Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Just on the FF note I think Chelsea's the way to open, 2 matches in the first gameweek?

Yep, but no fixture in week 3. So plan carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

yes I am a united fan :eek: but im here to seek advice for my FF team about a gunners player in podolski!... Is he starting so far pre season and do you think he's going to be a success and a regular from the get go?

cheers:)

Wenger's often spoken about giving new players a 6 month bedding in period to get usde to the PL.

Assuming RVP is out the door, I think you'll see one of Podolski or Giroud up front, perhaps Giroud with Pod on the left but i think if Wenger's given the opportunity to avoid playing two of them up front all the time, he'll take it.

In short, expect rotation unless someone really nails a spot.

gosplan wrote: »

In short, expect rotation unless someone really nails a spot.

Fitness aside, this is one of Wengers flaws, you can't really nail a spot without regular starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Almunia has gone to Watford...... He will be missed for exactly 53seconds

Which was how many clean sheets he had for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I kinda admire the guy for winging a career in football (especially at Arsenal) for so many years while having zero talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

blobby360 wrote: »

To be fair, while he was awful many times, he deserves credit for two unreal performances - Barcelona 09-10 and United at Old Trafford in CL Semis - he was immense in both!

To be fair, while he was awful many times, he deserves credit for two unreal performances - Barcelona 09-10 and United at Old Trafford in CL Semis - he was immense in both!

He was, and he showed great promise under Lehmann.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah true he did make some unreal saves in that match, but its worth noting that in that very game he was shocking for both of Ibrahamovics goals. At the emirates in the second leg of the Cl semi against Man Utd he conceded a shocking goal from a Ronaldo freekick from close to 40 yards out.

My lasting memory of Almunia will probably be the Kevin Philips goal that he conceded against Birmingham in the 09-10 season in stoppage time which resigned us to a 1-1 draw which seriously dented our title hopes. I havent been able to forgive Almunia since then. Unfortunately I cant find the goal anywhere but anyone who can remember it will understand how angry I felt after that match and what I wanted to do to Almunia. Here is the match report from Arsenal.com anyway.

http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/3151427/first-team/birmingham-city-v-arsenal?tab=report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

blobby360 wrote: »

I never forgave him for the 2 soft goals he let in in the final in 2006. Should have gotten rid then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Jens Lehmann was far from perfect but that fact that he lost his place in the team and subsequently left the club because of Manuel Almunia was an utter disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Where are these new signings we have read so much about ? Why do we always have to leave it so late Arsene ?

Where are these new signings we have read so much about ? Why do we always have to leave it so late Arsene ?
    Arsene asking Arshavin if he wants to stay = no more signings.

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Fitness aside, this is one of Wengers flaws, you can't really nail a spot without regular starts.

But he does start people regularly.

All I'm saying is that he'll try not to put a new player into the first team for every match for the first few months.

But he does start people regularly.
    Yes usually the wrong ones, ie the ones who have had their chances and don't take them.
    All I'm saying is that he'll try not to put a new player into the first team for every match for the first few months.
    I'm not disputing that, he is the only manager that does it often though, and it doesn't make much of a difference does it.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So if we don't sign anyone else and if Podolski and Giroud are not fit and RVP goes it probably means that Chamack starts up front.
    I am not optimistic with that. We could have another start like last season, God forbid.

So if we don't sign anyone else and if Podolski and Giroud are not fit and RVP goes it probably means that Chamack starts up front.
    I am not optimistic with that. We could have another start like last season, God forbid.

I was thinking exactly that, Wenger could just offer Chamakh on a free, the fact we are still holding on.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

RVP 11 wrote: »
    I was thinking exactly that, Wenger could just offer Chamakh on a free, the fact we are still holding on.:(

Even if Arsenal are willing to let Chamakh go on a free it doesn't mean anyone will take him as his wages are quite high. Buying/getting rid of players isn't straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Don't be surprised to see gervinho start up front

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

I'd be more inclined to think walcott up there, with maybe chamack sitting a lil bit behind him

Even if Arsenal are willing to let Chamakh go on a free it doesn't mean anyone will take him as his wages are quite high. Buying/getting rid of players isn't straight forward.

It's far easier than looking for actual money for a player no one wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Surely Walcott would start up front? Gervinho and Chamberlain on either side. He played some of the City game up there so I'd expect him to play there every now and then this season.

Re: Almunia. He had a good patch there when he took Lehmann's spot. He was never great but he did the job for a while. We just took too long to upgrade him.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Surely Walcott would start up front? Gervinho and Chamberlain on either side. He played some of the City game up there so I'd expect him to play there every now and then this season.

Re: Almunia. He had a good patch there when he took Lehmann's spot. He was never great but he did the job for a while. We just took too long to upgrade him.

In all the pre season games it was ger up top Walcott on the Wing and rotate during the game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I dont blame Almunia as much. I blame Wenger for thinking that a keeper who was second choice for a team in the Segunda Division would somehow be good enough for a top team in the Premiership, and then persisting with him until Chesney was ready instead of buying a replacement.

As for transfers, didnt Wenger say last season that he had a transfer team working around the clock, or something along those lines? Must be the handiest job in the world, you dont have to do anything until late August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Seems Serge Gnarby has signed his first professional contract with us after turning 17. Could be a massive player for us in the years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

dvemail wrote: »
    Seems Serge Gnarby has signed his first professional contract with us after turning 17. Could be a massive player for us in the years to come.

He'll have to change his name. Gnarby is too hard to chant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭batistuta9

He's being training through the middle as well apparently.

If/when RVP does go i wouldn't mind seeing Chamakh getting a run in the team again to see how it works out, he did well in his first season before xmas, then RVP came back & he was basically benched

I'm not sure if that'll happen though as you'd have to think Giroud will play centrally + given that fact he played less at the euro's than podolski, it could be him starting more at the start

actually i think the two of them will probably feature a lot more than that comment from wenger suggests

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

actually i think the two of them will probably feature a lot more than that comment from wenger suggests

Exactly I think Wenger is just managing expectations with the new signings, at least one will start against Sunderland.
    Gervinho has played up top in preseason and training but I think thats in more of a 442, which Wenger has hinted at using if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Snakeblood wrote: »
    He'll have to change his name. Gnarby is too hard to chant.

Gnarly Gnarby?

So 17 days to go and I guess we can say the summer has been pretty positive from an Arsenal point of view, or as positive as it could be after RVP.

Looks like Carzola is on his way and having him tied up in the next day or two would pretty much finish our business.

I kind of like that too - if Carzola comes in the next day or two, that's all the necessary signings completed by the start of August with just RVP and Walcott left sweating it, and why shouldn't they be the ones sweating it?

• Advertisement

So 17 days to go and I guess we can say the summer has been pretty positive from an Arsenal point of view, or as positive as it could be after RVP.

Looks like Carzola is on his way and having him tied up in the next day or two would pretty much finish our business.

I kind of like that too - if Carzola comes in the next day or two, that's all the necessary signings completed by the start of August with just RVP and Walcott left sweating it, and why shouldn't they be the ones sweating it?

I'm very happy we went about our business and are ready for the season despite what happens with the other two

I'm still holding out for one more player hopefully we go back in for mvila but all the rumours points at sahin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement