Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling from Nice to Italy (San Remo)

• 18-03-2015 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Ok folks, as some of you may have read last year on this site, we had our Grand Tour of Europe cut short after 6 weeks because my wife's bike and baggage was nicked in Nice, just one day away from Italy.
    Anyways, the plan is to continue again this year from where we left off in Nice but I want to pick your brains about the best route. Just before the theft we visited the Tourist Office in Nice to enquire about cycle routes along the coast to Italy and the girl there got VERY animated, telling us under no circumstances should we attempt to cycle there, instead take the train. The gist of what she was saying was that the route from Nice to Monaco to Italy was much too busy, trafficwise, and also included tunnels into which bicycles were not alllowed.
    Can anybody enlighten us and either confirm her fears or tell us otherwise?
    Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

dewindygap wrote: »
    Ok folks, as some of you may have read last year on this site, we had our Grand Tour of Europe cut short after 6 weeks because my wife's bike and baggage was nicked in Nice, just one day away from Italy.
    Anyways, the plan is to continue again this year from where we left off in Nice but I want to pick your brains about the best route. Just before the theft we visited the Tourist Office in Nice to enquire about cycle routes along the coast to Italy and the girl there got VERY animated, telling us under no circumstances should we attempt to cycle there, instead take the train. The gist of what she was saying was that the route from Nice to Monaco to Italy was much too busy, trafficwise, and also included tunnels into which bicycles were not alllowed.
    Can anybody enlighten us and either confirm her fears or tell us otherwise?
    Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

I drove back from San Remo along the coast to Nice last year and I would have said it was ok for cycling. There are three roads, the Basse, Moyenne, and Grande Corniches and the Basse would be the only one to use on a bike. Personally I probably would go as far as Menton and then jump on the train, Ventimiglia is not that interesting, unless you go on the market day, on which it is mobbed, but you may increase your risk of pickpocketry. There are some sections of the road that are busier than others but I don't recollect there being any tunnels on the lower/coast road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

It's fine. I've done it a good few times. https://goo.gl/maps/5l18a

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

Hi folks and thanks for the input. We are not that deterred by busy roads necessarily (the route we took from Toulon/Nice had some particularily busy stretches on it).
    Diarmuid, I thought at first that the link you included was an actual one of one of your spins but appears to be just a google route map and sticks to the Motorway all the way via a tunnel. You hardly followed that route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

dewindygap wrote: »
    Hi folks and thanks for the input. We are not that deterred by busy roads necessarily (the route we took from Toulon/Nice had some particularily busy stretches on it).
    Diarmuid, I thought at first that the link you included was an actual one of one of your spins but appears to be just a google route map and sticks to the Motorway all the way via a tunnel. You hardly followed that route?

When I open that link, it's a route that follows the coast road the whole way. There's only one tunnel about 3km from Menton, right at the border. There's one just before Ventimiglia that you can avoid. Here's the route with the tunnel avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

Thanks Diarmuid. That was bizarre with the first link, it definitely was a different route but when I click it now its the same as the 2nd one which is perfect. Thank you very much. That's the route we will take.

• Advertisement
Advertisement