Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compensation - You get much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

BattyInNZ wrote: »
    You're lovely. I'd love to meet you :)

nothing wrong with that story if you ask me

i once drove into a big knob in a saab , i was driving a volkswagon jetta and was only driving a month at the time , i was taking off at a t junction and he was turning off the main road past me , i didnt see him indicate and pulled out hitting him just over the back wheel on the drivers side , as anyone who know vw jettas will tell you , thier about as quick at taking off as a massey ferguson tractor so i hit him doing about 5 mile an hour

long story short , the guy claimed for whiplash off my dads insurance , he got 14 k , this was in 1994 , a time when the insurance companys found it cheaper to settle than to go to court such was the amount of revenue
    (due to high premiums) they were bringing in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

i got 20000 from 2 claims when i was knocked down 2 seperate times
    blew it when i turned 18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

pajodublin wrote: »
    was in a crash about 5-6 years ago
    i was on a motorcycle and a fella pulled out in front of me and hit the car
    Dislocated shoulder is all that happened at the time
    was told by people to claim against him blah blah but i only wanted to get what damages were done and money i'd spent etc.

I got a phonecall from the mans wife a few days after the crash and she said her husband couldnt sleep and was cryin all the time sayin that he couldve killed me.
    He got on the phone to me then apologising which left ME feeling guilty for even thinking of filing an personal injury suit.
    So i didnt and now i have a trapped nerve in my shoulder which bothers me all the time and sometimes the pain is unreal....

would money have made a difference.......YES, Yes it would.........

I hope that you get it repaired by a surgeon.There might be a medical solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

raah! wrote: »
    Of course you don't have to let them do it, but you don't have to make money from their mistakes either. (although obviously not everything on that list was a mistake, but just in general)

I'm sure you realise how certain people will get annoyed with this type of thing what with the current state of everybody sueing everybody for everything.

Personally I reckon people dont sue enough, if people did sue then authorities might make sure the job is done properly th first time.
    A truck ran into me at the m50 round about and pushed me out into oncomig traffic, had my 6 yr old daughter in the car at the time. Was so relieved that we were ok I refused to sue, but then the insurance company screwed me over, didnt give me back what Id insured and paid for the car. Was left with a deficit :mad: Cnuts....at least dick turpin wore a mask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

My employers HR department investigated a claim I made. The HR investigator was a very stubborn and strong willed person but was either very negligent or what many suspect has very vain and naive views of what senior management want to hear that suits not the problem but the technological needs of the company.

The investigator then lied in his findings to management about what witnesses has said. It was the worst example of corruption ever seen in employment. Two Manager's rather than admit to this tried to cover it.I spent 7,000 on legal fees to prove my case successfully and they settled for costs and a substantial sum of money.

I wish there was more severe penalties for white collar crime and or a more willing DPP and legislation, I also regret settling but the legal debts were amounting and one key witness was unavailable and also I believe that there is a more worthwhile project that the money could be spent on.

Unfortunately i left this dark soul of man to continue his vile methods in the company and i will always feel i have left some employees down by not pursuing this as far as i could take it. However there was little i could do but hope it would be highlighted in the final report.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Currently in a suit back in the States. My mother was going through radiation therapy as a precaution after having surgery for uteran cancer.

The radiologist had a miscommunication that was supposed to lower the level of radiation by 50% end up raising it by 50%. She got three times the level of radiation that she was supposed to get and cooked everything inside of her. She spent the last seven months of her life dry rotting in a hospital bed.

The hospital/doctors tried to cover their tracks with a paper trail, but they slipped up during a depostion and said that 'everything was on the computers' which eventually gave them all up.

The following week the hospital tried to make a seven figure settlement. The doctors are all pointing fingers at each other and are trying to get one of them to take the fall for their roles in the screw up.

Needless to say this is all still being dragged out and should hopefully go to court later this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yup, from a car accident when I was 12-an off duty beangarda ploughed into us at 80 miles an hour while talking on her phone :mad: Got whiplash and still have a worse back than I should have at 20 years old, eleven grand helps though :D though most of it is gone now, I've been dipping into it since I got access, firstly to buy a laptop and I've paid half my rent out of it every year so I don't have to work during college

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

pirelli wrote: »
    I hope that you get it repaired by a surgeon.There might be a medical solution.

Doctor 1: not much i can do
    Doctor 2: not much i can do
    Doctor 3: Yeah easy, will cost ya though

Apparently they cant tell exactly where it is because nerves can cause pain anywhere. Strangely it could be in my other shoulder :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WanderlustQueen

A few years ago, I was working in a cinema checking tickets at an escalator. This chap comes up to me and tries to walk past me so i put my hand on his arm to stop him. Since he had load of food in his hand he reached over with his head and BIT my hand, drawing blood and everything, I still have the scar.

