Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad hair day

Options
  • 03-12-2008 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

I went the the hairdresser today, hoping to get a bit taken off the length of my hair -- not too much - and I wanted it brightened up with highlights -- I showed them a pic of the style I wanted. 'No problem' they said.
    I emerged 3 hours later with what I can only describe as a classic bob cut -- and I didn't want a bob! It looks nothing like what I showed them. They took way too much off and I can barely see the highlights they charged me for. I now feel like a bloody fool for handing over the money :(

So, what about you ladies -- did you ever come out of the hairdressers with nothing like the style you had requested? And did you pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

A couple of years back a hairdresser took a fatal cut at a fringe just as I said "nooooooooo". She fixed it up the best she could but it was nothing like what I asked for. So of course I didn't pay. Nor have I been back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Awwh poor Twanda :(

What did you originally want?

My hair was butchered when I was younger... I'm still a wee bit scarred I think (:P). I had longish hair and she cut it so short that I was asked a few times by little kids, are you a boy or a girl. It was terrible! Luckily it's grown back much better, stronger, and MUCH longer now! I love it!

You shouldn't have had to pay for it really, if you were that unhappy. You could try contacting the manager to see what can be done! I know a few people who've gotten their money back or a free haircut or something by doing that... Was it your regular hairdressers?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

*Hug of empathy*

Two months ago: Was going to a 21st. Went to hairdressers's to be blondified and curlified for the evening.

I came out with brunette, poker straight hair.

Had a face on me for several hours over it!

I've given up at this stage, I really have.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

hairdressers always upset me. this time last week i had lovely long blonde hair most of the way down my back. but i wanted a bit of style into it so the hairdresser said what about some layers & a side fringe - grand. i said do NOT take too much off it, max 3/4 inches (it did need it cause the ends were in bits). except noooooo they dont listen. he took about 6 inches (or more) off. it looked ok in the hairdressers, but by the time i looked in the mirror at home i nearly cried. i loved my hair :( oh well, guess itll grow back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I don't go to hairdressers anymore. They're entirely overpriced for what they do and it's never like what you ask for! I just get my friends mother to cut my hair from time to time. She hasn't screwed it up yet but then again it's only a few inches off...so it's not like one could go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lilminx

Oh OP

This has happened to me a few times. Last example was just a few weeks ago. Was going out with my OH's folks - had only met them once before and wanted to look nice so booked an appointment for a blow dry. I have (had) long, thick, curly hair. Now i've been laid up with fibromyalgia for the last month or so and have had problems managing to brush my hair so was mortified that it was very knotted up. As the girl was brushing out my hair I felt even more mortified noticing just how bad my roots were. *blessed with dark auburn hair - cursed with going grey at 16* so asked if there was any chance I could get the roots done. She was a grumpy ol' wagon and tutted off somewhere.

Head of salon came over and said no problem at all. So whooped me over to colourist section. Now this lovely friendly girl was doing my hair said she do my roots and when we were chatting as you do I was bemoaning the fact that I've always had the same long layers in my hair and would love a change.

So colour goes on and then rinsed off.. then something else lobed on and I was sitting there for about an hour wondering what was going on. So I asked the chick doing my hair and she said it was a *insert new fandagled word the salon made up here* and that it would just give my hair a shine and condition and enhance the colour (deep conditioning treatment says I to myself happily reading the magazines*

So the lovely girl comes back and says she'll just give it a trim if I'd like. Thanks a million says I. So back to reading the magazine I go happily just enjoying a little pampering.

So she starts giggling away and says "well I've taken a lot of the weight off and I knew you had a lot of hair but goodness!!" looking at the ground. So I follow her gaze and see a small dog down there... took a second look and realised it was half my hair! Not only had she 'given me a trim' she had also taken the thinning scissors to my luscious locks. At this stage I was at the salon over two hours, having told my fella I'd be an hour max. He had left a thing he was doing with his mates early to bring me and the guilt was setting in so I just said to myself 'ah it's only hair - it'll grow back'. And then got my hair blowdried in record time by another girl. then out came the straighteners. "shurrup" says I to myself.

