Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

News of The World to stop printing! (Murdoch merge)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

The Sun on Sunday.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I hope that if anyone has any evidence of wrong-doings at the Sun, that they come forward now. Really go in for the kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭BrerWolf

This is great news - but I hope the pressure on the NOTW's parent company doesn't let up.

My guess is 4 months before they are printing an identical paper with a new name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Who'll spread sensationalist drivel on Irish crime feuds now that Paul Williams is out of a job?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Now to get rid of the Sun, Daily Fail, Star, Mirror and Sunday World.

Sounds like your kind of papers though :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rants in my pants

Ah, the old "red top" fallacy. All traditional media news is trash for people who like being told what to think.
    The herald and the indo are the worst because they like to pretend they're reputable news sources and not sensationalist rags like the rest of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Its only a matter of time before the irish Sunday independant follows suit, what a rag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Daily Mail is wallowing in the misery of the NOTW and News International.

Lead story and all over their website, it's constantly being updated
    Oh, they're loving it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtk3yLVUOKg

T'was inevitable I suppose, but damn quick!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rants in my pants

Btw, you can expect the current trend of newspapers getting dumber and dumber to continue as more and more intelligent people escape to the internet :cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,113 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder when The World of The News is coming off the press?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Who'll spread sensationalist drivel on Irish crime feuds now that Paul Williams is out of a job?!

His apprentices who are still in the sunday world. :D

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I wonder when The World of The News is coming off the press?

What about .The news of the other world. :)

The Sunday Lizard.

Renn wrote: »
    Sounds like your kind of papers though :/
    How so?
    Ah, the old "red top" fallacy. All traditional media news is trash for people who like being told what to think.
    The herald and the indo are the worst because they like to pretend they're reputable news sources and not sensationalist rags like the rest of them.
    Quite. I'd shed no tears if the Indo and Herald went too.

• Advertisement

Saying The Daily Fail instead of The Daily Mail...really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

This is dreadful. Who will those who have had their phones hacked sue?

Yes, really. Problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Who now will report on Freddie's hamster dishes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

amen wrote: »
    This is dreadful. Who will those who have had their phones hacked sue?
    News International has announced that this Sunday's edition of the News of the World will be the last.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0707/hacking.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Sounds like they just couldn't hack the pressure... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Who now will report on Freddie's hamster dishes?

The Sun.

The News of the World is only the weekend edition of The Sun. Murdoch will just start publishing The Sun on Sundays and will hope that everything goes away.

Yes, really. Problem?

Well it's about as witty and clever as the tripe you'd find in a paper like The Daily Mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I prefer the Daily Heil myself. Getting my Godwin in early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Why do these papers actually bother people? How can you be annoyed at something that you don't engage with?

I mean, I don't like fig dressing on my salad. I therefore refuse to engage with it; I have nothing to do with it - and my life is fine. I don't get angry at the fig dressing. I don't open the fridge, see it sitting there, smug, and think to myself 'you fig dressing BASTARD! I'LL GET YOU YOU BASTARD. JUST YOU WAIT! I'LL GET YOU SCUMBAG!' I don't think that.

The GF likes it; that's her thing. I don't think she's a stupid bitch for liking it - I don't think 'you stupid FUCKING BITCH! HOW CAN YOU LIKE THIS SHIT? I'LL GET YOU YOU BITCH. YOU'RE DEAD YOU WHORE' I don't think that at all.

Do you see how insane that would make me look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Although they have undoubtedly done the right thing, I have reservations as to whether there is any real remorse, or admission of moral culpability surrounding this move. I daresay their hands were forced, be it by loss of advertising revenue, or whatever.

Is the Police investigation still going ahead as planned?

Why do these papers actually bother people? How can you be annoyed at something that you don't engage with?

I mean, I don't like fig dressing on my salad. I therefore refuse to engage with it; I have nothing to do with it - and my life is fine. I don't get angry at the fig dressing. I don't open the fridge, see it sitting there, smug, and think to myself 'you fig dressing BASTARD! I'LL GET YOU YOU BASTARD. JUST YOU WAIT! I'LL GET YOU SCUMBAG!' I don't think that.

The GF likes it; that's her thing. I don't think she's a stupid bitch for liking it - I don't think 'you stupid FUCKING BITCH! HOW CAN YOU LIKE THIS SHIT? I'LL GET YOU YOU BITCH. YOU'RE DEAD YOU WHORE' I don't think that at all.

Do you see how insane that would make me look?

No, not at all.

Well it's about as witty and clever as the tripe you'd find in a paper like The Daily Mail.
    Witty and clever wasn't really what I was going for. Just as well really as it seems that it is obviously too low-brow for the intelligentsia here.

It's a fucking nickname. It has been called the Daily Fail for years. It wasn't as if I was trying to pass of some joke that I'd just came up with.

