Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to fix a Garmin Edge cracked screen & 1/4 turn mount

Options
  • 09-03-2015 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever had to fix a cracked screen or 1/4 turn mount on their Garmin before? Cracked mine badly yesterday plus the 1/4 turn mount needs replacing. It looks like it is integrated into the back casing But I can't confirm this however as I don't have the tiny Allen key needed to remove it but it looks to be the case.

I've got a quote of €100 including shipping from satnavrepairservice for repairing the screen but I don't think it includes the 1/4 turn mount.

16143233753_9d031da67c_c.jpg

16575788720_b5a3859093_c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

your best bet is to contact garmin directly - they charged me 90 quid recently for replacing an edge 500 with a refurbished (as new) unit. It's a really good service, and it's a one price for everything system afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Thanks Lenny. Did you call them or email them? I just sent them off an email now from the email us link. This the email you used?

I think I emailed them initially, they emailed me back with a number and told me how much it would be (90 euro for the edge 500). I rang them, paid the 90 quid, sent the old unit back and got the new one about 10 days later. Pretty painless and excellent service. I have used it a couple of times.

Just called them. Have to send it back first before they'll send on the replacement. Thanks for that Lenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

can those little chinese mobile phone repair places not do the screen?

• Advertisement

np pprendeville. @neris - i found that you could buy parts online, like the case, suggesting they could be fixed, but, they cost almost as much as sending the unit back to garmin.

Ya I'd prefer something refurbished to be honest that's fixed by those who makes the product or at least subcontracted to someone who they trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

the garmin refurb service is excellent. the refurb will also come with a new 2 year guarantee. great service from garmin.

^^ is it not a 90 day warranty?

from my communication with them:

"Repaired/replacement devices have a 90 day warranty. If the unit is still under its original warranty, then the new warranty is 90 days or to the end of the original one year warranty, depending on which is longer. A full copy of our warranty policy can be viewed at the following link: https://www8.garmin.com/support/warranty.html"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'm sure it was a 90 day warranty too. I used this service before and thought it was good

• Advertisement

Can confirm its a 90 day warranty. Got what looks like a new Garmin back today via UPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Can confirm its a 90 day warranty. Got what looks like a new Garmin back today via UPS.

What did you pay in the end??? Versus the cost of a NEW one????

Seems that they offer a fair and sound system.... nice to know that they didn't give you the bums rush and advise buy a new one full stop.!

74 sterling so close to 100 euro. maybe around 300 for a new one for just the unit only, no hr strap/speed/cadence sensor.

Advertisement