Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to start up in politics

• 29-09-2012 11:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

How would i go about having a career in politics. what qualifications would i need who do i join after i am qualified how risky is it etc *

*any other information would help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,605 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Well, in Ireland you tend to be born into a career in politics. If your Da hasn't given you his seat in the will you're already behind the curve. Other than that, the only qualifications you need are a huge amount of cynicism - the rest will come naturally.

Secondly, the idea of people investigating a "career" in politics is troublesome to me. It almost disqualifies you in my eyes from ever being a political representative.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sand wrote: »
    Well, in Ireland you tend to be born into a career in politics. If your Da hasn't given you his seat in the will you're already behind the curve. Other than that, the only qualifications you need are a huge amount of cynicism - the rest will come naturally.

Secondly, the idea of people investigating a "career" in politics is troublesome to me. It almost disqualifies you in my eyes from ever being a political representative.

This to an extent.

However, getting involved at an early age in student politics, then a local party group in your area, then looking to become a councillor and then a td seems to be the approach.

Why do you want to be a politician?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Politics is a pretty vague term. Generally, the appellation of "politician" is taken as being synonymous to "elected official" but this isn't entirely true. A politician is simply an individual who, as a profession, works in politics. Thus, we can deduce that a politician need not ever win an election but rather, they simply are involved somehow in governance or any other activity that could be deem political.

Now that that's cleared up, the question remains as to just what it is that you wish to do. Do you want to become an elected official or do you simply wish to work in politics? My inclination is that the former is the case and if so, there is no clearly defined path. My advice would be that you start out by getting involved in local politics. Many people who do rise to office start out as an election aide for a party or individual. This isn't very grandiose but it would introduce you to the world of elections and it would give you a taste of what it takes to win a vote.

Besides that, I would advice you to study politics and I don't simply mean that you should read RTE articles or watch broadcasts of the dail. Don't fret over qualifications or any of that because it's not what you hold on paper that will get you what you want, it's what you know. Many of the greatest political minds in history had little formal training, they learned the art of politicking by study and observation. More than almost any other profession, politics requires a shrewd mind and a nose for an opportunity, these are skills that can not be taught, they must be learned.

My advice would be that you start out by reading some of the great books on politics. I suggest that you begin with the Prince by Machiavelli because I can think of few better book on the mirthless reality of human nature. Prepare yourself well because even if you have good intentions, the reality is politics is a game of manipulation.

As a final note, just bear one thing in mind, some of the most influential and successful politicians in history never won an election. Why, because they didn't have to ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

Become a barrister first........serriously a fast track...study EU law and constitutional law...voluteer to work for a party...decide where you want to go....the EU or stay in Dublin......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If you have a full time career would you be prepared to give it up to make a run at election?
    Most first time candidates fail and now you are unemployed
    Pascal Donohue in Dublin Central did that, had a top job with Procter & Gamble which he left and then failed at plenty of elections before finally making it to the Dáil. And him with a young family.

If you a teacher and take a career break or a publican, something like that then it's a lot easier on you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Sappa wrote: »
    It's a fact anyone who is involved in student politics is a wanker.
    Im sick of these retards in the dail getting paid what thay do and making a balls of the country im 16 and know i could do better it couldnt be that difficult

MOD NOTE:

These kinds of posts aren't appropriate for this forum. Per the charter:

This is a Politics forum, not Liveline.

Certain standards of debate are expected, and will be enforced. Your posts must contribute to debate, not derail it or drag it into mob chanting.
    the general rule is "contribute to debate or GTFO". If what you're doing isn't discussing politics but competing for the top slot on Joe Duffy, you're in the wrong place

Please dial it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't think there are any qualifications or minimum requirements in Irish politics as regards education etc...

Mostly financial and popularity is required hence the standards of politician we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Is you aim to have a carer in politics just to be in politics or do you have some political goals you want to achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Join your local Fianna Fáil cumann. The handful of kindly old dears and lifelong voters who attend will take a shine to your youthful enthusiasm, and 'desire to return this great Republican party back to the one envisaged by Lemass'. Write a few policy documents, and start attending the Ard Fheis. Get seen, shake a few hands, work out who else there is up to the same thing as you. Buy a moderately expensive suit, and get your teeth whitened. Not too white though. The occasional letter to your local rag about some issue of moderate importance can only be a positive. Do not adopt a controversial opinion though. Populism is key.

Get put on the ticket for the Council elections. You probably won't get in the first time. Don't be disillusioned. Fianna Fáil is a tough sell at the moment. You've registered as a blip on the radar of the chaps up in HQ. Patience is key. Even the most optimistic of FF lifers thinks it will take at least 10 years for the electorate to forget what happened under Bertie and the lads. They'll be back though. And you'll have been there during the dark days, helping to rebuild the party 'from the grassroots'.

