Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment Drive...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Gabby needs to keep her head out of such affairs when it comes to the Barracks. I've said it before, but the internal rumor mill states that in the next couple of years, the Gardaí training College will be located in said Barracks, so a recruitment drive, would be of no benefit, as new troops will have to up and relocate.

What she could do is, concern herself with many of the vacant retail units in the town and devising a way to make these more attractive to existing businesses around the County and Country or even assist the Local Enterprise Board in providing supports for Start-ups which would be more conducive to job creation and far more beneficial to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Itzy wrote: »
    .....but the internal rumor mill states that in the next couple of years, the Gardaí training College will be located in said Barracks......

I find that hard to believe. Why would the Garda College move from Templemore, with the lack of recruits, and all the money that's been invested in it over the years?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

infacteh wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe. Why would the Garda College move from Templemore, with the lack of recruits, and all the money that's been invested in it over the years?

I too share your sentiments, but the rumor mill in the Army Barracks hasn't been wrong yet regarding what would happen to the Barracks, Local Battalions and Brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

She's a fool.

Family politics is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Don't forget that they could sell Templemore if they moved out of it... Apart from the training college it could become a national HQ for the Gardai allowing other properties to also be disposed of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Long Gone wrote: »
    Don't forget that they could sell Templemore if they moved out of it... Apart from the training college it could become a national HQ for the Gardai allowing other properties to also be disposed of.

But it's purpose built. Well, adapted to fit a purpose. If they were going to sell a building, they'd sell the barracks in Athlone, and keep the Garda College in Templemore. I'm sure property values are better in Athone than in Templemore

But it's purpose built. Well, adapted to fit a purpose. If they were going to sell a building, they'd sell the barracks in Athlone, and keep the Garda College in Templemore. I'm sure property values are better in Athone than in Templemore

I've spent many years in the Barracks before leaving and it would suit the Gardaí down to the ground and they could move HQ down to Athlone also, killing two birds with one stone and allowing the Government to sell off buildings in Dublin, Templemore and one in Athlone. 3 for the price of one right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭dasa29

Itzy you could be right in thinking it's 3 for one. but there is the cost issue, you know to move people, equipment and setup will cost money. Plus you have to be sure that if you are selling the buildings off you get more than you spend doing the move or it does not make sense to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

dasa29 wrote: »
    Itzy you could be right in thinking it's 3 for one. but there is the cost issue, you know to move people, equipment and setup will cost money. Plus you have to be sure that if you are selling the buildings off you get more than you spend doing the move or it does not make sense to do it.

If you always took that kind of attitude you would never do anything.............

It makes perfect sence to move Garda training to Athlone. Templemore is not "purpose built". Have you ever actually been there ? - It's a right s***hole. The cost of a move would be minimal.

Custume Barracks has been training army personnel for decades, doesn't take a genius to work out that it would be perfect for training the Gardai. Athlone's central location is also perfect for a national training facility / HQ. It's going to happen. Watch this space !

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DeeJunFan

All thon will do is propose all vacant units are given to family members to be re-developed.

Give a few of them State board positions to pay for it.

At Least the Gravy train isn't under funded

• Advertisement
Advertisement