Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Towbar mount rack recommendations please?

• 11-03-2015 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Any of you got any wise words for me please?

What's good?

What's sh.....not so good?

Based on experience rather than on reviews on the web or reputations!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

I have a Thule 3 bike one, I think its excellent. Solid, top quality, never a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭torydiver

Have the Thule 2 bike carrier,
    delighted with it, extremely secure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Thule 2 bike. Super steady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Thule all the way....
    Just remember they are very easily removed with a 19mm spanner if you don't have the Thule lock to cover the bolt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Thule all the way....
    Just remember they are very easily removed with a 19mm spanner if you don't have the Thule lock to cover the bolt...

Does your carrier require a spanner o put it on then??(is it one of the heavier carriers that the wheels sit on??)

I have a thule 2 bike carrier...it goes on and off like a scissor action...literally 2 seconds and you can put a padlock on it aswell. Its extremely sturdy and convenient.
    Think it was 80 in halfords and i got 10% off with AXA car insurance or work or something!
    Marty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Thule if money no problem and also have a Saris when using different car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Does your carrier require a spanner o put it on then??(is it one of the heavier carriers that the wheels sit on??)

I have a thule 2 bike carrier...it goes on and off like a scissor action...literally 2 seconds and you can put a padlock on it aswell. Its extremely sturdy and convenient.
    Think it was 80 in halfords and i got 10% off with AXA car insurance or work or something!
    Marty

Marty nah its the standard 4 bike carrier that bolts onto the towbar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ninoon

Thule 2 bike excellent , for the last six years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

NBar wrote: »
    Thule if money no problem and also have a Saris when using different car

second that, they are very good...

Saris Bones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

Thule

don't even own one. friend has one. we went from looking at a tow hitch to a mounted bike in roughly 90 seconds.

fantastic bit of engineering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I've a Thule9106 2 bike rear door carrier designed for the bikes to lock on to rails high above the reg plate.
    Its a fantastic piece of kit, I only wish I could use it but unfortunately Thule dont recommend it as it's not 100% compatible with my car.
    I've been using a Peruzzi rear door carrier from Micksgarage.com, its grand but not a patch on the Thule.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭matban

I got a Witter 4-bike platform carrier.

Fitted by malcolms.ie, Witter ZX404

They sorted the tow bar and number plate also. (not affiliated, but happy with service)
    Think they are about 400-500e, not very cheap but a great sturdy product.

Has a built in lock, carrier and 4 bikes can be fitted in about 10 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭oinkely

If you are looking for a cheap and cheerful option I can recommend the plain old scissors type ones - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-TOWBAR-TOWBALL-MOUNTED-2-CYCLE-CARRIER-BIKE-RACK-/261012255160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cc58af1b8

I have one and it folds up really small and lives in the boot of the wife's car in case i ever need a lift home. Takes seconds to put on and with the addition of a bit of strategical taped pipe insulation nothing scratches the bike. Have had three bikes on it before, but really it is suited to one or two. Two or three bungee cords and you are good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

oinkely wrote: »
    If you are looking for a cheap and cheerful option I can recommend the plain old scissors type ones - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-TOWBAR-TOWBALL-MOUNTED-2-CYCLE-CARRIER-BIKE-RACK-/261012255160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cc58af1b8

I have one and it folds up really small and lives in the boot of the wife's car in case i ever need a lift home. Takes seconds to put on and with the addition of a bit of strategical taped pipe insulation nothing scratches the bike. Have had three bikes on it before, but really it is suited to one or two. Two or three bungee cords and you are good to go.

Provided one's car had a towball/bar already installed, the above looks like the neatest and most economical solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Lumen wrote: »

3 years later and I'm still very happy with my Atera rack, I recommend it.

I have this for when taking 3 bikes or when using the adaptor I carry 4. Got it a while back in cyclesuperstore when it was on sale and then got the 4th bike adaptor when Halfords had it and on sale and beat all online prices/offers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Thank you for all the feedback, folks.

Are all of these fitted to the ball of the towbar or do they bolt to the mounting plate with the ball removed?

I need a secure solution as I'm converting a VW Transporter to a camper and need a secure way of carrying 2-3 bikes on the continent as I'm informed the French gendarmerie take a very dim view of 'strapped-on' bike racks due to safety issues if they work loose....

The thule one I have is tow bar mount and has the built in lights and reg plate holder and you would never know it was there, it had a key locking system for the hitch attachment and the clamps holding the bikes and both wheels are held by locking straps, best is go to a shop and see what's in stock etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

8valve wrote: »
    I need a secure solution as I'm converting a VW Transporter to a camper and need a secure way of carrying 2-3 bikes on the continent as I'm informed the French gendarmerie take a very dim view of 'strapped-on' bike racks due to safety issues if they work loose....

I've driven a strap-on around france for many years and the only issue I had was when I had my number plate and lights obscured by bikes (with panniers on). I added a trailer bar on that holiday and have had no issues since.

Taht said, the tow-hitch mounted rack is better if you already have a hitch but it's probably not worth the expense of a tow hitch as well as the rack if you already have a strap-on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

8valve wrote: »
    Are all of these fitted to the ball of the towbar or do they bolt to the mounting plate with the ball removed?

The Atera fits to the ball, from what I know of the Thule ones they fit to the ball too (or, at least, any of the ones I looked at do).

If I hadn't bought my Atera I'd have considered one of the Witter ones that Malcolms in Rathmines sell - if you are Dublin based it might be worth a trip in there to see them in the flesh: http://www.malcolms.ie/carriers.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

I have Thule 2 bike hitch hang on type. Very happy with it. So quick and easy to install and take off, 10sec on / 10sec off. Very secure too compared to strap on ones with its padlock mounts. Mine was 80 quid, got secondhand hitch for 30 and 50 to install and I still think it is great value piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

I have a Halfords 4 bike carrier that has no straps and lights.

http://www.halfords.ie/car-seats-travel-equipment/bike-racks-cycle-carriers/bike-racks-cycle-carriers/halfords-4-bike-tow-bar-cycle-carrier

It clamps onto the ball of the tow bar alone and is pretty secure (I drove about 1000 miles with it in the Summer over hill and dale (literally) with no problems. It is not lockable though.

I bought it after I found out that the simple, scissor-type 2 bike tow bar I bought (which is lockable) would not fit on a swan-neck tow bar, only a standard one (directly onto the ball mount). I have that up in the for slae section here.

The higher the spec, flexibility and ease of use - the higher the price. My bro-in-law has a turbo thule one that clamps on, takes 4 bikes, has ramps and can roll back out of the way of his VW minivan for easy boot access, but it cost twice as much as my rack.

Also, bear in mind that you may want to store the rack off-car so leave room for that in the garage / boot etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

+1 on the Thule. I have a 3 bike rack and its still going after 4 years
    Bought it in halfords on special with the Axa discount

Advertisement