Dispense with ideological hangups and beliefs. Look at Joe Higgins and Shane Ross. These lads actually believe in the rubbish they spout! Adopt a safe middle ground, and stay there. The Irish electorate are an inherently conservative bunch, and you don't want to be frightening them with ideas about abolishing tax, or privatising the Intel factory. Keep the teeth whitened. Not too white though.

• Site Banned Posts: 28 MC Homicidal Maniac

Start a civil war like Fianna Fail did. I'll help but only if we make Robbie Keane king.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

its a pity to see how many people want to put the lad off politics, ok it probably wouldnt be the most popular profession at present, but i firmly believe it needs a good shake up where new people come in with new fresh ideas to bring us away from the same old ****.maybe the op has ideas that are different to what we currently see and maybe he can see himself changing things if he can gain future election. different approach definitely needed out with the old in with the new, best of luck op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

twoandahalfmen, it'd be interesting to read what it is you'd like to be involved in politics for. Do you want to change something you see as a problem?

What are those problems you see?

Depending on the answer to that - then a good first step might be to meet up with some like minded peoples. Find some politician that you respect and ask if you can help out for a few months; do they have any work that needs doing, whatever hours free you have per week, so you could learn a bit about politics and how their office works. (offer a few months so they know you're not a tyre kicker, and you can always walk if it's not for you)

Don't consider this forum representative of politics, there are lots of great minds here, but this is a place of discussion not action. Politics is all about co-ordinated action.

The action you take could be a simple as handing out flyers for a cause you believe in or as complicated as drafting an amendment for a bill and trying to get cross party support for it. It all depends on your skills and your commitment.

Good luck & fair play on the interest. Apathy is the poison that got us into this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

edanto wrote: »
    twoandahalfmen, it'd be interesting to read what it is you'd like to be involved in politics for. Do you want to change something you see as a problem?

What are those problems you see?

there probably wouldnt be enough room on the forum;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

How would i go about having a career in politics. what qualifications would i need who do i join after i am qualified how risky is it etc *

*any other information would help

A brass neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭squonk

to be honest it's a balls of a job and I'm quite convinced that the entire system exists solely to sap any creativity and initiative out of young people coming into the business. I've seen politics from the grassroots level growing up. Get yourself a council seat. The unfortunate thing is that you're better off being a state employee doing that so you can take a 'work break' to facilitate this. Many talented people don't have the luxury to leave their job and have it waiting there for them if the politics gig doesn't work out.

Get involved in your party. Never mind the other parties vying for a potential Dail seat you're running for. The realy enemies lie within your own party so be prepared for squabbling over getting on the ticket and loads of BS over territories and vote management.

So, you win the election and get to the Dail, well done. Are you still feeling motivated, have goals and a drive to achieve them? Not quite as much as starting out but it's still there? Good for you! Now, sit on the back benches and be forced to follow idiotic government policies drempt up by a cabal within the party with one eye on fundraising and another on getting elected next time round. In order to do this they'll have to keep the monied types happy so policies will no doubt reflect this. They'll also have to get elected so, instead of actually doing something, they'll prevaricate and dodge issues if they can at all. Something requiring decisive leadership will be fudged and end up either not getting done or getting half done but costing twice or three times as much. You, as a back bencher, will be forced to follow this line and go on local radio as an apologist for this farce. You will also need to get your name in on every policy decision made that affects your local constituents so you'll be forwarding letters either by mail or inappropriate use of social media reiterating government decisions, wording them to make it sound like you personally lobbied for these all along and the decisions are a result of your tireless efforts.

Surprisingly, even at this point, you still have some modicum of vision, drive and improvements you want to see happening in your country? Congratulations! You've been reelected and you've been identified as a rising star in the party. You get to be a Junior Minister or even a Minister. Now's your chance to put in train some of those innovative policies you've been dreaming up since your schooldays. Not so fast! In addition to maintaining the party's circle of monied benefactors and needing to protect your seat, you now face unwarranted pressure from lobby groups and Unions as you try to push through your reforms and plans. As the govenment you are a part of is largely spineless, like all governments before, nobody has ever stood up to the Unions and vested interests. You face a hard choice. You can probably push through one of your innovative ideas in whole or a lot in part. If you decide to push one through you face standing up to the vested interests on all sides buy you do that. It's hailed as a genuine reform however yoru stock wains in the party due to having crossed one too many in getting your victory. If, on the other hand, you decide to compromise and get as many policies pushed through as possible, nothing concrete comes at the end of the process. the policies designed to make real improvements and cost cuts actually only go half way and cost twice or three times as much as envisaged. You release briefing notes so the back benchers can go on local radio defending this farce.

Still up for the job?

Advertisement