Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mice in car

• 27-10-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

any ideas on how to get rid of them ? trapped six so far. cant find nest anywhere

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Put a cat in the car. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Clean it ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bazz26 wrote: »
    Put a cat in the car. :)

Or a terrier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,094 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Stheno wrote: »
    Or a terrier

No. Wait till the cat gets rid of the mice, then you need the terrier to get rid of the cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Think is a job for jigsaw.

He will surround you with mousetraps.

Or quite possibly blow the whole car up in the process

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Torch it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sounds like a faulty cat.

Seriously though, have you taken the back seat out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

What car is it OP ?

Remember hearing of a case where a couple sued Toyota because the vent under the wheel arch allowed the ingress of rodents.

MugMugs wrote: »
    What car is it OP ?

Remember hearing of a case where a couple sued Toyota because the vent under the wheel arch allowed the ingress of rodents.

Unsuccessfully IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Quazzie wrote: »
    No. Wait till the cat gets rid of the mice, then you need the terrier to get rid of the cat.

Then get rid of the terrier with a gorilla!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ned rierson

i asked for that. car is clean, looked under backseat. fcuk it i think i'll torch it

What kinda car is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭griffin100

We used to have problems with mice in my wife's corolla verso. Then a rat got in and do 000's worth of damage and we had to make an insurance claim. Garage found that they were getting in via the front wheel arches where they had chewed through the soft covers. Garage replaced these with metal wiring. Since then we keep it clean inside (no food crumbs) and we put in a battery powered pest controller (from ebay) and no problems since.

It's seems to be a known problem with Toyotas - http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/couple-awarded-25000-after-rats-infested-their-cars-28941011.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Older threads on the same topic with suggestions
    www.google.ie/search?q=Mice+in+car+site:boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I think you need to hit them with an Anvil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

you'd want to get them out fairly quick because if they start chewing up the wires you'll have an endless amount of electrical trouble. I remember it happening to someone they got mice in the car and they basically just ended up scraping it as they had chewed trough every piece of wire in the car. Hopefully they won't have done damage to yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I wonder what kind of car it is? you'd think someone would have asked by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

cerastes wrote: »
    I wonder what kind of car it is? you'd think someone would have asked by now?

#9 #13....

nissan micra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

We had one in a work van. It wrecked it we had to sell it for scrap it done that much damage. You need to find the nest quick.

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    #9 #13....

I already knew that, Im just curious when people start a thread asking for advice or help and then are feeding you the information little tid bits at a time, even when they are asked.
    nissan micra

Oh right, great, a K11 is it??
    Whats the value? is it clean? where is it kept? is it in use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Had the same problem on a Golf and a Megane. Make sure the car is a food free zone, hoover everywhere. Keep soft things out too as they will burrow into these. Then just keep leaving traps. They won't hang around if there is nothing to eat. Keep your trouser bottoms rolled into your socks!

Had the same problem on a Golf and a Megane. Make sure the car is a food free zone, hoover everywhere. Keep soft things out too as they will burrow into these. Then just keep leaving traps. They won't hang around if there is nothing to eat. Keep your trouser bottoms rolled into your socks!

Best piece of advise I've ever heard. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Where are people that are experiencing these problems living!?!

I cant remember the last time I saw a mouse or a rat on the street nevermind a car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

We had them at work recently, I caught 3 in the house and see them on the road when driving back home. Winter is coming.

They are everywhere. Never heard of one in a car, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

cerastes wrote: »
    I already knew that, Im just curious when people start a thread asking for advice or help and then are feeding you the information little tid bits at a time, even when they are asked.

Oh right, great, a K11 is it??
    Whats the value? is it clean? where is it kept? is it in use?

Oh will you relax ffs.

I think the strain has started and people are taking their homes in the sewers.

Found mc d nuggets and fries in girlfriends car before and had been there at least 8 months.

Even the rats or mice wouldn't touch it, now that says something.

Get full valet done on car and park car in a river or lake should solve the problem

I think the strain has started and people are taking their homes in the sewers.

Found mc d nuggets and fries in girlfriends car before and had been there at least 8 months.

Even the rats or mice wouldn't touch it, now that says something.

