Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do things vanish and return?

• 02-05-2015 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

my friend had this experience when he misplacedsomething and search everywhere. two days later it is on a shelf where he had looked several times.it was in plain view not hidden behind anything. he lives alone had no visitors

has anyone had that experience? i would be skeptic but i also trust his word

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Yes its always happening to my car keys...

Those pesky spirits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭TheCowboy

househero wrote: »

Those pesky spirits
    is that a serious reply?

Yep. Hiding in plain sight.

Yep. Hiding in plain sight.
    where do they go?

TheCowboy wrote: »
    where do they go?

They're always there. You just don't see them, and the harder you search, the less likely that you will notice them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

is your friend this man?? :pac:

Jokes aside I think it's just human nature to just overlook what we're looking for particularly when we're frustrated.

They're always there. You just don't see them, and the harder you search, the less likely that you will notice them.
    it wasn't there. i believe him

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I get this all the time. I refer to it as the cosmic joker. :)

The best one was a document i mislaid in work. Searched for two days. Then walked back into the office and there it was on the centre of my desk (im the only admin - noone else used the office). I still wonder about that one. Either someone was playing silly buggers or i was losing it :)

I read an article about Terry Pratchett where he spoke of his alzheimers. He talked about how an object like a teacup could be right in front of him but because of the disconnect in his brain, he simply could not see it. Now, im not suggesting any of us has alzheimers but it shows the brain can do very dodgy things.

The paranormal name for things appearing inexplicably is 'apport'. I have heard stories of it happening with small objects like coins, keys and mementoes. But only ever third hand, unfortunately. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭maccored

my son spent four days looking for his car keys. he eventually found them in his bedroom, in his drawer though he, I and his mother (the only people in the house during that time) had all looked in that same drawer numerous times over those few days. We literally took the room apart looking for them so I dont know how three of us managed to miss them. Was that paranormal? I have no idea. I just know the keys werent there when each of us looked and none of us put them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭IamtooGoode

My wedding ring disappeared and re-appeared more times than I can remember. Sometimes after a week it would appear square in the middle on the made-up bed… my oldest child was only 3months at the times it happened and my wife swears she had nothing to do with it…. Im convinced that she is trying to freek me out ….. !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Doesn't quantum mechanics allow for this sort of thing happening ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭IamtooGoode

blinding wrote: »

That says amongst other things, that ALL things we see and take for granted as solid are in fact blinking out of and then back into existence??? My mind is
    melting again !!! ….

That says amongst other things, that ALL things we see and take for granted as solid are in fact blinking out of and then back into existence??? My mind is
    melting again !!! ….
    Its unbelievable alright.Until or if we ever understand it, its basically magic.

Not saying it is magic, but until we understand (if) it may as well be magic ! ! !

Could you explain that in simple terms?

Could you explain that in simple terms?
    I will honestly admit that this is probably beyond me.

If i try and fail miserably, please forgive me.

Quantum mechanics says that things at the very small level can exist at many (if not all) places at the same time. We cannot say where they are until we consciously observe them.

There are no laws of Physics that say that this can not also happen to large objects.

The small and the big are made of the same stuff

I hope you were not just having a laugh getting me to explain that:D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Scientists go berserk when paranormal peeps use quantum physics to explain paranormal phenomena. :) Things need to be observable and repeatable. This type of stuff tends not to be like that!

Quantum mechanics says that things at the very small level can exist at many (if not all) places at the same time. We cannot say where they are until we consciously observe them.

There are no laws of Physics that say that this can not also happen to large objects.

No i wasn't.This object would fit in your hand. Is that large in physics?

No i wasn't.This object would fit in your hand. Is that large in physics?
    In Physics i think that a human being is roughly in the middle category size wise .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

melting again !!! ….
    If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

galljga1 wrote: »
    If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
    A sound wave is created, there's just nobody there to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Nah, I don't believe in the paranormal, I think there's always a logical explanation, that's not to say it will always be a simple explanation, sometimes an incredible amount of unlikely coincidental string of events have to take place in order for something to go missing and reappear in the same place but paranormal activity is by far the least likely answer, for me it's a non answer.

