Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance - Named Driver

Options
  • 23-06-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello

I'm eyeing up a B4 to purchase although my insurance company will not give me a quote.

I have/had an existing policy in one of my parents names, I have since been removed as I was not driving.

Now, when I phoned the insurance crowd asking for a quote on a B4 and adding me back they were unable to quote me.

I've went online and got a quote for my parent and it can be added onto the policy for €20.00. I've heard that if I add the car to the policy with just the parent, the re add my self I have to get covered. Anyone know if this is true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its called fronting and its not exactly legal unless you inform the insurer that you (as named driver) will be the primary driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

You're better off getting the policy in your own name and sucking up the extra cost. NCB earned in your own name is usually worth more than that earned as a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LukeH

djimi wrote: »
    Its called fronting and its not exactly legal unless you inform the insurer that you (as named driver) will be the primary driver.

Ok. Thanks for thre response.

That's not what I was asking though. I want to know is it possible for me to get insurance if I add the car to the policy and then myself.

LukeH wrote: »
    Ok. Thanks for thre response.

That's not what I was asking though. I want to know is it possible for me to get insurance if I add the car to the policy and then myself.

Add the car to what policy? A policy can only cover a single car. If you want your parent to insure the B4 then they need to take out a policy on it and add you as a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LukeH

djimi wrote: »
    Add the car to what policy? A policy can only cover a single car. If you want your parent to insure the B4 then they need to take out a policy on it and add you as a named driver.

Like I said, there is an existing policy there that I am not on but was before hand. It has an old car on it that is not used.

All I'd like to know is if my parent was to put a B4 on the policy, then attempt too add that there wouldn't be a problem, obviously a raise in price. When I phoned them and tried to get a quote they said they couldn't give me one.

I read here that if I do the above they have to give me a price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

I had a similar situation to this a couple of years ago.

I'm not 100% but I think you would have to put the car in one of your parents' names, then get them to insure it (on a brand new policy) and have you as a named driver. There may be an option for a multi-car insurance policy, not too sure.

However, I would not advise this because, as a previous poster mentioned, I'm not sure it's 100% legal. My advice would be to play it safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Like I said, there is an existing policy there that I am not on but was before hand. It has an old car on it that is not used.

All I'd like to know is if my parent was to put a B4 on the policy, then attempt too add that there wouldn't be a problem, obviously a raise in price. When I phoned them and tried to get a quote they said they couldn't give me one.

your parent has a policy in their name on a car that is not used? have to ask why they would do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Two things;

You mentioned in your opening post that you have/had a policy in your parents name. You did not, it is your parents policy.

If your parent owns and registers a vehicle, yes, their insurers are obliged to quote and insure it. However, the insurer is not obliged to take you as a named driver.

A policy covers one car only (unless its a trade policy). The other car and policy is of no relevance whatsoever. If you want your parents to insure this new car then they will need to take out a new policy on it (or transfer the policy from the other car; same difference really) and then add you as a named driver. They can of course do this, however if you are going to be the primary driver of the new car and are not planning on informing the insurance company of this then its not strictly legal.

Advertisement