Get full valet done on car and park car in a river or lake should solve the problem

Not sure about this:D

ION08 wrote: »
    Where are people that are experiencing these problems living!?!

I cant remember the last time I saw a mouse or a rat on the street nevermind a car!

few weeks ago, cat was outside playing with a mouse, probably lots more, years since I saw a rat, but I've seen signs of droppings in drains.
    I'm wondering is the car in use or stored in shed, might make it an attractive home.
    jca wrote: »
    Oh will you relax ffs.

It just gets a bit tedious, seen a few threads recently, people look for advice, others reply and its like pulling teeth to get information out of them to help, makes a thread a bit painful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Cerco

Get one of those ultrasonic devices and plug it into a cable reel. Leve it there for a few hours and it will drive them crazy. If you can leave a door open all the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Was at my local garage one day and the mechanic showed me a car that was destroyed , front bumpers chewed and bonnet scratched to f%%k... The owner's dog did it trying to get to a rat that was up in the engine. A lovely 2 yr old merc. Twas no match for the Alsatian.

any ideas on how to get rid of them ? trapped six so far. cant find nest anywhere

Anyone ever say "mice car you got there".
    I'll get me coat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Cerco

One good reason not to de-cat your car.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

This is the first year ever that we had mice in the house was last month, Set up traps and killed 3, there does not seem to be any left as food is not been taken, we freaked out and got a Yorkshire terrier because of it(and because my wife was looking for an excuse to get one). I would hate mice to get into my car but there is not much room for them to hide if they did and I clean the car interior every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Think is a job for jigsaw.

He will surround you with mousetraps.

Or quite possibly blow the whole car up in the process

Ha, reminded me of this

OP, I think those ultrasonic mousescarers take a few days to take effect.
    You could try bait and trap them, maybe peanut butter or something.
    You don't want to poison them as they will just end up dying inside the car somewhere.

Possibly you could get some pest control company like rentokill to fumigate the car and drive them out. I guess it depends on the value of your car and how much you want them gone. Try to get a quote up front if you down the pest control route. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

body count now at 11. got 2 in one trap last night. nothing at all today. hopefully all gone now.

body count now at 11. got 2 in one trap last night. nothing at all today. hopefully all gone now.

They usually come in 11's K11's that is :pac::pac::pac::pac:

11:eek: In a car?

This is the first year ever that we had mice in the house was last month, Set up traps and killed 3, there does not seem to be any left as food is not been taken, we freaked out and got a Yorkshire terrier because of it(and because my wife was looking for an excuse to get one). I would hate mice to get into my car but there is not much room for them to hide if they did and I clean the car interior every week.

Same here. I suggest you leave one trap just in case. I got 2 in one go, left one trap just in case and caught another one 2 weeks later. The search continues. They were feeding in a bin (jumped in / out) so make sure to empty it daily.

As for the car there must be a source of food and water for them to survive. I would look for a nest asap because 11 is not a small number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭griffin100

Cerco wrote: »
    Get one of those ultrasonic devices and plug it into a cable reel. Leve it there for a few hours and it will drive them crazy. If you can leave a door open all the better.

You can get battery powered ones on ebay that can be left in the car all the time. We haven't had a problem since we put one in the wife's car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

wonski wrote: »

As for the car there must be a source of food and water for them to survive.

Mice don't need water! Rats do though,

Edit: they do obviously need food so I am mystified as to why a mouse would pick a car not a house to live in!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

did u say it was a nissan micera?

did u say it was a nissan micera?

That was mice and quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

is the op living in a sewers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

That was mice and quick

The car is obviously not squeaky clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

maybe the op should get a minnie instead......

thanks everyone for your help. and laughs. GBYA

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

Nest??? They are not birds. Just throw down a few traps maybe a bit of poison too and problem solved. Its not rocket science

Miall108 wrote: »
    Nest??? They are not birds. Just throw down a few traps maybe a bit of poison too and problem solved. Its not rocket science

LOL

Seriously? Google it.

wonski wrote: »
    LOL

Seriously? Google it.

Don't worry about him, check the time it was posted...

• Advertisement
Advertisement