Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a place for new Unionist political party in the Republic?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

I dunno. Obviously reunion would be years away if achievable at all but there would be noting wrong with promoting it and closer business and cultural ties with the UK overall.
    Getting active in promoting the rejoining of the Commonwealth would be a good start point I think.
    I know that the Reform Group are kinda active in promoting the joining to the Commonwealth but they are a bit of a one trick pony. They do little else.

I can't see any Irish person rushing to sign up with a foreign country. Partnership in trade yes, bowing to a joke of a monarchy? I can't see it. Apart from trade, which is ongoing anyway, there is no logical reason to 're-join' any British institution...and saying 're-join' ignores the fact that we never 'joined' in the first place, more press ganged, with menace.

Actually, let's sign up with China! Well apart from the crimes against humanity and war mongering, great for our economy and comepletely nothing like the U.K....no, wait...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

...the geography, the history, the culture...apart from that what have the Romans ever done for us..blah blah blah :rolleyes:
    Which is like asking what has a thief who broke into your house and robbed ever done for you :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

An Coilean wrote: »

How exactly this can be said to show Ireland Suffering much more after Independance than it did under Brith Rule after the Famine is beyond me.

Ireland was poorer after independence, it was more insular and the economic war of the 30s wrecked our economy. The economic emphasis on self reliance was an almost complete catastrophe, there really isn't much debate about that. I'll take your point on emigration but Ireland was not unique for having such large emigration figures at this time. Millions of Germans, Jews and Scandanavians moved to America and helped populate the great eastern cities and the interior. Now the Jews were basically forced out because of pogroms in the Russian Empire but the Germans and Scandanavians moved for economic reasons, just like the Irish did.
    Are you really trying to suggest that direct rule from London did anything for this country?

I'm suggesting that life was not an abject misery in the post famine era like you seem to think. Or that everyone in Ireland was agitating for an independent republic, it was much more complex than that. By and large daily life went on and it was an irrelevance as to whether the government had Irish or British accents.
    Perspective Indeed.

British Imperialism was directly responsible for the fact that during the period 1851-1911, one in three people were forced to leave the country. An abstract irrelevance? Are you insane? It had an absoutly astounding impact on the nation and on the individual.

How was British 'Imperialism' directly responsible for this? Large numbers of English and Scottish emigrated during this period as well. Not in the same numbers as the Irish obviously but this was a period of huge emigration from Europe to the New World. I don't think its anywhere near as simplistic as you think.

For example, you need to look at the economic climate in Ireland which was largely fostered by the Irish themselves as a result of land reform and the subsequent consolidation. In an effort to maintain viable land plots, Irish farmers ensured that the land always went to the eldest son (In most cases) Now this eldest son inherited everything. The huge surplus of siblings that the Irish famously produced would emigrate if they couldn't get jobs in the local trades or industry. Again, nothing surprising there as this island essentially has no worthwhile economic resources, particularly in an era where much of the industrial base was concentrated in heavy industries that required direct access to raw materials that simply was not produced in Ireland. That wasn't a consequence of economic 'Imperialism', it was an economic reality and many Irish people understood that the lack of opportunity in Ireland often meant they would need to emigrate to find better lives for themselves. I also think it interesting that the expat Irish American community was often much more radical and Republican than the Irish in Ireland itself, which would lead me to think that a certain resentment over been forced out of the country for economic reasons coloured their perspective.
    Culturally it demanded nothing less than that Irish people become English people, and it gained much success, forcibly changing the national language from Irish to English and continued to implement the policies of doing so after the Famine. It insisted that anything Irish was inferior, backward and immoral. Irish Language, Games, Customs etc were bog language, bog games etc.

The gaelic games and language were revived by Irish nationalists and republicans and were hardly suppressed by this evil Empire. Gaelic language schools were tolerated, and a vibrant Gaelic revival movement sprouted up, largely tolerated the Empire. In any case, the gaelic games were an invention, like most historical traditions, loosely connected to games played by ancient forefathers.

The language was naturally changing anyway - that famous Imperialist hater of the Irish Daniel O'Connell was famously opposed to the Irish language arguing that it was un-necessary and anachronistic in the modern world (modern as in early to mid 19th century) The anglicisation of Ireland was a largely natural process as Gaelic simply ceased to serve any useful function anymore. Whether this would have happened were Ireland an independent country is debateable, but frankly to most people its an irrelevance.
    At any claim of a tolerant Empire, I would encourage you to examin the policies adopted and implemented when its hold over Ireland was questioned. The intolorent and downright brutal nature of British Imperialism in Ireland is all too apparent.
    It was fundemantaly, unrepentently and violently opposed to any notion of Irish freedom.

Yet any number of publications from the 19th century would appear to ridicule this assertion. In times of rebellious strife and/or civil discord the Brits would suppress certain publications, but by and large there was a great deal of tolerance for national ideas. By the standards of the time, the British political system was remarkably progressive.

Of course it was fundamentally, unrepentantly and violently opposed to any notion of Irish freedom - any Empire would be the same. But any attempt to paint the British Empire as some obscurantist and repressive entity within Ireland is a little silly when looked at in its context. All that said, I'm not saying that the British Empire didn't do some thoroughly dreadful things, particularly in India and the like.
    As for tolerating disent, again are we saying that The Brits really were not that bad, or are you continuing your assertation that they were much better than Independant Ireland?

All I'm saying is to have some perspective, and not be in hock to the standard Republican dogma of 800 years of unrelenting misery and poverty. I will take back some of my earlier comments, which in hindsight appear a little heavy handed and overly certain. There is a lot to be skeptical about, in both sides of the debate. The people of East London could very well look on in envy at the middling Irish peasant of the early 20th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Denerick wrote: »
    Ireland was poorer after independence, it was more insular and the economic war of the 30s wrecked our economy. The economic emphasis on self reliance was an almost complete catastrophe, there really isn't much debate about that. I'll take your point on emigration but Ireland was not unique for having such large emigration figures at this time. Millions of Germans, Jews and Scandanavians moved to America and helped populate the great eastern cities and the interior. Now the Jews were basically forced out because of pogroms in the Russian Empire but the Germans and Scandanavians moved for economic reasons, just like the Irish did.

I'm suggesting that life was not an abject misery in the post famine era like you seem to think. Or that everyone in Ireland was agitating for an independent republic, it was much more complex than that. By and large daily life went on and it was an irrelevance as to whether the government had Irish or British accents.

How was British 'Imperialism' directly responsible for this? Large numbers of English and Scottish emigrated during this period as well. Not in the same numbers as the Irish obviously but this was a period of huge emigration from Europe to the New World. I don't think its anywhere near as simplistic as you think.

For example, you need to look at the economic climate in Ireland which was largely fostered by the Irish themselves as a result of land reform and the subsequent consolidation. In an effort to maintain viable land plots, Irish farmers ensured that the land always went to the eldest son (In most cases) Now this eldest son inherited everything. The huge surplus of siblings that the Irish famously produced would emigrate if they couldn't get jobs in the local trades or industry. Again, nothing surprising there as this island essentially has no worthwhile economic resources, particularly in an era where much of the industrial base was concentrated in heavy industries that required direct access to raw materials that simply was not produced in Ireland. That wasn't a consequence of economic 'Imperialism', it was an economic reality and many Irish people understood that the lack of opportunity in Ireland often meant they would need to emigrate to find better lives for themselves. I also think it interesting that the expat Irish American community was often much more radical and Republican than the Irish in Ireland itself, which would lead me to think that a certain resentment over been forced out of the country for economic reasons coloured their perspective.

The gaelic games and language were revived by Irish nationalists and republicans and were hardly suppressed by this evil Empire. Gaelic language schools were tolerated, and a vibrant Gaelic revival movement sprouted up, largely tolerated the Empire. In any case, the gaelic games were an invention, like most historical traditions, loosely connected to games played by ancient forefathers.

The language was naturally changing anyway - that famous Imperialist hater of the Irish Daniel O'Connell was famously opposed to the Irish language arguing that it was un-necessary and anachronistic in the modern world (modern as in early to mid 19th century) The anglicisation of Ireland was a largely natural process as Gaelic simply ceased to serve any useful function anymore. Whether this would have happened were Ireland an independent country is debateable, but frankly to most people its an irrelevance.

Yet any number of publications from the 19th century would appear to ridicule this assertion. In times of rebellious strife and/or civil discord the Brits would suppress certain publications, but by and large there was a great deal of tolerance for national ideas. By the standards of the time, the British political system was remarkably progressive.

Of course it was fundamentally, unrepentantly and violently opposed to any notion of Irish freedom - any Empire would be the same. But any attempt to paint the British Empire as some obscurantist and repressive entity within Ireland is a little silly when looked at in its context. All that said, I'm not saying that the British Empire didn't do some thoroughly dreadful things, particularly in India and the like.

All I'm saying is to have some perspective, and not be in hock to the standard Republican dogma of 800 years of unrelenting misery and poverty. I will take back some of my earlier comments, which in hindsight appear a little heavy handed and overly certain. There is a lot to be skeptical about, in both sides of the debate. The people of East London could very well look on in envy at the middling Irish peasant of the early 20th century.
    Are you trying to say the British weren't as bad to Ireland as some Republicans like to make out? That's your point is it?

Yes, they did what they could as an empire to benefit themselves just like every other empire did and would do but if you look at the past 200 years the damage the British did to Ireland is incalculable and permanent.

Ireland was poorer after independence, it was more insular and the economic war of the 30s were a direct consequence of British rule.

It's easy for most Irish people to put British rule in context, it's had no effect on any of us, and from any perspective we would have been better off as being independent, Ireland didn't benefit from the union in the same way as the Scottish did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I have no interest in the idea of a "New Unionist Party" in the Republic but it does seem to me that the discussion has wandered seriously off topic. It's gotten bogged down in questions of what the union WAS rather than discussions of what such a party would be campaigning for the new union TO BE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

I was just thinking that there is very little variety in politics here in the Republic. All the mainstream parties are Republicans of one streak or another be they FG or FF and SF. Labour are essentially Republican also as they were all the one with the "Official" IRA except with a more left wing outlook.

Off topic: I mean how many IRAs can there be. Official IRA, Old IRA, CIRA, PIRA and RIRA. Even today I say a referce to the RCIRA -Real Continuity. FFS like."

Even at FG there is a lack of any sort of conservative party but thats another story.

Now I know we have the Reform Group and that but there realy isn't any sort of proper unionist orientated party here in the south and given the fact that there is a growing dissatisfaction with and rejection of Nationalist/Republican based ideas coupled with the breaking of the chokehold of the Catholic church and the fact we've have a not insignificant number of protestants in the Republic, is there a possible opening for a Unionist party here again? It would be the first since the demise of the Irish Parlimentary Party.

sure why dont the chinese communist party start campaigning here while we're at it sure isnt there a significant number of chinese here aswell:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

We're already part of a Union, called the EU. No need for a unionist party if theres no public demand to leave it. Doubt anyone would want to be the 51st state either. Cant think of any other strong, united, economic powerhouse of a Union worth joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Hey OP. I believe someone has already done this for you.

http://www.dup.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

To the OP and anyone else it concerns....why ?

If the Irish asked to rejoin we would be told to bog off :-) Thats why.

London would say no surrender.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I don't think political union with the UK would serve anyone particularly well, least of all the English, assuming Ireland would have to adopt UK corporation tax rates and with them watch the flight of large numbers of employers and with it would be dependent on subsidies.

What I would like to see is more people with a "protestant" ethic in politics, if you know what I mean. The oul prods up the north might be annoying to some on here but I admire their convictions wrt certain things.

When unionist politicians are caught "misbehaving" they are gone, booted out generally, even if they did "great work in the constituency". In the south, we re-elect the scoundrels who probably can't believe their luck.

I wish we hadn't lost so many protestants (though we lost mostly CoI, who are probably more like the catholics than the Presbyterians!). I'm sure it had a lasting (negative) effect on our political life. We need more diversity than we have in the Dail, that's for sure. Centrist lame parties that have no real agenda and a couple of small crackpot ones for good measure.

I can't but help feel that some of the "stauncher" unionist politicians up north couldn't help cut through the BS down south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Ireland pretty much is the U.K apart from currency and flag,just don't tell the republicans.

I used to think so, and visually the UK is very like Ireland except with infrastructure.
    But socially... the more experience of the UK I get, the more I find subtle and some not so subtle differences.

The most apparent difference is caste/class.
    It's totally in your face, in England especially.
    If we have a similar setup in Ireland, then I don't really see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Such people would be massive reactionaries and you wouldn't be able to find their support with an electron microscope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

I was just thinking that there is very little variety in politics here in the Republic.
    Just because we don't have a Unionist party doesn't mean that there isn't "variety in politics". Modern politics shouldn't be based on what is essentially turf warfare/politics, rather how to govern a state, etc... Just basically all political parties in Ireland are republican (i.e., they agree with the concept of a republic as you would expect in most modern stable republics) doesn't mean lack of variety either.

murphaph wrote: »
    I don't think political union with the UK would serve anyone particularly well, least of all the English, assuming Ireland would have to adopt UK corporation tax rates and with them watch the flight of large numbers of employers and with it would be dependent on subsidies.

What I would like to see is more people with a "protestant" ethic in politics, if you know what I mean. The oul prods up the north might be annoying to some on here but I admire their convictions wrt certain things.

When unionist politicians are caught "misbehaving" they are gone, booted out generally, even if they did "great work in the constituency". In the south, we re-elect the scoundrels who probably can't believe their luck.
    Really !!!!! Lets just look at the First Minister for example :) " Robinson bought 'key land' for £5 - Northern Ireland First Minister Peter Robinson, and his wife Iris, bought a valuable bit of land from a developer for just £5, BBC Newsline has learned.The land deal enabled the Robinsons to sell part of their back garden for nearly £460,000. They could now be liable for thousand of pounds in taxes. " http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/othelem/organ/bbc/bbc300310.htm
    I wish we hadn't lost so many protestants (though we lost mostly CoI, who are probably more like the catholics than the Presbyterians!). I'm sure it had a lasting (negative) effect on our political life. We need more diversity than we have in the Dail, that's for sure. Centrist lame parties that have no real agenda and a couple of small crackpot ones for good measure.

I can't but help feel that some of the "stauncher" unionist politicians up north couldn't help cut through the BS down south.
    The stauncher unionists as you put it ran campaigns like Save Ulster from Sodomy against the opening of a sex shop in Belfast and some of them believe that the Protestants in the six counties are descended from one of the lost tribes of Israel *, and claim to speak a ' language ' called Ulster Scots :). Indeed the unionists ran the statelet so badly for 50 years despite been bankrolled by the British, that the Brits had to come in in 1969. abolish Stormont and run it from London for the next 25 years. Power couldn't be returned to Stormont until the Good Friday Agreement which ensures power sharing with nationalists and Sinn Fein have kept them in line.

* http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/may/26/northern-ireland-ulster-museum-creationism

Really !!!!! Lets just look at the First Minister for example :) " Robinson bought 'key land' for £5 - Northern Ireland First Minister Peter Robinson, and his wife Iris, bought a valuable bit of land from a developer for just £5, BBC Newsline has learned.The land deal enabled the Robinsons to sell part of their back garden for nearly £460,000. They could now be liable for thousand of pounds in taxes. " http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/othelem/organ/bbc/bbc300310.htm

Peter Robinson stepped down during the investigation into that matter which cleared him. His wife resigned from all politics including Westminster. She sufferes from mental illness anyway, so perhaps she even had a bit of an excuse.
    The stauncher unionists as you put it ran campaigns like Save Ulster from Sodomy against the opening of a sex shop in Belfast and some of them believe that the Protestants in the six counties are descended from one of the lost tribes of Israel *, and claim to speak a ' language ' called Ulster Scots :). Indeed the unionists ran the statelet so badly for 50 years despite been bankrolled by the British, that the Brits had to come in in 1969. abolish Stormont and run it from London for the next 25 years. Power couldn't be returned to Stormont until the Good Friday Agreement which ensures power sharing with nationalists and Sinn Fein have kept them in line.
    SF have kept them in line? Give me a break. If you choose to believe the SF spin then go ahead, but spare me.

As for the more conservative (nutters) amongst the unionist ranks up there, don't forget that just a few short years ago women down south couldn't get any for of contraceptives without a prescription while those backward prods up north made them available OTC.

Do you think sex shops are a traditional thing in the south? :rolleyes:

Do you think homosexuals in the RoI have a grand time? (Hint: try any small town in Ireland and see if the gays are in or out of the closet!)

There are ultra conservatives on all sides up north. I am referring to a specific character trait that I think is lacking down south that we could do with (more integrity). You are obviously coloured by your political beliefs but that doesn't change the facts.

What have the last two posts got to do with the OP.

This north/ south who is better or worse thing is silly...

And pretty much most right wingers everywhere have their obligitary bigot contingent. That is an interntional phenomenon.

The OP was Union with the UK ..It seems the main objections are from the British ..followed by objections from the Irish..other than that...it's still not a great idea

Peter Robinson stepped down during the investigation into that matter which cleared him. His wife resigned from all politics including Westminster. She sufferes from mental illness anyway, so perhaps she even had a bit of an excuse.

SF have kept them in line? Give me a break. If you choose to believe the SF spin then go ahead, but spare me.

As for the more conservative (nutters) amongst the unionist ranks up there, don't forget that just a few short years ago women down south couldn't get any for of contraceptives without a prescription while those backward prods up north made them available OTC.

Do you think homosexuals in the RoI have a grand time? (Hint: try any small town in Ireland and see if the gays are in or out of the closet!)

There are ultra conservatives on all sides up north. I am referring to a specific character trait that I think is lacking down south that we could do with (more integrity). You are obviously coloured by your political beliefs but that doesn't change the facts.

Sex shops are at the heart of Gaeltacht culture man..it's who we are.

We belong to the plethera of cultures in which modern sex shops are ancient tradition.

Telly bingo is and has been watched avidly by little old ladies all around Ireland in the afternoon.

My Pussy and Shirley Temple Bar are rural Icons.

And you hve obviously never driven all over Ireland with a drag queen.

Obviously... admit it you haven't have you!

Yeah Robo got cleared just like FF's Sean Doherty, Haughey and so many others down the years :rolleyes: ( Not proven as they would refer to it in a Scottish court). As for Mrs Robinson, well the sex scandal with the young fella finished her off :D And this was the same woman who said that gays were worse than paedophiles FFS.

Quite clearly your political beliefs are formed by blinkers and damn narrow ones at that !!! " specific character trait..... integrity " :eek:, the same people who ran the most nasty, vicious, discriminatory state 1922 -1969 outside of Alabama in the deep south of America ?? The same " integrity " that said over their dead bodies would they power share with SF and then did so ?

Yeah Robo got cleared just like FF's Sean Doherty, Haughey and so many others down the years :rolleyes: ( Not proven as they would refer to it in a Scottish court). As for Mrs Robinson, well the sex scandal with the young fella finished her off :D And this was the same woman who said that gays were worse than paedophiles FFS.
    I'm sure when SF politicians are cleared of any wrong doing you also say it's "not proven", right? As for oul Iris, like I said she suffers from a mental illness, so I'll not rush to judge her nor take what she utters too seriously. Do you think all SF members are supporters of homosexuality? :rolleyes:
    Quite clearly your political beliefs are formed by blinkers and damn narrow ones at that !!! " specific character trait..... integrity " :eek:, the same people who ran the most nasty, vicious, discriminatory state 1922 -1969 outside of Alabama in the deep south of America ?? The same " integrity " that said over their dead bodies would they power share with SF and then did so ?
    1969? I wasn't even born then. That's almost 44 years ago now ;)

I basically think Ireland would have been a more pluralistic society had we not split the island in two, whether under the crown or as an independent country. I think we lost something, maybe you can't understand what I'm talking about and that's fair enough.

I'm sure when SF politicians are cleared of any wrong doing you also say it's "not proven", right? As for oul Iris, like I said she suffers from a mental illness, so I'll not rush to judge her nor take what she utters too seriously. Do you think all SF members are supporters of homosexuality? :rolleyes:

1969? I wasn't even born then. That's almost 44 years ago now ;)

I basically think Ireland would have been a more pluralistic society had we not split the island in two, whether under the crown or as an independent country. I think we lost something, maybe you can't understand what I'm talking about and that's fair enough.
    Yes, but just pointing out how much " integrity " unionism had for nearly 50 years when it had the run of the place 1922 - 69. It had about as much " integrity " as the KKK in the deep south.

Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Yeah, they turned out in their tens of thousands to cheer on their head of state the Queen when she was in Dublin :D Maybe somebody should have told that to the 82,000 who stood for Amhrán na bhFiann before the throm in last Sunday !!!!!!

Empty O'Connell St apart from Guards greet Queen !!! http://www.ctvnews.ca/tight-security-surrounds-queen-during-historic-irish-visit-1.645406

I think we all know why O' Connell street was emptied like that. It had nothing to do with the average "joe soap" and everything to do with vicious elements within republicanism. If that threat didn't exist, plenty of people would have ventured out to see the Queen. Cork wasn't exactly deserted when it was deemed safe enough to allow public access to her. The fact that the city needed to be locked down in that manner, is nothing to be proud of!

Whilst we most definitely need a change in the political landscape in this country, the idea of a unionist party being set up down here is about as likely as any of the mainstream parties entering government with SF with its current front bench, i.e. zero. The unionist politicians I have seen have been very impressive and they do have the potential to capture the middle and upper classes down here, in my opinion, something that SF is failing to do but they will not move down here.

Personally, I believe a place within a strong union of European countries is the more realistic path for us but I do believe we should build stronger economical ties with England. I think a union with N.I. has very little to offer us, in any positive sense for a least another 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

COYW wrote: »
    I think we all know why O' Connell street was emptied like that. It had nothing to do with the average "joe soap" and everything to do with vicious elements within republicanism. If that threat didn't exist, plenty of people would have ventured out to see the Queen. Cork wasn't exactly deserted when it was deemed safe enough to allow public access to her. The fact that the city needed to be locked down in that manner, is nothing to be proud of!

Whilst we most definitely need a change in the political landscape in this country, the idea of a unionist party being set up down here is about as likely as any of the mainstream parties entering government with SF with its current front bench, i.e. zero. The unionist politicians I have seen have been very impressive and they do have the potential to capture the middle and upper classes down here, in my opinion, something that SF is failing to do but they will not move down here.

Personally, I believe a place within a strong union of European countries is the more realistic path for us but I do believe we should build stronger economical ties with England. I think a union with N.I. has very little to offer us, in any positive sense for a least another 20 years.

The Unionists need filter out the hardcore racist and homophobic element before they'd be even considered a realistic political party outside of the north.

And as for the Queen, no antiquated fear of the 'RA would have stopped me and mine seeing the Queen....we just didn't want to. Also it must be noted that any anti-British Monarchy literature was banned from the City center in the run up to the visit.....because they knew that with all the fairytale weddings in the world, the Queen simply isn't popular in Ireland, IRA/Sinn Fein or no.

COYW wrote: »

:rolleyes: Oh Gawd all the SFers will get so worked up ..... your really such a clever fellla COYW .......... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Site Banned Posts: 28 MC Homicidal Maniac

Irish democracy is a joke. It essentially doesn't exist since the current parties can deny new parties registration.

I believe that all political parties in Ireland should be banned and their members imprisoned so we can start a new modern Monarchy. At least the feudal system didn't pretend to be democratic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

I wonder how many of the rapid republicans on this politics section support the great British (sorry Irish) institution that is Celtic Football Club..... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Madworld wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the rapid republicans on this politics section the great British (sorry Irish) institution that is Celtic Football Club..... :cool:

Hmmm. that doesnt make any sense but i think i get the gist of the point you were clumsily trying to make. i dont watch soccer myself but are you under the impression that being a republican means you cant like things from other countries? Scotland in this case? Perhaps you should learn what republicanism is before you go trying to score points against it

I wonder how many of the rapid republicans on this politics section support the great British (sorry Irish) institution that is Celtic Football Club..... :cool:
    Little interest in soccer, more of a GAA man and motorbiker obviously. But then this is par for the course when anyone takes a republican viewpoint, SF are 18% in the polls down here, the largest nationalist party in the north, to try and make out that we are all Wolfe Tone listening Celtic up the 'Rah heads is wearing very thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

I certainly agree we suffered as a nation from a losing so many protestants. However I'd more mourn the loss of anglo irish descent COI-ers. I don't like the evangelical style religious attitudes which undeniably have a far bigger presence in the north.

Catholicism definitely affected us negatively in the past but I think its a lot less complicated being a secular catholic or anglican than a secular evangelical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

i wonder do scottish nationalists get berated for supporting shamrock rovers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

"Rapid Republicans" too fast and too many, reminds me of an old Jim Croce song "Rapid Roy"

Advertisement