Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a place for new Unionist political party in the Republic?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Yeah, they turned out in their tens of thousands to cheer on their head of state the Queen when she was in Dublin :D Maybe somebody should have told that to the 82,000 who stood for Amhrán na bhFiann before the throm in last Sunday !!!!!!

Empty O'Connell St apart from Guards greet Queen !!! http://www.ctvnews.ca/tight-security-surrounds-queen-during-historic-irish-visit-1.645406

I think we all know why O' Connell street was emptied like that. It had nothing to do with the average "joe soap" and everything to do with vicious elements within republicanism. If that threat didn't exist, plenty of people would have ventured out to see the Queen. Cork wasn't exactly deserted when it was deemed safe enough to allow public access to her. The fact that the city needed to be locked down in that manner, is nothing to be proud of!

Whilst we most definitely need a change in the political landscape in this country, the idea of a unionist party being set up down here is about as likely as any of the mainstream parties entering government with SF with its current front bench, i.e. zero. The unionist politicians I have seen have been very impressive and they do have the potential to capture the middle and upper classes down here, in my opinion, something that SF is failing to do but they will not move down here.

Personally, I believe a place within a strong union of European countries is the more realistic path for us but I do believe we should build stronger economical ties with England. I think a union with N.I. has very little to offer us, in any positive sense for a least another 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

COYW wrote: »
    I think we all know why O' Connell street was emptied like that. It had nothing to do with the average "joe soap" and everything to do with vicious elements within republicanism. If that threat didn't exist, plenty of people would have ventured out to see the Queen. Cork wasn't exactly deserted when it was deemed safe enough to allow public access to her. The fact that the city needed to be locked down in that manner, is nothing to be proud of!

Whilst we most definitely need a change in the political landscape in this country, the idea of a unionist party being set up down here is about as likely as any of the mainstream parties entering government with SF with its current front bench, i.e. zero. The unionist politicians I have seen have been very impressive and they do have the potential to capture the middle and upper classes down here, in my opinion, something that SF is failing to do but they will not move down here.

Personally, I believe a place within a strong union of European countries is the more realistic path for us but I do believe we should build stronger economical ties with England. I think a union with N.I. has very little to offer us, in any positive sense for a least another 20 years.

The Unionists need filter out the hardcore racist and homophobic element before they'd be even considered a realistic political party outside of the north.

And as for the Queen, no antiquated fear of the 'RA would have stopped me and mine seeing the Queen....we just didn't want to. Also it must be noted that any anti-British Monarchy literature was banned from the City center in the run up to the visit.....because they knew that with all the fairytale weddings in the world, the Queen simply isn't popular in Ireland, IRA/Sinn Fein or no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

COYW wrote: »

:rolleyes: Oh Gawd all the SFers will get so worked up ..... your really such a clever fellla COYW .......... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Site Banned Posts: 28 MC Homicidal Maniac

Irish democracy is a joke. It essentially doesn't exist since the current parties can deny new parties registration.

I believe that all political parties in Ireland should be banned and their members imprisoned so we can start a new modern Monarchy. At least the feudal system didn't pretend to be democratic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

I wonder how many of the rapid republicans on this politics section support the great British (sorry Irish) institution that is Celtic Football Club..... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Madworld wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the rapid republicans on this politics section the great British (sorry Irish) institution that is Celtic Football Club..... :cool:

Hmmm. that doesnt make any sense but i think i get the gist of the point you were clumsily trying to make. i dont watch soccer myself but are you under the impression that being a republican means you cant like things from other countries? Scotland in this case? Perhaps you should learn what republicanism is before you go trying to score points against it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

I wonder how many of the rapid republicans on this politics section support the great British (sorry Irish) institution that is Celtic Football Club..... :cool:
    Little interest in soccer, more of a GAA man and motorbiker obviously. But then this is par for the course when anyone takes a republican viewpoint, SF are 18% in the polls down here, the largest nationalist party in the north, to try and make out that we are all Wolfe Tone listening Celtic up the 'Rah heads is wearing very thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

murphaph wrote: »
    I don't think political union with the UK would serve anyone particularly well, least of all the English, assuming Ireland would have to adopt UK corporation tax rates and with them watch the flight of large numbers of employers and with it would be dependent on subsidies.

What I would like to see is more people with a "protestant" ethic in politics, if you know what I mean. The oul prods up the north might be annoying to some on here but I admire their convictions wrt certain things.

When unionist politicians are caught "misbehaving" they are gone, booted out generally, even if they did "great work in the constituency". In the south, we re-elect the scoundrels who probably can't believe their luck.

I wish we hadn't lost so many protestants (though we lost mostly CoI, who are probably more like the catholics than the Presbyterians!). I'm sure it had a lasting (negative) effect on our political life. We need more diversity than we have in the Dail, that's for sure. Centrist lame parties that have no real agenda and a couple of small crackpot ones for good measure.

I can't but help feel that some of the "stauncher" unionist politicians up north couldn't help cut through the BS down south.

I certainly agree we suffered as a nation from a losing so many protestants. However I'd more mourn the loss of anglo irish descent COI-ers. I don't like the evangelical style religious attitudes which undeniably have a far bigger presence in the north.

Catholicism definitely affected us negatively in the past but I think its a lot less complicated being a secular catholic or anglican than a secular evangelical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

i wonder do scottish nationalists get berated for supporting shamrock rovers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

"Rapid Republicans" too fast and too many, reminds me of an old Jim Croce song "Rapid Roy"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭StudentDad

That's the thing - this country isn't a republic - if it was the RC Church would have been told to take a hike years ago - there would be an absolute separation of Church and State - etc etc etc - as it stands the only difference between the Republic of Ireland and the UK is that after independence we tacked on a written constitution and a President. That's it. Whooopdy bloody do! The RC Church got it's hands on real power - the wealthy classes held onto their positions - anybody who didn't like the 'new' regime were told to take a hike.

Now that the economy has gone tits up - the old guard are making sure the old rules apply - they keep their positions and anyone who doesn't like it can emigrate.

What a depressing little dance this country goes through in cycles. Yeah 'independence' was really worth it!

SD

Advertisement