So, I get up off the chair with about 1/3 left of my hair, and in fairness it was a great cut and it is MUCH easier to manage but I was expecting a trim. The colour was fab and really shiny so I was delighted.

So I wish the girlies a great weekend - get all the well wishes for the night out with the OH's family and go up to pay.

€140

I nearly died

But I felt I couldn't say anything cos I only booked a blow-dry and felt I'd come off as completely ungrateful if I questioned the price.

The 'conditioning treatment' was €35... grrrrrrrrr

Thinking back now I would have dealt with it completely differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ash-209

oh my heart goes out to you! :(
    i now always get my friend to cut my hair, much cheaper, and she knows exactly what i want to look like! then if it does goes wrong at least i can say "oh yea, my friend cut my hair"!! not an overpriced hairdresser!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes that conditioning treatment is a sly one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

HI all,
    Thanks for the replies. Someone asked what I wanted in the first place - well my hair was well below shoulder length and I only wanted an inch or so taken off the front, but more taken off towards the back - if you can imagine a kind of slope where it's longer in the front but gets shorter towards the back ( sounds weird but looked lovely in the pic I had).
    Well I got the slope I wanted (sort of - it's a lot subtler (sp?) but they took far too much off- it is practically a bob.
    On a brighter note,my bfriend assures me it suits me and that he can see the highlights, so I am not feeling as bad as I was.
    It's just such a bummer when hairdressers get your request totally screwed up - and judging by your replies this is not an uncommon occurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I hate when this happens. When it's too short it can look good because it's been professionally blowdried, the trouble for me starts when I get home and try and wash and dry it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

years ago I had been very ill so my hair was quite thin. I went in to get it tided up. I've always had long hair and love being able to put it up in ponitails. The stylist agreed to just take 2 inches off the bottom but then she preoceeded to give me a granny cut (you know the 1 inch all over look). I came out looking at least 30 years older. It was horrendous. When I asked why she did the opposite of what I wanted, she told me that she knew better and I needed it done! Took years before I went back to a hairdresser. TBH, I get my mum to do it more often than I go to the hairdressers. She does a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

n she preoceeded to give me a granny cut (you know the 1 inch all over look). I came out looking at least 30 years older. It was horrendous. When I asked why she did the opposite of what I wanted, she told me that she knew better and I needed it done!

Are you joking me!? That's unreal! You should've gotten her to pay for your extensions. I can't believe she didn't even consult you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mistika

I encountered such a situation once too... It was about a year ago. My hair were quite long but I realised I need some sort of change so I decided to cut them shoulder length. I explained everything really clearly for the hairdresser, but unfortunatelly she doesn't know what 'shoulder length' means.:mad: When I saw the result, I was shocked. My hair were CHIN length. A classic bob. I couldn't say a word to her, I was speechless.
    The good thing about this story is that everybody said I looked fantastic, that it was the most flattering haircut I've ever had. Nevertheless I'm growing my hair and they're now quite long again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I once went in and asked for a trim and came out with Lady Di's latest haircut... It was mank and I cried the whole way home.

My neighbour (who is not a hairdresser) said she would 'fix' it for me... I very stupidly let her and ended up with a hideous bob - one side was over my ear and the other was under:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

No like my hairdresser. YOu have to be very careful who you go to. Just cause a hairdresser is a big chain company and charge a lot doesn't mean they are. Good, I go to my local hairdresser, have done for years, she knows exactly what I want, and when I want someting different, she'll tell me best way of going about it, talks about it befores she sets off chopping. Once she gets into a bit of a swing she sometimes gets carried away though so I've had to tell her to stop cutting sometimes! But they're not mind readers! And they're basically going by your description, which sometimes is delusion personified!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

More of a FAP thread in fairness, folks. Though based on some of the above stories, there might also be a place for it in rip-off Ireland...

Advertisement