Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding accommodation nightmare!

Options
  • 22-08-2014 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys wondering if anyone can help?
    I am a single mother of a 2yr old who just completed my Leaving Cert. I have accepted a course in AIT as a mature student (in my early 30's) I had lived in Athlone on and off for 12 years with no problem of finding accommodation sharing and have a good clean record with great references. I moved to Tullamore when on maturity leave to be closer to family. Now since June I have been searching morning noon and evening on all the relevant sites ie Daft, Property.ie and local auctioneer sites trying to find suitable accommodation.
    In the past 2mths I have only viewed three houses which were either tiny, too cold or in a bad area for a child. My rent allowence threshold is e500 max and so I have been very limited on what I can look at. Alot of property's have No Rent Allowence or No Students but I have chanced my arm hoping they would be sympathic to my situation..without success.
    The house I'm renting at the moment is up for sale which means not only do I have potential buyers calling to view weekly but also I am in a postition where I could be told it is sold any day. Already stretched on a budget I have my daughter starting a gov. funded community creche in Athlone and I do not drive which means I would need a house close to her creche. My course is 3yrs min so I am looking for longterm accommodation.
    I have been working since I was 16yrs old , paid my taxes etc but yet when I am trying to better myself for my daughter which in the long run will mean more money for the goverment, I find myself stuck without help.
    I have given my details to all auctioneers in Athlone, emailed the college (student accommodtion only) posted an add in the Westmeath Independent and sent emails to local TD's with no result.
    What do I do next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Biddy O wrote: »
    Hi guys wondering if anyone can help?
    I am a single mother of a 2yr old who just completed my Leaving Cert. I have accepted a course in AIT as a mature student (in my early 30's) I had lived in Athlone on and off for 12 years with no problem of finding accommodation sharing and have a good clean record with great references. I moved to Tullamore when on maturity leave to be closer to family. Now since June I have been searching morning noon and evening on all the relevant sites ie Daft, Property.ie and local auctioneer sites trying to find suitable accommodation.
    In the past 2mths I have only viewed three houses which were either tiny, too cold or in a bad area for a child. My rent allowence threshold is e500 max and so I have been very limited on what I can look at. Alot of property's have No Rent Allowence or No Students but I have chanced my arm hoping they would be sympathic to my situation..without success.
    The house I'm renting at the moment is up for sale which means not only do I have potential buyers calling to view weekly but also I am in a postition where I could be told it is sold any day. Already stretched on a budget I have my daughter starting a gov. funded community creche in Athlone and I do not drive which means I would need a house close to her creche. My course is 3yrs min so I am looking for longterm accommodation.
    I have been working since I was 16yrs old , paid my taxes etc but yet when I am trying to better myself for my daughter which in the long run will mean more money for the goverment, I find myself stuck without help.
    I have given my details to all auctioneers in Athlone, emailed the college (student accommodtion only) posted an add in the Westmeath Independent and sent emails to local TD's with no result.
    What do I do next?
    To be fair you wont get much for 500 a month in Athlone. Maybe a two bedroomed apartment at a push. I presume you are doing the back to education scheme for mature students which should be a great help for you and your family.
    Unfortunately there is a certain stigma attached to the rent allowance scheme which more often than not is unjustified

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Biddy O

athlonelad wrote: »
    To be fair you wont get much for 500 a month in Athlone. Maybe a two bedroomed apartment at a push. I presume you are doing the back to education scheme for mature students which should be a great help for you and your family.
    Unfortunately there is a certain stigma attached to the rent allowance scheme which more often than not is unjustified

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately rent is on the increase in Athlone even a 2bed apartment is priced at e550. Having the back to education allowence is the exact amount I am on at the moment which is going to be down e40 a week towards childcare before I even start. Another problem is I cant start looking for part-time work until I am set up with accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Don't mind the ads that say no students - they just don't want a bunch of 18 year olds wrecking the place. The fact that you are a bit older and have a child it's obvious you would look after the place and not have too many wild house parties!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Don't mind the ads that say no students - they just don't want a bunch of 18 year olds wrecking the place. The fact that you are a bit older and have a child it's obvious you would look after the place and not have too many wild house parties!

The fact that you will be paying rent the whole year should also help you as opposed to students who will be gone again from may to September. Prices would be inflated this time of year with high demand from students.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

The cost of decent rental accommodation in Athlone has certainly gone well up in the last year. Leads me to believe that property selling prices are lagging behind and there are some real bargains out there at the moment - Only not in Willow Park or Meadowbrook ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Freddiestar

I don't envy you OP. I'm a single prof with refs and I found it tough to find a decent place. Most houses are in crap areas or are in bad shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I don't envy you OP. I'm a single prof with refs and I found it tough to find a decent place. Most houses are in crap areas or are in bad shape.

Maybe the two of you should get together ? - Together you should be able to afford something half dacent. Just saying like.....

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Freddiestar

Long Gone wrote: »
    Maybe the two of you should get together ? - Together you should be able to afford something half dacent. Just saying like.....

I'm sorted but good suggestion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Biddy O wrote: »
    I am a single mother of a 2yr old who just completed my Leaving Cert.
    That's one clever kid. fair play.

Do you own a car? If travelling is an option, would you consider renting in the towns outside Athlone like Moate? I'm not certain, but they have to be less expensive than Athlone itself.

Advertisement