Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

97 micra with broken timing chain

Options
  • 04-11-2008 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

hi.
    the timing chain on our car broke the other night. the few people i talked to said the easiest thing to do is put a second hand engine in but since it was so old it isn't worth the cost. besides the engine it is in ok shape, just passed the nct last wed.:(

i would rather not send it to be made into beer cans so i wanted to know
    know what kind of price a car with no engine would realistically go for?

also i saw something a long time ago on tv about fas doing something with cars, so would their be someplace like that which i could give it to if i can't sell it.

thanks

patrick beatty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Basically when the T/C broke the pistons probably smashed into the valves either bending or breaking them off. Chances are the piston could be damaged too. However, there could be a slim chance that there isn't any valve or piston damage (unlikely though), so your best bet would be a new engine. If you're anyway handy with a spanner whip the head off and check the damage, but if not the cost repairing it would be uneconomical considering there's a wide variety in brakers yards around the country with low mileage engines :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭patrickspicture

thank's for getting in touch. i wouldn't have the tools to take it apart :(. the garage said they would take it apart for 100 euros and see what the damage is, but we already spent a bit on getting it ready for the nct and another 100 on the slightest chance that the valves and pistons are ok is a bit to much of a gamble. that is why i was thinking of putting up an ad and selling it to someone who can fix it or change the engine them self.

is it unrealistic to think someone would buy the car with a broken engine?
    thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Someone may buy the car with a broken engine for an engine transplant and then into stock car racing or something..

don't expect to get much more than a 100 or 200 euro for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

You should get an engine dropped in for a few hundred quid OP. Not expensive to buy and easy to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

The same thing happened with my fiat punto last month(well a cog came off the timing belt when i was starting it?). I decided to go with replacing the engine option. it cost €250 for the engine and €250 for the labour, €500 total.

I like my punto, its year is 1999 & its nct is up at the end of next year, it has central locking, power steering, fog lamps front and back, electric windows, alloy wheels, 5 doors, great sound from the speakers, handles very well and its colour is black. (i love black cars, its the only colour a car should be ;))

Im a commuting student and im broke. If i was to pay €500 for a 'new' car can you imagine the peace of crap id end up with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

OP - you should get a new engine. End of. Don't waste your money on the old one.
    What kind of milage was on the old one? I'm sure if you shop around you should get a low milage one for cheap and fitted for in or around €500.
    Just because the car had a valid nct, doesn't mean anything about the engine. NCT is for roadworthyness, i.e. brakes and steering etc. They never check the engine apart from emissions and polution.
    You would get nothing much for a car with a broken engine, sorry. Just scrap value, maybe €100.

The same thing happened with my fiat punto last month(well a cog came off the timing belt when i was starting it?). I decided to go with replacing the engine option. it cost €250 for the engine and €250 for the labour, €500 total.

I like my punto, its year is 1999 & its nct is up at the end of next year, it has central locking, power steering, fog lamps front and back, electric windows, alloy wheels, 5 doors, great sound from the speakers, handles very well and its colour is black. (i love black cars, its the only colour a car should be ;))

Im a commuting student and im broke. If i was to pay €500 for a 'new' car can you imagine the peace of crap id end up with?
    The Fiat Punto engine is considered SAFE, meaning if the timing belt snaps or skips the pistons and valves to not come into contact. TBH, chances are the car didn't need a new engine (unless it was 16v engine) as once the T/B goes (or Crank pulley in your case) the parts can just be replaced and timing reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

With cars of this age/budget, it is handier to keep the one you know about, than to risk trying to spot a good one from all of the dross that will be out there...

If the car is in good condition overall (all electrics work, brakes steering suspension all in reasonable order, no body damage/bad repairs), has a good interior (not worn/torn/dirty), and is a good spec for a 97 Micra, then spend some more money on a second-hand engine.

Scrapping it/giving it away will be more trouble in the long run, as you will be right back at the start, looking at loads of cars that are knackered money-pits, trying to find a good one that isn't a rip-off (or worse, getting stitched up by unknowingly buying one of the money-pits).

I bought a '93 Audi 80 Estate in '03 in the UK. It was straight, and high-spec with a good service history and no body damage. It's probably not worth €1500 in today's market, but I'd never find another as good for the money, so I'd replace the engine if it died tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Spend the 100 euro to see whats up. You may only needa valve or a head cheaper option than pulling an engine etc.IMO

Spend the 100 euro to see whats up. You may only needa valve or a head cheaper option than pulling an engine etc.IMO

Actually, you can get a mechanic/knowledgeable person to turn the engine over by hand and look down the spark plug holes to see if any of the valve heads look crooked as they open - you mightn't be able to see them all, but it will give you some idea as to whether or not it's worth looking at repairing the original engine, or whether you should move straight on to the replacement engine idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Get a good mechanic to check out to see if there's any damage to the valve's etc. if there is, get a new engine, not worth ploughing money in to this one.

I must say, you're doing well to snap it, i've seen them driven very hard and they just keep on going.

Not many breakers will break an engine just for the head - although you might get lucky. If they've enough in stock they might.

thank's to everyone who posted, all the info has been very helpful.:D

i wanted to add to this post cause it is on the first page.
    after reading all the posts, does anyone know of a good mechanic around monaghan town?
    the people who towed the car are really nice and i am sure the mechanic is good but i should call around to get some prices.
    so if anyone has any recommendations that would be great.

patrick

Don't forget to let us know what happens in the long term...

i will. just been trying to sort out a working vehicle for the last few days.

patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

posted a few ads for the car. hopefully someone will make an offer. http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=79267

i can finally finish up the thread. i sold the car yesterday to someone who was planning on replacing the engine and using the car. i am happy that it will be used cause it seemed like a waist to throw away the car even though it was getting on in years.
    thanks to everyone who put a post up.:)

patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

How much did you get for it?

i got 150. which is what i expected from the responses i was getting from this thread. i am just happy someone took it and is going to use the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

What mileage was on that Micra by the way? The way I understand it the timing chain should last at least 250,000miles (with regular oil changes).

it had 122k on it. the annoying thing is that i took it to a couple different garages to get it ready for the nct. after it died everyone said it would be rattling and making noise if the chain was going, you would think one of the garages would of noticed the noise and told me about it. i noticed the noise for a while but thought it was just cause old cars rattled and made noise and didn't think much of it. now i know.:( complete off topic but how often should you change the oil?
    i am from America and we do it every 3k or 3 month here it seems to be way longer like 9k or 6 months. i will have to look into that cause i don't want the new car to go the way of the old car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

ahh bugger he shifted the yoke... best of luck to the new owner :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

it had 122k on it. the annoying thing is that i took it to a couple different garages to get it ready for the nct. after it died everyone said it would be rattling and making noise if the chain was going, you would think one of the garages would of noticed the noise and told me about it. i noticed the noise for a while but thought it was just cause old cars rattled and made noise and didn't think much of it. now i know.:( complete off topic but how often should you change the oil?
    i am from America and we do it every 3k or 3 month here it seems to be way longer like 9k or 6 months. i will have to look into that cause i don't want the new car to go the way of the old car.

depends on the car and oil newer cars don't need as frequent oil changes currently I'm changing oil 6 - 8 months / 6 - 8K miles whenever I get around to doing it but the oil has always been half decent coming out but its a cheap way to keep the car running tip top. 35euro per change

thanks. it is an 06 almera and will probably split the difference and go for 4 to 5k between oil changes since, i have heard you can have problems with almeras if you don't take care of them.

Advertisement