Also don't forget that people will often accidentally (and sometimes deliberately) manipulate the story because they want to believe in paranormal activity, pretty much willingly fooling themselves into believing that there's no other explanation, so therefore a ghost did it.

quantum entanglement i think you mean, and it wouldnt fit this. two photons can exist in two places at the same time - though that wouldnt explain why things might apparently disappear and then reappear. Quantum entanglement suggests that the atoms/particles/whatever are in both places.

Nah, I don't believe in the paranormal, I think there's always a logical explanation, that's not to say it will always be a simple explanation, sometimes an incredible amount of unlikely coincidental string of events have to take place in order for something to go missing and reappear in the same place but paranormal activity is by far the least likely answer, for me it's a non answer.

Also don't forget that people will often accidentally (and sometimes deliberately) manipulate the story because they want to believe in paranormal activity, pretty much willingly fooling themselves into believing that there's no other explanation, so therefore a ghost did it.

that itself is a bit simplistic. basically you dont believe in the paranormal therefore anyone who experiences anything like it is 'willingly fooling themselves into believing that there's no other explanation'. I'd believe you quicker if you have done any form of research into such things.

maccored wrote: »
    that itself is a bit simplistic. basically you dont believe in the paranormal therefore anyone who experiences anything like it is 'willingly fooling themselves into believing that there's no other explanation'. I'd believe you quicker if you have done any form of research into such things.

I don't personally have time to do research but I have watched skeptical programmes on paranormal related activity in the past. Penn and Teller: bull****! and the amazing Randi were two good examples of debunkers who I thought done a very good job of highlighting the inconsistencies and inaccuracies of paranormal claims.

Anyway I don't find paranormal claims or stories very interesting to be honest and I've never been convinced, even from a young age. I think the universe we live in is far more interesting and mysterious than any man made ghost stories, but that's just me.

I don't personally have time to do research but I have watched skeptical programmes on paranormal related activity in the past. Penn and Teller: bull****! and the amazing Randi were two good examples of debunkers who I thought done a very good job of highlighting the inconsistencies and inaccuracies of paranormal claims.

Anyway I don't find paranormal claims or stories very interesting to be honest and I've never been convinced, even from a young age. I think the universe we live in is far more interesting and mysterious than any man made ghost stories, but that's just me.

i think you're in the wrong forum so ;-)

This person does not want to believe in paranormal. i don't either. there were no string of events. the room was searched several times. when it was found it was in a place that had been looked at. It was visible from where it was not visible from the other times. there was no one else in the house, no pets etc. it was not behind anything, nothing had to be moved or looked around to see it

When it was back it was immediately visible

maccored wrote: »
    i think you're in the wrong forum so ;-)

Ha maybe you're right, I'm still new to this and I haven't really been paying attention to what forums I'm in, not quite sure of the etiquette around here yet.

This person does not want to believe in paranormal. i don't either. there were no string of events. the room was searched several times. when it was found it was in a place that had been looked at. It was visible from where it was not visible from the other times. there was no one else in the house, no pets etc. it was not behind anything, nothing had to be moved or looked around to see it

When it was back it was immediately visible

To be honest I'm not the man to ask, I've never witnessed anything remotely like that but I have heard a couple of stories of things and even people vanishing (usually ghosts appearing and the disappearing) but I never believed them.

Ha maybe you're right, I'm still new to this and I haven't really been paying attention to what forums I'm in, not quite sure of the etiquette around here yet.
    everyone is welcome here, Im only taking the piss. well, everyone is welcome as long as they dont mind some of us not taking 'I dont believe in the paranormal' as absolute proof there is no such thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 GladWrap

Okay. I'm not a paranormal enthusiast, just an interested party.

