Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How often should you clay a car?

Options
  • 08-05-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

I clayed my car for the first time about 2 months ago.
    I used a full bar in the process !! but was very happy to get all the filth off.
    Then washed, polished and waxed it for a nice finish.

But now that its been done once, how often is it recommended to clay the car afterwards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Depends on mileage covered and conditions of the roads driven on.
    Generally every 6 months.
    Spring / start of summer to get the car looking well for the good weather and then again in Sept / Oct to get fresh protection on the car for winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

As often as you want to. You'll do no harm, you can't over-clay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I'd generally leave it off till before I polish, so like once every six months topping up wax between these should be good - depends though if you're car gets very dirty a lot it might be worth increasing the frequency. They say on of the best ways to tell if the car needs to be clayed is to get some cling film over your hand and run your hand down some of the paint work and if it feels smooth you're good, very rough and you may consider claying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

On the topic of claying,I have never heard of it till now and have a few questions.
    Does claying make much of a difference to the overall finish?
    How much does a kit cost and where would I get it?
    my car is 9 years old so would it be worth doing?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

daveob007 wrote: »
    Does claying make much of a difference to the overall finish?

Yes
    How much does a kit cost and where would I get it?

thanks

You can buy full kits or buy the clay seperate and then use some quick detailing spray like I do for lubrication.

http://www.detailingshed.com/detailing-clay/61-autoglym-surface-detailing-clay-kit.html

http://www.detailingshed.com/accessories/130-autobrite-red-devil-200g-clay-bar.html

Halfords also sell what you need.
    my car is 9 years old so would it be worth doing?
    thanks

Well, if it's never been done well then very much so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

I'd echo the above post, with one warning. If you drop the clay, DO NOT be tempted to try to use it again, you'll ruin your paintwork.

If you drop the clay, DO NOT be tempted to try to use it again, you'll ruin your paintwork.

Definitely, do not use it on the paintwork again, but it can be saved for other jobs...provided its not totally covered in girt. Give it a rinse out and store it separately, and it can be used on wheels, glass or even the reg plate when you get flies mashed into them! You'd never know when a bit of clay might come in handy! But not on the paintwork after dropping! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

thanks for the info,my car has never been clayed so will get some and try it..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If you park near trees or a busy road there will be tree sap, and carbon fallout all over the car. It's very worthwhile doing the claying and you will see that once you've done the job. Use lots of claying lube, and as said above if it falls on the ground throw it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

My cheap clay Came this morning. If I open it now do I have to but it in an air tight seal container

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    My cheap clay Came this morning. If I open it now do I have to but it in an air tight seal container

Doesn't have to be air tight. Just a container to prevent anything sticking to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I bought the Meguiars Clay which comes with it's own storage box.

I was a Clay Virgin til about 3 years ago.

It was a revelation the difference it made.

One might argue that the benefits of claying on an older car, which has had longer to get 'dirty', are more than on a newer one.

Do it ! You won't regret it....

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Might sound odd but I'm looking forward to claying my car this week!! The difference is always very noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

and whats wrong with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Anybody recommend any good claybar kits either in stores or on the internet ? Saw the Autoglym one earlier for 30 and though it was a bit expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Bilt hamber clay from detailing shed, doesn't need any special lube - just water

Bilt hamber clay from detailing shed, doesn't need any special lube - just water

I seen a few links to detaling shed but their website hasn't been working for at least a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I seen a few links to detaling shed but their website hasn't been working for at least a few days.

They're contactable via facebook, or they've set up a temporary email address which is listed on facebook :)

Bilthamber cause its the only one iv used, wash and then use the sudsy water for lubrication

When should you stop claying
    G*et a cigarette box wrapper
    Run it over the paint with your finger tips
    Compare it to an unclayed area
    Smoothness is what you want

I presume this is the clay yous recommend ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Done mine yesterday. I forgot how tedious it can be. Last time I done it was in march, but totally worth doing again. The results speak for themselves :).

Its only the flat (vertical) surfaces that need to clayed

Its only the flat (vertical) surfaces that need to clayed

Are you for real????

Every sqaure inch of paint that is visible, needs to be clayed!

That's what I do but on the age training when they ware showing us how to use the clay they said only the flat surfaces need attention

That's what I do but on the age training when they ware showing us how to use the clay they said only the flat surfaces need attention

You do what? All the paint?? Why recommend otherwise??

If you were told that in training you should go ask for your money back!!

Advertisement