It went to court and I was supposed to get 1000euro off him but the fecker fled the country. :( I was supposed to buy a laptop for college with the money but i had to get a loan instead, boo-urns!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My mam got rear-ended at lights a couple of years ago. Her divorce solicitor told her that while she wasn't supposed to say anything, she'd be able to get my mam 15-20k for the accident in court. I told my mam to be glad she wasn't hurt and let the lad pay for the damage he'd caused to the car and her medical check-up. She wouldn't report the solicitor though...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

A few years ago, I was working in a cinema checking tickets at an escalator. This chap comes up to me and tries to walk past me so i put my hand on his arm to stop him. Since he had load of food in his hand he reached over with his head and BIT my hand, drawing blood and everything, I still have the scar.

It went to court and I was supposed to get 1000euro off him but the fecker fled the country. :( I was supposed to buy a laptop for college with the money but i had to get a loan instead, boo-urns!
    CHRIST:eek:

Never mind settlement. I also hope he got KTFO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

you're one of those people who make an employee's life a misery when you're around....

Yes, because then they actually have to do their job and provide decent service.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Steoob wrote: »
    You my friend are what people call: a douchebag.

You, my friend, are what people call: BANNED!!! Mwahahahah :P
    you're one of those people who make an employee's life a misery when you're around....

Well if things were done right the first time, then people wouldn't complain. It seems that most companies, and yea, I do mean MOST, do not know what customer service is. There is a severe lack of training given to employees, so it is not always their fault. However there is a differance between that picky beatch who wants you to do everything and anything for and the genuine unhappy customer.
    Seriously? How badly was your leg hurt?

about 70,000 Punts of hurt it seems.
    Abigayle wrote: »
    Have never claimed, nor will I unless Ive genuinely been put out of pocket.

I know of a few people who have jumped at any chance, and even put themselves in the way of harm to gain from it.

It is the way of someone miserly, and of little intelligence to resort to such measures.

I despise greed.

Well those who claim are quite intelligent, in a lot of cases it is not that easy. You do need to know what to do, you know?

You are lucky he didn't file a case against you for common assault. :P

A few years back my mate dropped an worktop counter on my foot, broke my toe. Went to the manager, told him I couldn't work and that I wanted pay. As a part time worker he said I wasn't entitled to it, that it was our fault. Little did he know that I was doing a business degree and law was a part of my course :) I quoted him something I learned about protective equipment in the work place. He got seriously pissed "don't be quotting any of that legal sh!te to me, ya hear?" he gave me 3 days pay and that was it. I still asked him for steelcap boots for months after :P

I thought about doing something about it, but it didn't bother me at the time. Toe is fine now too.

Here's a story that got my blood boiling. Woman in SUV pulls out in front of my cousin who was driving a fiat chiciquento (the small boxy thing) at the time, the SUV hit the fiat, the woman in the SUV got out of the car gave my cousin a fiver and said "get yourself some sweats" WTF??? My cousin asked her name and details but she wouldn't give them. She followed the woman in the SUV and took her registration plate down, rang the gardai etc etc. The woman had no insurance and will be "cautioned" by the gardai for leaving the scene.

Insurance company states that my cousin has to pay for the damages herself as the woman who was in the SUV doesn't have insurance.

Now there's an injustice if ever I saw one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You, my friend, are what people call: BANNED!!! Mwahahahah :P

No need to comment on a moderator's decision Mr. Xavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Working in a council house years ago painting, girl who lived in the house had some apparent fancy ornaments on her mantle-piece. We finished the job and left. Three weeks later we are told she is suing the council+builders for damages to the walls and the ornaments which were apparently "worth" a small fortune(in a council house?), the destruction of all her furniture(paint damage I suppose) and electrical items she had to replace(TV etc).

A assessor had gone round, what he saw or didn't I don't really care. What I do know is as a sub-contractor working on site the insurance company was looking to claim back the rather excessive settlement off of us. It was rather funny being called into the office and pulling out my camera with close to 150 photos of nearly everything in the house before, during and after. The look on that gob****es face was worth the wasted time.

I hate compo culture, I hate people whose first words during anything even slightly minor is "I'll sue".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

swingking wrote: »
    Well you claim that you have been given comp. by hotels and airlines. Now, those prices have to be passed on to the customer, meaning we pay more.

I really hate people like you who will do anything to get compensation.

I hate people like you, who probably whine over bad service but never ever report it. One good complaint can mean a better service for hundreds of customers later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Sleepy wrote: »
    My mam got rear-ended at lights a couple of years ago. Her divorce solicitor told her that while she wasn't supposed to say anything, she'd be able to get my mam 15-20k for the accident in court. I told my mam to be glad she wasn't hurt and let the lad pay for the damage he'd caused to the car and her medical check-up. She wouldn't report the solicitor though...
    What did the solicitor do wrong?
    She only said what she thought she'd get!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I was crashed into 2 years ago, the car was badly damaged and I had the obvious stiff kneck and back.. went to docs said to rest and avoid the gym for a month or so... Insurance assessor came round to the house, they said the car was going to cost 4 grand to repair and would I accept a token or would I want to go to court... I wasn't injured just stiff really and a bit pissed off so I said what would you offer then... two and a half grand later and my car as good as new... that'll do fine.

The worst part is... I have no confidence whatever in other drivers and dread anyone coming up behind me at any pace... scares the crap out of me!