Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we really consider ourselves European?

Options
  • 28-08-2012 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭

Regardless of whether or not we are in the EU, or using the euro, I sometimes get the feeling that we don't really consider ourselves to be European, and beyond the economic benefits of EU membership, we don't seem to hold the same cultural and emotional attachment towards the project that many continentals do. We often say things like going to Europe on holiday, or refer to "the Europeans" as if distinct from ourselves. Would it be correct to say, that beyond geography, we don't really consider ourselves to be Europeans in the same way that people in continental countries would.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I am Irish, not European!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Ich bin ein European

Say it once and said it loud, I'm black and I'm proud

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I nearly choked on my croissant when I read that OP

Im as Irish as Guinness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

I consider myself both

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I personally find the term 'European' to be nondescript. Europe is so vastly different from country to country, it's a convenient term at best to describe the people who live on the land mass of Europe. I am Irish and human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

We are Europeans and I personally do consider myself a European. People use terms like Europe and the continent when talking about it but I think its just a bit confused. They dont mean it as they are not European, just use it in reference to the mainland as an islander would.

Well if some parts of Europe believe in Leprechauns, it's understandable we don't consider ourselves European.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

I think I'm just a human being who happened to be born in a certain area of planet earth. That area happened to be a piece of land called Ireland.

But I do love Ireland and am grateful to have been born in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

You can get an Irish breakfast or a Continental breakfast.

So, are you Irish or Continental?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, we're as "European" as any of the rest of those who get a bit bemused when they're asked if they're "insert nationality" or "European".

It's not a choice of either / or. It's very much both!

The EU is a union of nations cooperating across a whole range of areas in a very deep way. It's not a new country!

I prefer the idea of having both identities.

It'd be kind of cool if we'd co-branded as (country)+EU for the olympics as the EU absolutely slaughtered the medal tables!

http://www.medaltracker.eu/

1 European Union : 92 gold, 104 silver, 110 bronze = 306 total
    2 United States: 46 gold 29 silver 29 bronze 104 total
    3 China: 38 gold 27 silver 22 bronze 87 total

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Never really thought of myself as anything other than Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I've always identified as a middle age Caribbean woman. I just don't feel very "Irish".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What is it to be European, anyways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

frag420 wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

frag420 wrote: »

:rolleyes:

I think your sarcasm detector may be defective

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bonita810

I am European, the particular nationality is not important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

If you are asking if I have an Aperitif before dinner and a Digestifs after dinner then yes, unlike having drink for dinner as seems normal in this land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Bonita810 wrote: »
    Is being European important either?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I am an organic lifeform, which particular type is not important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Bonita810 wrote: »

So by that logic, being European isn't important either?

I'm not Irish or European. I'm an earthling!! Where will the madness end!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I live in the continent of Europe - nearly every country in Europe has it's own culture and set of values of such, how can I possibly identify with them all :o

When I'm talking to people going on holidays they say what country they're going to, it's never ever "I'm going on holidays to Europe" - that answer only comes from Americans on TV who group all of Europe as one country and hence they perhaps think all of Europe has the same sort of values and traditions and such.

No one else holds that sort of attitude - if it wasn't for the economic bonds of the EU we'd have hardly a thing in common with anywhere in Europe bar the UK.

You might be able to group all of Eastern Europe together but then again most of the countries over there are less than 20 years old still and even still I'd imagine there' huge differences between some of those states. Most of the countries in Western Europe would be completely different as well also - France and Germany for example, you have things that are French and things that are German - you never seem to link French things to German things though and those countries are side by side. Then you have Scandinavia which is completely different again.

The only thing I can think of that links most of the rest of Europe is the fact they drive on the wrong side of the road. After that lanuage, food, culture, music etc etc are so different it's almost impossible to call something European and link it to all European countries.

I'm Irish and my only ties to the rest of Europe are from the economic link that is the EU plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

So if I got a train from Dublin to Portlaoise would it be ok to say I have interailed through parts of Europe? Always wanted to be able say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't think of 'European' as some homogeneous culture separate from Irish culture. Following from that I would think myself European simply because I am Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Well if some parts of Europe believe in Leprechauns, it's understandable we don't consider ourselves European.

Next thing you'll be saying there's no such thing as trolls when we have proof. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭fran38

It doesn't matter at this stage if we think ourselves as European citizens or not because the 'Irish' Government has decreed we ARE European by following a European bank agenda rather than looking after Irish people interests. So, by bleeding us bone dry, this has joined Ireland to the hip of European bank interests...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm going to Poland in October without the need for a visa and with the ability to go pretty much wherever I want in the country.

Had I gone in the summer I'd have spent much time sitting under a parasol on the street drinking some fine national beer and having a bite to eat, while watching my fellow Europeans stroll by.

Being European is ace. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I'd consider myself Irish, not European. The only thing we share with others in Europe is economic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Solair wrote: »
    Well, we're as "European" as any of the rest of those who get a bit bemused when they're asked if they're "insert nationality" or "European".

It's not a choice of either / or. It's very much both!

The EU is a union of nations cooperating across a whole range of areas in a very deep way. It's not a new country!

I prefer the idea of having both identities.

It'd be kind of cool if we'd co-branded as (country)+EU for the olympics as the EU absolutely slaughtered the medal tables!

http://www.medaltracker.eu/

1 European Union : 92 gold, 104 silver, 110 bronze = 306 total
    2 United States: 46 gold 29 silver 29 bronze 104 total
    3 China: 38 gold 27 silver 22 bronze 87 total
    Doesnt work like that as the US were only allowed 3 athletes per race!
    In that case would Ireland have had any athletes at all?

Advertisement