Would you prefer if we refrained from calling the Sunday Independent "The Sindo" from now on?

Although they have undoubtedly done the right thing, I have reservations as to whether there is any real remorse, or admission of moral culpability surrounding this move. I daresay their hands were forced, be it by loss of advertising revenue, or whatever.

Murdoch and his minions are only sorry that they got caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

This is a cynical move from Murdock. No doubt there will be a new paper The Sunday Sun. Same staff different name and same readers who lap up the sh!t it prints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Yes. And there is also going to be a judicial inquiry as to why the first police investigation was so crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Today's news, tomorrow's chip wra... wait...

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHIPS!?

Witty and clever wasn't really what I was going for. Just as well really as it seems that it is obviously too low-brow for the intelligentsia here.

It's a fucking nickname. It has been called the Daily Fail for years. It wasn't as if I was trying to pass of some joke that I'd just came up with.

Would you prefer if we refrained from calling the Sunday Independent "The Sindo" from now on?

Oh I've cringed at people saying The Daily Fail before - don't worry, I wasn't crediting you with such imaginative nicknames. I just lump those people in with the ones who continually say Man ure, Arse nil etc.

Oh I've cringed at people saying The Daily Fail before - don't worry, I wasn't crediting you with such imaginative nicknames. I just lump those people in with the ones who continually say Man ure, Arse nil etc.
    What about people who just use them the odd time? Because I think I've only ever used "Daily Fail" once or twice. I've never used "Man ure" or "Arse nil", though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

News International is only closing down NOTW because it needs to have its bid to buy Sky approved.

Thats the only reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

This is great news. Hopefully some of the other rags will follow soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

InTheTrees wrote: »
    News International is only closing down NOTW because it needs to have its bid to buy Sky approved.

Thats the only reason.
    I agree (and thats the first though that occurred to me).
    The other shame is that Rebecka Brooks is still in her job while many, many more innocent others are out of theirs.

It looks also that Murdoch that will be bringing out "The Sun On Sunday" soon (the name was registered on the 5th of this month, legally as a newspaper).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It also doesn't make a profit, so no huge financial loss to the empire. It's biggest advertiser is also BSkyB. Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

InTheTrees wrote: »

Thats the only reason.

It's kind of enjoyable to see a trash rag like NOTW gone but there is no doubt NI will not let another company soak up the lost sales and 'prestige' of having the biggest selling UK sunday.

The pressure needs to be kept up until his company's influence is broken.

Williams and Ahern, the NOTW was about their level though. Scumlevel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

rag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Ah no, we'll keep that one. For humours sake and nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The BBC has reported that the URLs TheSunOnSunday.co.uk and TheSunOnSunday.com were registered two days ago by an unknown company.

As expected

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/news-of-the-world-to-close-down.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

gambiaman wrote: »
    ...Williams and Ahern, the NOTW was about their level though. Scumlevel.
    They will probably be hired again by the coming Murdoch replacement "The Sun On Sunday". :(

See: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/davidhughes/100095915/the-news-of-the-world-is-sacrificed-how-long-before-we-have-the-sun-on-sunday/

Its already on the cards and legally registered as a newspaper.

JDxtra wrote: »
    It also doesn't make a profit, so no huge financial loss to the empire. It's biggest advertiser is also BSkyB. Hmmm.

Having influence on people is priceless, and Murdoch likes having influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Do you think paul williams will write about unemployment now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Why is it good news? Stuff like this provide ample fodder to mock british people with. And its those vultures financing underhanded reporting, "scum" like the news of the world are merely supplying for the demand from the british public. Who are the real vile lowlifes in this.

I don't know much about the Irish version but all of this scandal is to do with their sister paper and you have to feel bad for the employees of the Irish version being laid off for doing nothing wrong at all.

Its the third best selling newspaper in Ireland after the sunday world & sunday Independent, surprised at that.

Biggins wrote: »
    They will probably be hired again by the coming Murdoch replacement "The Sun On Sunday". :(

See: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/davidhughes/100095915/the-news-of-the-world-is-sacrificed-how-long-before-we-have-the-sun-on-sunday/

Someone hoping to make a few quid may have set the Sun on Sunday sites up in anticipation, so they can be flogged off to Murdoch.

The new rag should start as it means to go on and be called The Sunday Hacker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It's a PR ploy....NOtW "name" has been sullied, so The sun will just publish 7 days....i really REALLY hope the pressure keeps up!.....i mean, The Sun imo is JUST as bad as NOTW, i mean....for one good thing the NOTW website was subscription, wheras The Sun isin't....meaning i can't avoid it.

I really hope they keep the pressure up and go after The Sun....i mean, they are NO different!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Absolutely delighted after there disgracefull actions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement