Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compensation - You get much?

Options
  • 13-03-2009 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

Did you ever get compensation for something? What for and how much?

Ive got about 1000 euro waiting for me when im 18 from food poisoning from some ham i ate when i was 3 years old.

Only 2 more years :)

Thats all i got.... For now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I get compensation for little things nearly every week because Im an as*hole and complain about things when they are not right unlike most Irish people who are like doormats.

Hotels, car valeters, airlines of the most recent I have complained to.

I had a €140 full valet for free recently, have 4 free nights in very good hotels coming to me and got a rebate of €796 from an Airline for being as*holes to me. :D

I was once knocked down by a car and demanded he go to the bank machine and give me £100 back in 1995*

*when £100 was more like €250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I have no problem with large compensation payments to people who deserve it due to personal injury or some other loss. Anyone who intentionally seeks to fraudulently claim against a company or individual is a wanker and should be strung up by their genitals in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Berty wrote: »
    I get compensation for little things nearly every week because Im an as*hole and complain about things when they are not right unlike most Irish people who are like doormats.

I had a €140 full valet for free recently, have 4 free nights in very good hotels coming to me and got a rebate of €796 from an Airline for being as*holes to me. :D

I was once knocked down by a car and demanded he go to the bank machine and give me £100 back in 1995*

Wow so you're the guy who forces us all to pay high prices for paying out for stupid claims :rolleyes:

swingking wrote: »
    Wow so you're the guy who forces us all to pay high prices for paying out for stupid claims :rolleyes:

ummmmm what claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

ummmmm what claims?

Well you claim that you have been given comp. by hotels and airlines. Now, those prices have to be passed on to the customer, meaning we pay more.

I really hate people like you who will do anything to get compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭little me

Fractured skull on a building site. Got a fair few quid for that a year back. Put it all off the mortgage like a big boring bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

You my friend are what people call: a douchebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,850 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Was in a car crash and got seriously injured, resulting in me having my kneecap removed. Had a full leg cast for 6 months on crutches for three more and had several otehr injuries. Got €38k but felt I didn't deserve it because although I have some small pains inrequently it never really stopped me living my life

Lets see. The valeting companies staff stole my camera. = compo

The airline took money off me they were not entitled to take and after two months of proving they should never have taken it they gave it back plus €100.

Two hotels in question: One hotel gave me a bed with dried blood on the sheets. Another hotel gave me bed bugs and the last hotel charged me €156 because two Americans failed to arrive for their reservation. Two people I do not know to be correct.

I have never claimed insurance. I was an Insurance claims assessor.

Thank you to the people who jumped to conclusions. You should remove your foot from your mouth right around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The airline took money off me they were not entitled to take and after two months of proving they should never have taken it they gave it back plus €100.

Two hotels in question: One hotel gave me a bed with dried blood on the sheets. Another hotel gave me bed bugs and the last hotel charged me €156 because two Americans failed to arrive for their reservation. Two people I do not know to be correct.

Thank you to the people who jumped to conclusions. You should remove your foot from your mouth right around now.
    mmmmmmm foot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Steoob wrote: »
    You my friend are what people call: a douchebag.

BANNED.

you're one of those people who make an employee's life a misery when you're around....

Was in a car crash and got seriously injured, resulting in me having my kneecap removed. Had a full leg cast for 6 months on crutches for three more and had several otehr injuries. Got €38k but felt I didn't deserve it because although I have some small pains inrequently it never really stopped me living my life

i think that's a perfectly adequate payment.. if someone offered me 38k to go through what you did, i wouldn't take it like..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Was with a little company that got swallowed by a larger company, and after they secured the intellectual property rights to what the little company owned, they let all those employed by the little company go, including me. It was a breach of contract, so I was compensated with severance and med benefits, most of which pays for my university tuition and fees. Fair enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Brown.Eyed.Girl

I've never got compensation for anything. But back in the 1990's my aunt got 2 grand off a very well known furniture shop in Dublin town, along the quays, which is still around today. She'd brought a new bed and mattress from this store for my then, 5 year old cousin. After using it for the first time my cousin woke them up in the middle of the night covered in blood. My uncle took a closer look at the mattress, found a couple nails sticking out of it. Ripped it open a bit and found billions of nails and metal things inside the matteress.

