Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

car jumping when changing gear.

• 13-05-2013 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a 2003 fiesta, which over the fast few days chugs/jumps when I change gear, almost like I'm driving in too high a gear.

Any ideas on this. hopefully nothin too expensive, had it in the garage twice lately :-(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Sounds a bit like the coils breaking down. Are you getting an amber "Engine Fault" light while this is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

jimgoose wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like the coils breaking down. Are you getting an amber "Engine Fault" light while this is happening?

No,nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

javagal wrote: »
    No,nothing.

Hmm. How is it when you take off nice and briskly, and give it the boot? Up to the point of the first gearchange?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 smelly moe 1

Gearbox Oil change

Gearbox Oil change

You sure?
    could it be done at home by himself or no?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 smelly moe 1

good chance it could be, he could do it at home but better if ye get the car on a ramp

good chance it could be, he could do it at home but better if ye get the car on a ramp

Just what I need.
    had it in the garage a month ago which we thought was break pads, turns out it was just rust but the guy talked me into 2 new tyres.

Then 2 weeks ago I had it back in with brake adjusters. The mechanic himself said it was due to someone being At them, it was him but he wouldn't admit it.
    now this, 600e later.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Hmm. How is it when you take off nice and briskly, and give it the boot? Up to the point of the first gearchange?

Don't know. Ill check after work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Gearbox Oil change

If ever I saw someone chancing their arm, this is it!

There's no chance that changing the gearbox oil will rectify this problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Does it chugg for every gear, 2nd, 3rd, 4th...?
    Is it crunching when you change gears?
    Is the clutch ok?

Try shifting to 2nd early and then shift to 2nd really late. Any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 hiltan

This is problem with the clutch you should to check the clutch from the garage. its not a gear box fault because clutch is handling the vehicle after changing the gear if the car jumping so i think just re examine from the car care center.

Advertisement