Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

merc c220 v Avensis t3 diesel.

Options
  • 01-12-2008 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

was with a friend today and he's trying to decide between above two motors. Merc is a classy car , aventgarde spec with around 90k but looks well looked after. Avensis is also a well kept car , though not as classy as merc, seems to run well and has around 70 k,
    Merc is 02 , Avensis 04.
    He would prefer the merc but is not so sure on reliability etc . Toyota seems to be more reliable these days than the post 00 mercs.
    Any advice on this would be appreciated !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I'm going to put this as bluntly as I can and I hope you don't take any offense: They're both sh1te!;)

Im not a massive fan of the Merc but I would rather walk than drive an Avensis* so of the two definitely the Merc!!

*Sorry if Im offending any Avensis owners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I'd sooner endure the Mercs potential quality issues instead of the life crushing boredom of owning an Avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,925 ✭✭✭✭unkel

VolvoMan wrote: »
    They're both sh1te!;)

What is particularly sh!te about the C220 CDI in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The merc is not one of my favourites but its certainly the one to pick here. Avensis is a pile of cheaply built overpriced boring sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

IMHO neither is a bad car, Toyota have long ditched the mobile washing machine driving dynamics associated with their cars; and have good reliability to boot.

The Merc never pretended to be a dynamic drivers car, but it is a comfortable, competent machine none the less.

I admit to be nervous about MB's reliability and the resultant cost.

I think the decision would depend on annual mileage, high mileage, must have = Toyota, lower mileage, not stuck = MB.

Just my thoughts...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,925 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Fishtits wrote: »
    Toyota have long ditched the mobile washing machine driving dynamics associated with their cars

That's new to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Avensis is not a premium car and that model C Class only pretends to be one. Go for neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Thanks for the opinions ! thats what I asked for , It is a pity that Mercedes have let quality slip, I always liked their cars but reliability is the key to motoring in my mind. Would get very peed off with a classy car if it was givin jip and not doing it's job. Am a bit surprised with the view on the Avensis as while not a fan of their style or lack of it, I would be of the belief that Toyota are renowned for reliability.
    Volvo-Man, what diesel volvo would you recommend ? and how reliable are they ?

Advertisement