They were happy with the two thousand pounds. I thought they should have got much more....

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

I attempted to climb the wall in my back garden when I was 5 but fell! There was a nail sticking out of the wall and tore my knee open! Mam got the coucil out to have a look because she thought the nail shouldn't have been there and get them to cut it off!

Got £70000 compo (this was in 1989) and didn't find out about it until I was 23!

Jesus, some people are such welcome mats.

What do you want me to do?

Let the hotel give me a bed with dried blood on the sheets?
    Let the car valeters steal my camera?
    Let the hotel take €156 out of my credit card?
    Let the airline charge me €796 extra for no reason?

Oh yeah, Im the nightmare!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

£70000???

Is that a typo??

:confused:

£70000???

Is that a typo??

:confused:

No

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Brown.Eyed.Girl

No

Seriously? How badly was your leg hurt?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

No

Hey... How YOU doing?

Wanna buy me lunch... maybe pay off me mortgage?

i take it all back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Listowel to Tralee?? There is a big turning section up there for the frequent trucks visiting the creamery(I think). Going in the other direction there is a 90degree turn with a wall so the speed limit is correct.

To be fair there should be a speed limit sign on the left of the road also.

Thats the place. Obviously you are familiar the road.

I attempted to climb the wall in my back garden when I was 5 but fell! There was a nail sticking out of the wall and tore my knee open! Mam got the coucil out to have a look because she thought the nail shouldn't have been there and get them to cut it off!

Got £70000 compo (this was in 1989) and didn't find out about it until I was 23!

what was it worth when they finally gave it to you at 23? and why not 18 as usual?

nice start in life if your knee is ok now

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Got about 6k for a car crash when I was 13, which came to me when I was 18. I used to buy a car which I promptly crashed.

Ah circle of life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

seamus wrote: »
    Got about 6k for a car crash when I was 13, which came to me when I was 18. I used to buy a car which I promptly crashed.

Ah circle of life...
    Easy come easy go eh?

I knocked down an old lady back in 99.

She walked out in front me me with her walking stick in hand. Speed of her.

Anyway her legs and my bumper met. They broke, my bumper didnt.

She said it was all her fault and not too worry. Cunning fcuker then put in for the lob claiming she couldnt walk right. (At this point I'd like you to read the 2nd line of this post again, especially the bit where i mentioned walking stick)

Anywho... she got 83,000 pound and promptly died there after. Rumour round the parish has it that she was a crack addict by then. Her relations all bought gold teeth and got peni extensions with the inheritance... all I got was a big insurance premium :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

After my friends mam got their bathroom done back in the early 90s,my friend swore she was getting shocked when she was getting into the bath and refused to get in.

Turns out there was something wrong. Stoopid electrician didnt wire things up properly. Could have got badly electrocuted. Settled out of court for 8,000 (pounds) reckons she could have got more if she had gone through with it but didnt because she was sitting her junior cert at the time.

Seriously? How badly was your leg hurt?

It's ok now but the nail tore me from the bottom of my knee up to my thigh! Don't remember much of it but I was in hospital for 2 months and missed my senior infants year in school!

I now have a lovely scar up my left leg in the shape of a smile!

what was it worth when they finally gave it to you at 23? and why not 18 as usual?

nice start in life if your knee is ok now

Just over €110000 when I got it! Didn't get it when I was 18 because I was crazy then and would have completely blown it all! Happy mam didn't tell me about it then though!

Ya knee is fine now! Just have no feeling in it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just over €110000 when I got it! Didn't get it when I was 18 because I was crazy then and would have completely blown it all! Happy mam didn't tell me about it then though!

Ya knee is fine now! Just have no feeling in it!

That was nice of her. Did you buy something nice ? go on tell us.

Advertisement