Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do SUSI give maintenance grant approval while on Lone Parent Allowance?

Options
  • 13-08-2014 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Ive been accepted as a mature student for the coming academic year. Im a single Mum currently on Lone Parents Allowance. Ive been receiving this payment for a year now,and my daughter is 17months. I applied for my SUSI grant just over a month ago,waiting to hear back,and have been accepted on a childcare scheme on the basis of being a medical card holder. I dont want to sound like Im screwing the system,Im returning to college to get myself off the live register,and have worked voluntarily for last three years in same area Im returning to study. Unfortunate turn of events have landed me in this situation,and I have more than contributed socially/financially to the system over the years..But can someone advise me,am I better/or can I remain on Lone Parent payment Allowance,rather than BTEA. Am I right in saying that I may be entitled to Maintenance grant if I do. I know youre not if you change to BTEA? Would really appreciate any info on this! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You cant receive the lone parents allowance while working full time, a full time college course counts as full time employment. You have to switch onto btea. I dont think you can get the SUSI grant while on btea but they might pay your fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,911 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Actually I think GarIT is wrong.

It looks to me like your best option is to stay on one parent family payment and claim a SUSI grant

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/one_parent_family_payment.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

A relative of mine was in the same situation two years ago and was made change to BTEA.

GarIT wrote: »
    A relative of mine was in the same situation two years ago and was made change to BTEA.

Probably because of the childs age.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Probably because of the childs age.

Nope, they are back on lone parents now. They were told by the SW office that college counts as if you were working and earning. I thought BTEA was for the same amount anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 RuthH84

Actually I think GarIT is wrong.

It looks to me like your best option is to stay on one parent family payment

Thanks lads....

I did a little more research,and came across this same info on both Citizens information and Social Welfare websites. I am entitled to remain on Lone Parents, there is a cutoff age point that won't affect me as my little girl is only 1.This means I may be entitled to maintenance grant as well as fees grant. However,it says in most cases it would affect rent allowance entitlements. If I decide to change to BTEA,it is only paid for academic year,I would not be entitled to maintenance grant,but I would be entitled to hold on to my Rent allowance.

On the website they practically say it is your own decision. Im just even more confused now as what is right to do. Im prepared that the next four years were going to be a struggle,but would love to hear feedback from people in same scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

A person receiving One-Parent Family Payment can return to education without their payment being affected.

However, if that person is getting Rent Supplement and going back to education, they have to transfer to the Back To Education Allowance as Rent Supplement is not paid to a person in full-time education unless they are on that scheme.

Lone parent getting Rent Supplement - transfer to Back To Education Allowance (no SUSI maintenance grant available).

Lone Parent not getting Rent Supplement - apply for SUSI grant.

How much is your rent supplement?

Terry Pratchet

mystic wrote: »
    A person receiving One-Parent Family Payment can return to education without their payment being affected.

However, if that person is getting Rent Supplement and going back to education, they have to transfer to the Back To Education Allowance as Rent Supplement is not paid to a person in full-time education unless they are on that scheme.

Lone parent getting Rent Supplement - transfer to Back To Education Allowance (no SUSI maintenance grant available).

Lone Parent not getting Rent Supplement - apply for SUSI grant.

Thanks,seems pretty straight forward when you put it like that!

Had been getting all sorts of advice offline,and my head was in a spin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

RuthH84 wrote: »
    Thanks,seems pretty straight forward when you put it like that!

Had been getting all sorts of advice offline,and my head was in a spin!!!

No problem. Good luck in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 sineado15

Just wondering did u get the grant and keep your lone parents payment. I am thinking of going to college next year

Just wondering did u get the grant and keep your lone parents payment. I am thinking of going to college next year

sineado15 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I decided to change to BTEA, as I am in receipt of Rent allowance and wanted to keep that too. That meant I was only eligible for fees component of grant. It was much of a muchness to be honest.

If you're not on rent allowance,you have option of staying on lone parent allowance,and are eligible for both parts of grant. I do think there is some sort of clause to this though, something to do with child(ren)'s age-wouldn't have affected me as my lg is only 19months!

There are lots of other schemes,but you really have to go digging,I was ready to tear my hair out,but its all worth it. Some colleges have student assistance funds, some have creches-I didnt have that option,so my lg is in a full time community creche which is subsided greatly by being on SW payment and having a medical card. SVP, some credit unions and county councils have education funds too if you think you may be eligible!

Best of luck!

Thanks for the info! I don't get rent allowance I get maintance so don't no will that affect the grants. I no its a bit early to be talking bout next year but don't want stress when it comes to the time!!

Advertisement