Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pussy Riot and Russia

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

abrr1000 wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/aug/20/pussy-riot-punk-prayer-lyrics?newsfeed=true

Here you go - plenty of profanities and distastefulness.
    There were families with children at this service - I think there are other places they could have made their protest if they have such strong feelings - but to shove it in everyone's face literally was just disgusting.

Wow....they sang "crap" and "bastard". O the horror......

I'm not seeing "shouting profanities at everyone present and exposing themselves".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

That translation uses very nice words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

That translation uses very nice words

I'm still not seeing sources for "shouting profanities at everyone present and exposing themselves". Any reason ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/aug/20/pussy-riot-punk-prayer-lyrics?newsfeed=true

Here you go - plenty of profanities and distastefulness.
    There were families with children at this service - I think there are other places they could have made their protest if they have such strong feelings - but to shove it in everyone's face literally was just disgusting.

Unfortunately you gave a link to misinformation from the Guardian. "Crap" should be replaced with "S**t".

And they never exposed themselves. All they did was show a bit of arm, or is that banned?

Can someone get me the Russian lyrics and I'll be able to truly determine if they swore or simply said "Crap"?

That translation is really horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I think the state are right to punish such hooliganism it is disgusting and whatever they were "protesting" against - this "protest" was carried out in the most distasteful and undignified way.

So what?

When is offending people ever an acceptable reason in itself, to put people behind bars?

Just a bit of a bump, as I'm hearing interesting updates on the case.

As you probably know, the verdict has been taken to appeal.

But:
    A Moscow court has freed one of the convicted women from the punk band Pussy Riot but upheld two-year jail terms for the other two.

There were cheers in court when the two-year jail term of Yekaterina Samutsevich, 30, was suspended.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19893008

News has been pretty slow on this since the verdict but this is quite an interesting development.

A fairly crap one, tbh. Is there a higher court they can go to?

Nodin wrote: »
    A fairly crap one, tbh. Is there a higher court they can go to?

Yep. The trial was originally in a district court. Above that there are regional courts and then the supreme court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Couldn't they appeal to the ECHR. Russia is a member, last I checked.

wes wrote: »
    Couldn't they appeal to the ECHR. Russia is a member, last I checked.

Yes, they could.

This option is discussed here:
    http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/08/2012823795897200.html
    If they so wish, Pussy Riot can appeal the verdict, up to and including in the European Court of Human Rights. But they shouldn't count on victory there. After all, Khodorkovsky failed to prove his prosecution was politically motivated several times in the ECHR - and he had a lot more money and influence than Pussy Riot ever will.

If I'm honest, this story fizzled out pretty quickly once the buzz died down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Was it entirely a coincidence that woman was released around the time of Putin's 60th birthday? A touch of compassion from the Tsar perhaps to mark the occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

BluntGuy wrote: »
    So what?

When is offending people ever an acceptable reason in itself, to put people behind bars?

When it infringes on their right of religious belief IN the private base of said religious belief...

Was it entirely a coincidence that woman was released around the time of Putin's 60th birthday? A touch of compassion from the Tsar perhaps to mark the occasion.

Yep the Dark Lord Putin let the innocent girl out the gates of Mordor.....etc. etc.

Advertisement