Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Code Locked

• 10-11-2015 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a car and the radio is stuck in safe mode. The dealer I bought the car off doesn't know the code and is being very unhelpful in general. I went to a Seat dealership and they said I could book an appointment and they would unlock the radio for €50. This seems fairly extortionate to me, I was just wondering is there another option or is this just the going rate for getting a radio unlocked?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I'll more than likely just pay the 50 quid but I figured I'd consult the boards community first to see if I'm being ripped off. They also quoted me €170 to get a spare key made.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can you tell us what actual stereo is in the car, the model of car, what year the car is, and the actual message that is coming up on the stereo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Seat Cordoba 05. When I turn on the radio the word safe appears on the display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does the display say anything else, like a number or anything?

Is there a model name on the stereo, is it tape or cd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

If the model ----written on front face ---is Aura , Brisa or Alana you will not be able to get code from the serial number. My advise is to find someone in your area who can decode car stereos. The cost of decode is about half of what garage is asking and code supplied is guaranteed to work.

It's an Alana radio. When I turn it on the word safe appears on the display, nothing else. I haven't found any way of getting past it, but having googled it I know there is a procedure to get past it at which point you can enter the code. However, since I don't have the code it's not much use to me.

Are you saying there is no point going to the seat dealer with an Alana radio or there's no point going to an independent decoder with an Alana radio?

How would I go about finding a local decoder?

Thanks for the replies by the way guys, I appreciate the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

The Alana is a very good radio and certainly worth putting back in order. Ask at a local garage as to where they get their radios repaired / decoded.

Just to provide an update on this, I went to the dealer and they took the radio out, got the code but couldn't do anything with it. They said they'd get back to me in a day or two but its been nearly two weeks now. No idea what to do next, anyone got any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring the dealer again and ask why they hasn't got back to you.

Advertisement