Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired Quads help !

Options
  • 18-03-2015 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I am finding lately that I am getting tired quads not painful as such they just feel weary quite early on my spins. I can work through it and manage a 100k but it is starting to bug me. I feel its holding me back As well has being uncomfortable. My conditioning isn't bad so I don't think it's that. I raised my saddle a couple of mill but didn't find any significant difference. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Dm1 wrote: »
    Hi, I am finding lately that I am getting tired quads not painful as such they just feel weary quite early on my spins. I can work through it and manage a 100k but it is starting to bug me. I feel its holding me back As well has being uncomfortable. My conditioning isn't bad so I don't think it's that. I raised my saddle a couple of mill but didn't find any significant difference. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Do you use a foam roller ? Might help. Also check to see if your glutes are firing OK!! Some people overuse their quads as not engaging the glutes properly. Physio would check this out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

If your quads are fried, then try sliding your saddle rearwards by a couple of centimeters. This should engage the much larger gluteal muscles into your pedal stroke. you will probably need to lower your seat height, plus you may also need to use a shorter handlebar stem..

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

What cadence you pedal at ?

Are you grinding or spinning

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Is it possibly your conditioning isn't as good as you think?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Brian? wrote: »
    Is it possibly your conditioning isn't as good as you think?

That is what I was thinking. OP, how long are you doing the 100k trips?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Are you warming down at the end of each ride op? If you're doing the last 10k at the same intensity then hop off the bike it can leave you stiff. Your muscles are going from hero to zero with no in between time! soon light and easy for the last 20 mins and see if that helps maybe?

Or stretch them out after a long ride? That helps me with dead empty leg feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

And are you warming up? Ease in to the ride gently (ooh er missus).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,562 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Sounds like poor saddle position/seatpost height if the quads are painfully sore....Give Aidan Hammond a call, problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dm1

Hi Thanks for replys. I am having difficulties posting reply. I don't grind I spin with high cadence especially on climbs. I am still in small ring since winter I haven't gone back to big ring yet. Maybe my conditioning isn't as good as I thought. I done 4500km last year and 650k so far this year. I had 3 -4 weeks in February with only a little cycling as was training for 10k run. I was reluctant to move saddle forward in case I done more harm than good. Maybe should get a bike re-fit. I am not great for the streching and tend to start hard and finish hard. I have 400m at 12 % as I come to my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I was reluctant to move saddle forward in case I done more harm than good.
    Forward saddle position may make the problem worse if you don't raise the saddle also. A more rearward position (even with lower saddle) will also not help unless you raise your hand position.

As I understand it, glutes are activated by open hip angle. It is difficult to achieve this with a rearward seat position and a low hand position (basically a crouch) particularly at the top of the stroke.

Moving the saddle forward and up might do it, but you'll also increase the load on your shoulders, arms and hands. In my personal experience that is easy enough to adjust to, but I have more problems around my hips than I do with my upper body.

• Advertisement
Advertisement