This thread reminds me of a similar incident that, funnily enough, happened to me in a house in Galway in 2006.

The girl who I was staying with remarked that a butter holder - you know you put the butter on a slab and the top goes over it - would go missing from the table but not to be alarmed because it had been going on for a few years and she was very blasé about it. At the time, I was like, whatever.

Sure enough, sat down to eat that night, the butter holder was nowhere to be found. See, I told you, she says. We're talking and eating and I look up and there's the thing in front of me. So I said to her, oh come on, you put that there, what do you take me for, a fool? So she gets up and says no problem, I'll put this way over here where you can see it. And she takes the butter holder and she puts it on the mantelpiece in full view and she sits down and we continue our conversation.

I distinctly remember putting my fork, my eyes looking at the plate as you do and looking up and the feckin' thing is in front of me. And my friend had not moved an inch (and I would have known as the mantelpiece was on the other side of the room). So I said, I'll move it.

So I took it, went both went outside and put it in the shed and shut the door. And I was like, go for it Houdini. And we were laughing as I thought she was really good as illusions and I was impressed.

Came back inside and the thing was on the table. Well. I felt sick. And I says to her this is not normal. And she says no, it's not really but it started about 2 years ago now and I'm just used to it. And I was like haven't you asked anyone about this? Speak to a priest or something? And she was like what's a priest going to do, wave his wand? And that was that.

About six months later she moved out. Other things started to happen and she said when you walked into a room it felt like the way it does when a storm is approaching (I'm thinking static electricity?) and it got a bit much.

I'm surprised that people in a paranormal forum would laugh or make fun of something like this, insisting instead that such things are a trick of the mind or the person involved made it up. I find it incredible that the first question would not be and investigative one like...wtf just happened? Or something like that rather than accuse the OP of manipulating the story.

I don't know what to make of my experience only that it happened and that it unnerved me. And I find it dangerous to dismiss.

I've also been in a house where the clocks would routinely stop at 4pm and start up again an hour later. Not frightening but not the sort of thing that would make you want to sit next to the clock either if you know what I mean like.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

It always happens to me, I believe it 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

househero wrote: »

Those pesky spirits

mobile phones too... those pesky spirits are fond of technology relocation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

lawred2 - If you don't cop yourself on and muster enough grey matter to contribute something useful and respectful to this thread, I'm going to remove you from the forum entirely.

The same goes for anybody else who defies the rules of the forum Charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Something similar used to happen in my grandmother's house years ago. I think I've posted about it here before. A lot of strange stuff used to happen in the house. Things would disppear and then reappear suddenly in front of your eyes. I remember it would always happen with my guitar plectrums- I would put the plec down on the bed in front of me and a few seconds later it would be gone. I would stand up (to make sure it hadn't made its way under my legs/arse) and there would be no sign of it. Rest assured, as soon as I would sit back down the plec would magically reappear in front of me.

The most memorable disappearing act was the stopper for the sink plug hole. Myself and my granny had eaten our supper one evening and all the dirty dishes were piled beside the sink ready to wash. Granny gets up to wash them and can't find the stopper. It's usually in the sink but the sink os now empty and there's no sign of it. We spend the bones of an hour rooting the kitchen apart looking for it and eventually give up, thinking it must have fallen down into some irretrievable nook or cranny. I go to the sink to make a cup of tea an hour later and there is the stopper, sitting in the middle of the otherwise empty sink :eek:

Also, my brother was home on a visit from new zealand a few years ago and on his first night back, he put his phone under the pillow and when he woke up the next morning it was gone. Turned the whole room (and house, subsequently) upside down but it never showed up.

Very strange but stranger because the year before, my uncle was visiting and had been staying in a different bedroom and was woken in the middle of the night by the sound of a mobile phone ringing somewhere in the room. It was ringing on and off for about half an hour and he pulled the room asunder but couldn't find the source and we never found an explanation. Maybe there is some strange connection between the 2?

Advertisement