Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Howlin Refuses to tackle Civil Service...attacks public service instead

• 11-10-2012 12:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Reading Brendan Howlins list of allowances to be cut one thing stands out. The Civil Service is untouched and the public service is being targetted.

The removal of Island allowances is by far the meanest aspect of this stunt, there are no civil servants on Islands and the cost of being a public servant on an Island is much greater than the cost of doing the exact same job in Wexford.

But taking allowances off civil servants in Dublin for duties that do not exist any more (eg for carrying papers around in an age of email) is not appropriate seemingly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Civil Service is untouched and the public service is being targetted.

the only allowance abolished last month was a civil service one and it was quite a significant one

anways:
    the civil service make up about 10% of the PS - I think there around 3 times as many employees in the health area as there are in the entire civil service

over 70% of pay bill is health and education staff
    and so on

does it not stand to reason that allowances in the wider public service needs attention?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

And in the wider civil service too don't forget. Howlin should sort out his own department first before he starts on Islanders.

In Howlins own department there are recipients of a Franking Allowance where some of his staff are paid €1500 a year to sent out letters. Start at home and lead by example Brendan. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

And in the wider civil service too don't forget. Howlin should sort out his own department first before he starts on Islanders.

In Howlins own department there are recipients of a Franking Allowance where some of his staff are paid €1500 a year to sent out letters. Start at home and lead by example Brendan. :)

Allowances are not as great a feature of pay in the civil service as elsewhere in the public service. They are a large feature in the health service, gardai and teaching profession.

The Island allowance is ridiculous, matched by the Gaeltacht allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The entire PbS/CS needs to be rationalized by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Nermal

The removal of Island allowances is by far the meanest aspect of this stunt, there are no civil servants on Islands and the cost of being a public servant on an Island is much greater than the cost of doing the exact same job in Wexford.

Your choice if you want to live on an island or not, the government should not be subsidising it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Just when I thought that things couldn't get any more divisive around here up pops a thread to pit Public Sector workers against one another.

Mj-thriller-popcorn-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nermal wrote: »
    Your choice if you want to live on an island or not, the government should not be subsidising it.

Thereisn't too many who'd choose Tory! Unlike say the Gaeltacht allowance I can see the need for an allowance for the additional expenses involved in island living.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

There isn't too many who'd choose Tory! Unlike say the Gaeltacht allowance I can see the need for an allowance for the additional expenses involved in island living.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    There isn't too many who'd choose Tory! Unlike say the Gaeltacht allowance I can see the need for an allowance for the additional expenses involved in island living.

The Greeks are considering selling their islands to get them out of their fix. At the very least we should stop subsidising ours.

Godge wrote: »
    The Greeks are considering selling their islands to get them out of their fix. At the very least we should stop subsidising ours.

So because the Greeks are doing one thing, lets get rid of the subsidy for ours? Nothing wrong with that reasoning whatsoever.

• Advertisement

So because the Greeks are doing one thing, lets get rid of the subsidy for ours? Nothing wrong with that reasoning whatsoever.

I sense sarcasm, the point is we are not as bad as Greece because we have taken some steps. They are reduced to selling their islands. In order to ensure we don't get into that kind of trouble, let's stop subsidising ours, a reasonable approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Just when I thought that things couldn't get any more divisive around here up pops a thread to pit Public Sector workers against one another.

Mj-thriller-popcorn-o.gif
    Yes it's classic.

anyone notice FitzPatrick's face when he left court a few days ago?

I swear to god, he almost seemed worried.

anyway, back to the maggots on the map of Ireland (kudos to the indo advert - classy)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

The way it was explained to me - it's an allowance for 2 people to be on call 24hours per day/ 365 days per year.

The allowance is technically the cheap way of doing it - as opposed to having to hire 2 extra people willing to relocate.

I was under the impression that the wages in the civil service are considerably lower than the public service, that most of the really low paid state sector jobs are civil service jobs - like clerical workers etc.

This table would certainly seem to indicate that average wages in the civil service are lower than the public service:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63180709&postcount=1

I sense sarcasm, the point is we are not as bad as Greece because we have taken some steps. They are reduced to selling their islands. In order to ensure we don't get into that kind of trouble, let's stop subsidising ours, a reasonable approach.

Greece has loads of islands, we don't.

Seriously, for an island like Tory it makes sense. For most islands it means a short trip to the mainland. Tory, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭creedp

Greece has loads of islands, we don't.

Seriously, for an island like Tory it makes sense. For most islands it means a short trip to the mainland. Tory, no.

So in other words there is merit to some public sector allowances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

I wonder do the people on Achill Island qualify for an Island Allowance.

creedp wrote: »
    So in other words there is merit to some public sector allowances

I'd have thought so, surely not every single one of them is a waste of money. London has a living allowance as far as I know and I can see the logic for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,605 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I thanked your post. Then I stopped. And reconsidered. But yes. This is indeed the only post of yours I can recall aligning with basic common sense and the interests of the Irish nation. Well done. Stopped clocks and all that. Surprise me more often.

TLDR; Island allowances: seriously? We live on an island.

Sand wrote: »
    I thanked your post. Then I stopped. And reconsidered. But yes. This is indeed the only post of yours I can recall aligning with basic common sense and the interests of the Irish nation. Well done. Stopped clocks and all that. Surprise me more often.

TLDR; Island allowances: seriously? We live on an island.

Well thank you for that:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

The Civil Service is a part of the broader Public Service OP, you do know that don't you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement