Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 10 first date faux pas

• 14-03-2009 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Funny article at the Telegraph today

This is the summary:

1. Clicking fingers at the waiter

2. Adding salt to the meal before tasting it

3. Getting drunk

4. Licking the plate clean

5. Burping

6. Picking teeth with fingers

7. Licking the knife

8. Slurping soup

9. Talking about sex or bodily functions

10. Not leaving a tip

In the same article there is an interesting comment:
    Almost half of adults hated someone picking their teeth with their finger nails instead of using the toothpicks provided

Now, that is where it gets interesting for me... I was brought up abroad and toothpicks are my tool of choice to deal with pieces of meat stuck between my teeth. But apaprently Irish people have an issue with them, so at restaurants you see people using their nails instead and that is a rather common view, very nice....

So, can anyone explain what is the big issue with toothpicks? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Zynks you have issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

I can imagine my friend doing all of those things on a date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

hmm, I'm gonna do every single one of them on my next first date to see does it work. It'll throw in a few farts aswell for good measure and blame the other person each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭HarryPalmer

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    It'll throw in a few farts aswell for good measure and blame the other person each time.

Good stuff. A touch of class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Some of those would be faux pas anyway.

I would suggest don't eat a massive salad or spaghetti or buffalo wings on a first date. All of the above are not delicate to eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Yeah on a first date with this one, I thought her younger sister was her older sister...oh the embarassment :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

star-pants wrote: »
    Some of those would be faux pas anyway.

I would suggest don't eat a massive salad or spaghetti or buffalo wings on a first date. All of the above are not delicate to eat.

I was hoping to have a "Lady and the tramp" Moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

But what if you know that the meal your about to eat needs salt as youve had it lots of other times and always put salt on it?

You just supposed to eat a bite even though you know it's not going to taste nice without salt just cause the person opposite you will think you're a dirty lillte hoe if you don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I think this explains it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Zynks you have issues...

You hurt my feelings! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Lying about your age/weight/appearance before going on a blind date. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

i went of a first date recently where he said "this rounds on you yeah cause i hate bringing girls out and paying for things" "i wont make you my girlfriend yet but we'll see" (first date) and then told me i had eyes like bonnie tyler. success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Asking for your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

Zynks wrote: »

Is the thread about date faux pas or you issue with other peoples issues with toothpicks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Is the thread about date faux pas or you issue with other peoples issues with toothpicks?

I was laughing at the article and asked the missus what was the background of the Irish issue with toothpicks. She couldn't explain and suggested I posted the question in boards. I thought it would be good to tell the background since it is a good article anyway. I didn't mean to confused anyone... would you prefer if I split it into two posts? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

bambera wrote: »

But what if you know that the meal your about to eat needs salt as youve had it lots of other times and always put salt on it?

You just supposed to eat a bite even though you know it's not going to taste nice without salt just cause the person opposite you will think you're a dirty lillte hoe if you don't?
    You should give the chef the benefit of the doubt.

It's a lot easier to add salt if required than to remove it if you go overboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I know point seven mentioned licking your knife, but I think the article would have been better to say bad command of a knife and fork in general is a big no-no!

It would put me off right away, anyway!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Soiling yourself is a major no-no. Learned that one the hard way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Hahahahah
    Excellent!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

These might help...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Trouser_Press

Out of interest, was it a number one or two?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Out of interest, was it a number one or two?
    Number two and a messy, dribly one at that. For some reason she really wasn't impressed when I tried to blame the smell on her when the waiter asked about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Number two and a messy, dribly one at that. For some reason she really wasn't impressed when I tried to blame the smell on her when the waiter asked about it.

Should have blamed it on the waiter maybe mate :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

OH MY GOD, SOMEBODY PUT SHIT IN MY PANTS!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Scratching the balls is probably out of the question on a first date.

It's a bad habit of mine.

That's one of the great things about the internet, you can be posting away while scratching your nads or picking a bit of sweetcorn out of your arse and nobody knows any different !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Butterfly baby

Zynks wrote: »

To be honest wether you use a toothpick or your fingernails to pick your teeth in front of a date (that you're not in a relationship with and has no previous knowledge of your habits) would be pretty vile, neither option would be getting you a second date IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Originally Posted by Zynks

So, can anyone explain what is the big issue with toothpicks?
    I thought everybody just flossed at the table after a meal :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

Clicking fingers at the waiter is such a no no for me. How rude can you get?

Also, commenting on people in a derogatory manner is out. Double out when they are within earshot.

Oh, and people who just continue to text on their mobile phone every few minutes while you're talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

11, Putting your shlong on the table and asking does it need seasoning
    Trust me. Maaaaasive no no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Yep I did the drunk one recently then can add my own to that list (and this was all on the same night with the same guy!!- poor thing!)

1. don't wear shoes that are too big for you
    2. don't kick off said shoes in the middle of city centre and walk in your tights cause you're so drunk you can't walk in them!

no...no...no...and he still agreed to go out with me after....score!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

Picking your nose and wiping it under the table. Last date. No kiss goodnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Picking your nose and wiping it under the table. Last date. No kiss goodnight.
    Well I was gonna flick it at you but that seemed rude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buynow

Sean_K wrote: »
    You should give the chef the benefit of the doubt.

It's a lot easier to add salt if required than to remove it if you go overboard.

Adding salt before eating it is giving the chef the benefit of the doubt, if it comes out of the kitchen salted to my taste, they are making it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

11, Putting your shlong on the table and asking if she'd like some squirty cream for her cheese-cake

^^ That one mightnt go down well either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Abigayle wrote: »
    ^^ That one mightnt go down well either :)
    That was the problem :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Texting....texting...texting!
    Regardless of the explanation - if on the first date your date produces their phone and start to text..... take a deep breath..... say (when they are finished texting) 'thanks for you time, I know you are busy and I'll be in touch via text.'
    Pay your portion of the bill and leave.
    People who text during dates, especially first dates are assholes!
    Nuff said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

On a first date, couldn't you just order something that isn't going to get wedged between your teeth, thus negating the need for fingernails/toothpicks? Or you could just go to the loo and at least do it in privacy!

What really puts me off is a guy ordering a really girly dessert, like strawberry caramel cheesecake or something. Weird I know ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

aoibhebree wrote: »
    What really puts me off is a guy ordering a really girly dessert, like strawberry caramel cheesecake or something. Weird I know ...
    Only if he asks you can he eat it off your chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 RoxyHart

Pulling the whole "wine connisseur" thing, then after sending back two or three bottles that weren't "suitable", hogging the bottle and proceeding to get so hammered they snort food / saliva / mixture of both out of their noses, whilst lauging hysterically at their own "jokes" so loudly you wish there was a mute button on their forehead (the foregoing based on actual events)....ah the good ol' days!!

Advertisement