Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing a Beard

Options
  • 29-08-2012 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Havnt shaved since Saturday.
    The longest Ive ever gone without a shave since 15 is about four days.

Any tips/experiences/style recommendations lads?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

how old are you?
    hair colour?
    greying?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Well, I'd advise you not to shave anyways. That should help with the whole...beardmaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

My advice for growing a beard would be to not shave.

Seriously though,if you have a search around Youtube there's a fair amount of videos with useful info about styling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1103

And then: let it grow for a good long while, at least two weeks (if you're very fast growth) or else a month if you're kinda "normalish".

And if you go to the barber to get it trimmed, DON'T!
    DO NOT GO TO A NORMAL BARBER. Ask for a good recommendation. Trust me, a great man with a normal trimmer is worth 10 men with 10 great trimmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

how old are you?
    hair colour?
    greying?
    Brown/greying hair with a knackery red/grey/brown facial hair.

• Advertisement

Brown/greying hair with a knackery red/grey/brown facial hair.

And what is wrong with reddish fcial hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I myself constantly have one not huge but more than stubble
    Just make sure to keep it trimmed unless you want a big bushy beard
    Which I want to grow before Xmas
    Ho ho ho mo- fcukers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Grow some balls, become a man, then grow a beard ffs...

Me when I grew my beard first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Guill wrote: »
    Grow soe balls, be a man, grow a beard ffs...

Me when I grew my beard first.
    Pat mustard
    Is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Eat a load of dog food and allow men to perform anal sex on you.

Trust me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

And what is wrong with reddish fcial hair?
    Absolutely nothing Brutal,Im just surprised to find I have the ginger gene.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Congratulations on making one of the best decisions of you life.

My tips, give a good 4 weeks with NO trimming or shaving. After that decide the style you want and trim back slightly and shave away bits you don't want. Keep a daily record for fun.

It was a bit of a joke. A smiley could have worked with it to explain better :)

Honestly, once you don't have a big ginger chest, you're fine!
    And if you do: take up swimming and shave it! :D

Most Irish people do, it's a holdover from the Vikings. Just be happy you aren't actually ginger and remember, the Vikings were bad ass, and once you have a beard you will be cool too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Eat a load of dog food and allow men to perform anal sex on you.

Trust me.

That's what the coupon I got from an overly friendly guy in the jax says anyway..

Seems legit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

After a month what should it look like? Mine never looks decent. Just looks kinda....how do I describe it, dirty or rough or something. I'd imagine it should be thicker or something :(

Prick! wrote: »
    After a month what should it look like? Mine never looks decent. Just looks kinda....how do I describe it, dirty or rough or something. I'd imagine it should be thicker or something :(

Given it's a first one it'll look scraggly for the first 4/5 months on most people because it won't be grown in everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Don't style it. Any of it. All or nothing, brother. Nothing has cut my beard for a long, long time. If you insist on keeping your moustache in check, don't take a scissors to it. Chew it in to shape, not even joking.

I'm a short, wiry, pale little wimp, but FUCK does having a big, awesome beard make me feel manly as a grizzly bear eating a lion steak while riding a Harley made of bees.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,093 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I haven't had a clean shave yet in 2012. I have trimmed my beard, but go through periods of being massively bearded depending if I am gigging or not (I'm only guy in band with short hair)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I haven't had a clean shave yet in 2012. I have trimmed my beard, but go through periods of being massively bearded depending if I am gigging or not (I'm only guy in band with short hard)

Tee hee.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I havent been clean shaven in over 3 years. My advice to you, drink plenty of water and dont forget to clean the thing, even after a week. The weird stains that come off beards is weird.

lolz @ beards is weird. Im a rappa fo' sho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Haven't been clean shaven since 2006. As said above, keep it clean and also the first few weeks the itching can be unbearable but it goes away once you get used to it. Once your comfortable with it, invest in a grooming kit. Women are surprisingly interested in the fact that I have a beard comb!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

My beard earns me fondling rights on a frequent basis.
    It's not uncommon for wimmins to approach me and ask if they can touch my beard/moustache. So many people feel that they can just reach out and grab a handfull of my facial hair that I decided I would liken it to someone grabbing at their tits.
    A supprising outcome of this is that there are lots of women who think this is a fair exchange.

"Ohhh, can I touch it?"
    "Ohhh, can I fondle your boobies?"
    "OK!"

Of course that could just be me.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

OldGoat wrote: »
    My beard earns me fondling rights on a frequent basis.
    It's not uncommon for wimmins to approach me and ask if they can touch my beard/moustache. So many people feel that they can just reach out and grab a handfull of my facial hair that I decided I would liken it to someone grabbing at their tits.
    A supprising outcome of this is that there are lots of women who think this is a fair exchange.

"Ohhh, can I touch it?"
    "Ohhh, can I fondle your boobies?"
    "OK!"

Of course that could just be me.

/considers growing beard

Advertisement