he will be. I understand the income limit is increased by 4,980 for each additional college going dependant. I was asking the girl on the helpline today whether I should let someone know if he doesn't go back. She told me that because on my checklist it doesn't ask for evidence of his college attendance, that I shouldn't need to let anybody know one way or another. But does this mean that if he does go back that the income limit won't be increased, or if it is increased without need for any evidence of such, that if he does decide to drop out(read: fail) that my income limit will have been unfairly increased. This would be the difference between me getting a 25% maintenance and a 75% maintenance. Obviously I don't want to be out 600 Euro if he does go back, and don't want to be unfairly claiming 600 Euro if he doesn't. I think I might work out to be a wait and see case though. Anybody have any ideas?

Secondly, my own income. I've been reading online that the reckon-able income levels can leave some income out. I.e, in my case the redundancy my dad received last year is divided by the number of years of employment, and the certain social welfare payments aren't counted. But for my own income I've read that it wont count up to 3,809 euro for "out of term" employment. I was employed for the whole year including term breaks, christmas and summer holidays. Obviously I worked more often when I had the time to and I'd be positive that I earned more than 3,809 out of term. Do I need to provide evidence of such, such as dated payslips and term-times, or do you think they just deduct the 3,809 from my income without need for evidence? Again, this would be the difference between, 25% maintenance(if my brother does not go back) and 100% reg fee/50% tuition fee, meaning I'd be left to pay 785 of my tuition fees.

Sorry I know they're quite pedantic questions, but I'm trying to figure out how much I will be likely to receive(or have to pay out), given how long I'm expecting to have to wait to find out, so any help at all will do.

Thanks in advance :)

Wait until u know for sure whether your brother is attending college or not. Perhaps the reason they did not look for proof is that your income is under the limit without the need to add the 4980 for the extra sibling in College. If he does not attend, there is no need to let them know but if he is going you should post the proof just in case.
    Your dad's income will be assessed on the 2012 income at present. If he is on a pension or social welfare, the rate per week will be multiplied by 52 and the lump sum won't be taken in if he finished work in 2011. This is why I feel the income will be under the limit without including your brother in the equation.

As for your own income, you should provide them with a P21 and a P60 for 2011 and a note from your employer giving the amount of money you earned during the holidays. They can only deduct €3809 for holiday earnings for you and the balance of your earnings will have to be included.
    Hope this makes sense to you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 queenie154

achmairt wrote: »
    Wait until u know for sure whether your brother is attending college or not. Perhaps the reason they did not look for proof is that your income is under the limit without the need to add the 4980 for the extra sibling in College. If he does not attend, there is no need to let them know but if he is going you should post the proof just in case.
    Your dad's income will be assessed no the 2012 income at present. If he is on a pension or social welfare, the rate per week will be multiplied by 52 and the lump sum won't be taken in if he finished work in 2011. This is why I feel the income will be under the limit without including your brother in the equation.

As for your own income, you should provide them with a P21 and a P60 for 2011 and a note from your employer giving the amount of money you earned during the holidays. They can only deduct €3809 for holiday earnings for you and the balance of your earnings will have to be included.
    Hope this makes sense to you.:)
    Do you still get the 3809€ deduction if your part time work was during fifth year and fifth year summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

queenie154 wrote: »
    Do you still get the 3809€ deduction if your part time work was during fifth year and fifth year summer?

Yes.
    Just answer the questions by the OP.

You do need dated evidence of the earnings for out of term employment. This must be either payslips or an employers audit trail printout of your earnings.
    You will only be allowed up to €3809 once evidence is provided.

Evidence of your brother may not be required if your total reckonable income is under the threshold for the full grant.
    If there are less than 4 dependents in your household, the threshold is €45790.

If your father was made redundant, the amount of income from the redundancy is divided by the years of service and the paye income for the year is removed. However any income from a social welfare payment is then annualised.

Advertisement