Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the next step after a crash?

Options
  • 23-06-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Right so, some of ye that frequent the 'Post a Pic of your Car' might know my wee Corolla Gti. I effictively rebuilt the whole car over the past few years and finally got if finished, as much as I thought, on Wednesday. I took off for Donegal then Thursday morning for the Rally weekend but I only lasted 5 mins in Letterkenny until I had a bit of a smash. Basically I swerved to avoid a dog, ran onto the grass on one side which sent me spining across the road and eventually came to a halt on the roof on the opposite ditch. Thankfully I was going at a reasonably slow speed that I was fully unharmed even if it took me a few mins to get out of the car but that was fro all the stuff that got thrown about as the car was fully packed with stuff.

The thing is, I dont know what happens next. Being 7 hours away from home and on my own I had to ring the insurance and get them involved. They picked up the car Friday morning from the people that were incredibly helpfull after the crash and have held it in a recovery yard since. I had a chat with the driver who recovered the car and he straight up told me the car is more than repairable as its structuarally and mechanically sound. Being that the car is 24 years old with a dented roof (Not bent out of shape mind), the reality is that the insurance company will write it off on the spot :( But can someone tell me what that means and what can happen after that? I have no intention of losing the car and really want to have the old girl repaired and back to her best so is that possible?? HAs anyone else been in a similar situation where your stuck at the other end of the country and trying to recover a car miles away. Im really confubbled

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Do you have comprehensive cover? Do you wish to make a claim? How many years ncb have you and what is the sum assured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

The recovery garage normally charge a daily storage charge and it won't be covered by insurance claim. So give recovery guy a ring to find out the cost.
    It may verywell be cheaper if you get your car moved to your home if you have the space to store it.

Insurance company will send out an lost adjustor to wherever the car can be inspected. Be it at your home or the recovery garage.

If you claim from your car insurance they will agree a price and put a scrap (for want of better word) value on car. You can buy back the car for this amount.

Typical daily storage charge is about 25 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

They will probably pay you the value less the scrap value. Buy it back. I'm assuming you have comprehensive insurance on it!? What's the no claims like?

I saw this car a few weeks ago and it was a credit to you, one of my favourite cars on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

so it waz single vehicle crash in the middle of nowhere and no other damage to third party? and you rang insurance instead of recovery???
    well, i would tell insurance that not claiming from my full insurance(if you have that one)(and loosing no claim bonus, most likely), pay for recovery and asociated charges and bring the car home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

If it is deemed a Cat C write off (economic write off) you can always have the option of retaining the salvage and fixing it up. Very unlikely your settlement will cover your outlay here. See what figures the assessor comes up with.

With regard to the claim itself, weigh up the loss of NCB v Settlement.

Please, please check the situation with regard to storage by the recovery yard, few insurers cover this aspect and daily charges add up very quickly and you'll be left with the bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

No term damaged party, I'd be telling insurance to send you a bill for the recovery and get it back to your house. Then go about rebuilding it.
    They will write it off as it'll be uneconomical to repair, and give you the pre write off value. Then you have the option of buying it back off them. However, your Ncb will be screwed for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

The car is insured under the fathers name fully comp but we took the option of full stepback on the no claims so at least that wont be sending the premium too high next time (I hope). I hadnt even thought about the cost of storage but I have got a few quotes alright to get it back down home so Ill look into that tomorrow and make a few calls. The premium had a value set at 3000 but I know shes worth more than that as Ive turned down offers much higher than that. Repair wise, I would need the bones of 15 parts second hand but Id know the best spots to source these but its just bodywork and a respray that would probley add up

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

flintash wrote: »
    so it waz single vehicle crash in the middle of nowhere

Lol. Not sure what your geography is like. Letterkenny isn't exactly the middle of nowhere

OP, my brother could arrange transport for you depending on where you are at. He does charge a fee though so maybe getting your insurance to do it would be better in the short run. We are in the middle of nowhere though which is a bummer, but which luckily is also 5 miles from letterkenny

Pm me if you need to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I presume the OP means the Accident & Breakdown Assistance as part of his insurance policy. That wont affect his NCB

Advertisement