Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternal Instinct???

Options
  • 02-01-2009 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'll explain this in full, I am 34 weeks pregnant at the moment and because of the christmas season I am in my boyfriends family home (where I am supposed to stay after the baby is born) and all my baby stuff is in boxes. And foro some reason everyday all I want to do is tear open the boxes and start organising the room. I am actually going mad because I keep looking at the boxes in the garage and start getting all irrational and moody because I can't organise the allocated bedroom.

At this point I have to explain that my boyfriends mother fractured her pelvis and is not able to get up the stairs for the next few weeks and is using the only downstairs bedroom in the house until she can walk properly again, but of course this is the room allocated for me and the baby and I am going simple that I can't organise it. I know it is her house and I know its only a temporary situation, but everyone else at my stage of pregnancy seems to have everything organised and all my stuff I haven't even gotten out of the boxes yet!

I am not allowed use one of the many upstairs bedrooms as the babys grandmother is convinced I'll fall straight down it with the baby even though she is the accident prone one!

My moods are getting very bad and I won't talk to anyone for ages because all I want is to organise a room for the baby. Am I being as irrational as my boyfriend say I am or is this a natural thing. I know when other mammals are close to their birthing they start collecting bits and pieces to make a "nest" is it the same with us humans? Is that why I am obsessed with organising the room?

Sorry if I ranted a bit.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You have the nesting instinct! It's perfectly normal to want to get everything ready for your baby! Tell your boyfriend that it's normal!

It's a pity you can't get everything organized... but try and keep your mind on something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Feck sake. I'm 34 weeks too and can sympathize but have no nesting instinct so far. Anyhoo I'd start organizing one of the upstairs rooms and say you just want to see how you will organize it. A 34 week pregnant woman can get away with odd behaviour! It won't be a big bother to get everything moved downstairs if and when you want to. 2 people can carry a cot down easily. As for that falling down the stairs lark, what are the rest of us supposed to do, move to bungalows! Get your boyfriend to intervene now as you could end up with the interfering mother in law from hell if you don't assert yourself. Are you supposes to sleep upstairs and your baby downstairs - cause that's ridiculous if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Grawns, I never got the nesting instinct :(...

Infact, I only packed my hospital bag two days before I went into labour... thats how lazy I was!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I dont even need the big stuff like the crib in yet, moses basket is being delivered to the house during the week, its just things like the nappies, changing mat, buggy and rocker you know, I am always obsessed about being prepared and organised so not being able to do this is driving me lala!!!

I tried using the rational of not everyone has downstairs bedrooms, but when she went into hospital for her fractures last week, there was a woman there who fell down the stairs while carrying her baby wearing slippers and trousers, so naturally because I wear long trousers too I am going to do the same! (this coming from a woman who fell off a stira stairs because she only had one hand on the ladder, wearing a long tight fitted skirt and backless shoes)

I would be staying in the room with the baby for a while, and am intending to breast feed so I dont need bottles and what not at night. I really liked the idea of using the old guest room upstairs because I could easily fit everything and it is next to my boyfriends bedroom so if I felt like snuggling up with him and the baby cried, I am literally seconds away and so is he.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

The nesting and drive to organise is a sign the baby is on the way.

Maybe she wants to make things as easy as she can for you, as walking after a birth or c section can be hard and can take a while and walking up and down stairs is a bit harder. ? Or maybe she is thinking of the baby disturbing everyone else's sleep by being upstairs? Or maybe it's some kind of exclusionary tactic - "your not quite part of this family?" It is her house, her rules, sorry hun.

I had all intentions of breastfeeding. COuldnt do it, had to bottle feed and a nearby kitchen is a plus here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

The thing is, it is all about me fallying down the stairs , she is convinced that because I will have the baby I will fall (mainly because she would if it was her), she invited me here for xmas, even though it was the first xmas after her husband died so it isnt that she doesnt see me as part of the family.

I had some success though, I can bring the things I am obsessing about up to one of the bedrooms upstairs for not however I have to move them when she moves out of the downstairs room. I am delighted. I get to open them all and sort them. I am starting later on this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

There you go, that's great. Now if you wouldn't mind coming to my house and sorting me out :D

Adrienne - I haven't started a bag yet either :( Still cna't belive I'm having a freaking baby :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Grawns wrote: »
    There you go, that's great. Now if you wouldn't mind coming to my house and sorting me out :D

Adrienne - I haven't started a bag yet either :( Still cna't belive I'm having a freaking baby :eek:

My bag is nearly packed now, woohoo, I'm way ahead of the game!!

As for a baby room - Lets just say my three year old is still sleeping in a room with half finished murals...

Advertisement