Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car insurance for foreigner

• 14-06-2014 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

Finally I found a nice car I'd like to buy but it seems that it is almost impossible to get a quote for it... maybe someone can tell or help me with that.

So I'm swiss, drove in Switzerland car's for the last 12 years but basically without having insurance on my own name since I used car sharing :-) (I exchanged my license to a full irish one)

Therefore I don't have any bonus history I could show since the last car I owned and had insurance with, was only for half a year and e.g. axa wont recognize that (event that it was with axa in switzerland) and the other one I owned was back in 2008 - 2010.

So I tried to get a quote for a different car (Mazda 6, 1.8l petrol, 2010 model) and got a quote for 1300 Comprehensive) which is considering the circumstances not so bad. But for the car I actually like (2008 BMW 318 -> 2.0l petrol) axa quoted me with 2400Euro (only by phone, not online).

So my question is, is there any reasonable insurance company who will actually quote me for the bmw or is it impossible? I'd like to get a nicely driving car... but if the insurance is 1/5 of what the car is worth, it's just a rip off and nothing else...

p.s.
    I tried fbd, aa, axa, zurich, aig, allianz, they won't give me a quote online for the bmw altough I don't understand why since the difference between 1.8 and a 2.0l is not so big. ... I also don't understand why it is like that since I'm not trying to buy something ridiculous like a 5.0l

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

The list of companies you tried online. Call all of them. That's your first step. No one can tell you which one will be best for you. You have a full EU driving licence but no, no claims history. So about a 1500 is about as cheap as you will find I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lukair

So actually calling them helps? I just thought since axa is so ridiculous, the others might be as well... There's always clements.com I can use but that is just 3rd party and I don't know if I can use that to switch after a year...

Does going through a broker help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

lukair wrote: »
    So actually calling them helps? I just thought since axa is so ridiculous, the others might be as well... There's always clements.com I can use but that is just 3rd party and I don't know if I can use that to switch after a year...

Does going through a broker help?

Clements.com is for the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Insurance companies are an absolute pain in the hole in Ireland. Not just for foreigners but especially for foreigners. I'm German btw.

They want it both ways. They won't recognize any of you driving history but they sure want to know whether you had convictions or anything.

And of course they treat a proper German or Swiss or whatever license as if you were coming form some third world place when in reality the standard of those continental driving schools and tests are much much higher than the Irish ones.

They're just trying to screw us (all, not just foreigners).

I'd recommend a broker yes.

I went that way for my first few years and was actually underwritten with Lloyds London or something. Was the only way to get onto the road without total rip-off insurance and I had a full clean 10 year running German license incl. motorbike just converted to Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's worth ringing them all. I always get quotes from everyone every year and there can be as much as 25% in the difference between insurers.

• Advertisement

oldyouth wrote: »
    Clements.com is for the UK

They're based in the u.s. but have an office in the uk. But they actually quote for wherever you are living as long as it's not the country where you're from

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Boskowski wrote: »
    Insurance companies are an absolute pain in the hole

That should be PAIN IN THE SWISS , the op is swiss.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    That should be PAIN IN THE SWISS , the op is swiss.

you know what's the sad thing? some of those companies are SWISS companies (zurich...) and I even called them in Switzerland... there's nothing they can do they say

Of course they would say that. The days of the mutual concept with insurance companies are long gone. They are now in the business of milking people like any other financial organisation.

should I also try with kennco or would you actually advise against?

• Advertisement

First time I hear about them. Whats different with them?

Boskowski wrote: »
    First time I hear about them. Whats different with them?

they're a underwriter (kennco.ie) I just don't know the concept but I guess it's ok to use. 123 refer to them if they won't quote you

they're a underwriter (kennco.ie) I just don't know the concept but I guess it's ok to use. 123 refer to them if they won't quote you

Underwriter is just a different word for 'actual insurer'. As opposed to middle-man or broker. That makes kennco an insurance company, simple as that, go for it.

They're based in the u.s. but have an office in the uk. But they actually quote for wherever you are living as long as it's not the country where you're from

Looking at their website, it appears you have to be a Brit ex-pat with very specific criteria

Looking at their website, it appears you have to be a Brit ex-pat with very specific criteria

Can you point me to the specific section saying that? As far as I know it's possible to get insurance as long as it's not your home country.

https://www.clements.com/portals/europe/global

The UK Motor section specifically says ex-pats and the Intl Motor side just covers own damage, so that is no use to you

The UK Motor section specifically says ex-pats and the Intl Motor side just covers own damage, so that is no use to you

I found something on immigrationboards.com/ireland/car-insurance-in-ireland-t29281.html (sorry, can't post links yet), its an old entry but basically saying that the actual insurance is underwritten by AIG. I don't know if it's true but I guess I will ring them up to clarify.

just to give an update. Calling all the different insurance companies helped. The process took a lot of time but it was worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Glad you are sorted.
    It is a painful experience i had to go through myself.

20 years a license, coming from a country where they do a proper diver education and finding out you are here treated as if you are a boy racer with a provisional license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Hey Bos, just out of curiosity how much did your insurance drop after your first year NCB?

• Advertisement

Mine went from €1100 3rd party with FBD to €650 fully comp with 123.ie who didnt want me the first year.
    Now with me 3rd insurer in 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Thanks info, nice to know it’s a significant drop. Not looking forward to the insurance premiums in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JudgeGreg

Hi guys,

I'm re-opening the topic as the search function is meant for it ;)

I'm French with a Full EU driving license as they call it here (well, French license), and have it since 9 years, have had my 7 years history (no claims) translated and the letter to prove my contract is finished (They told me something alike would be necessary at MIG)

However for example AXA is total rip-off, won't insure cars older than 10 years, won't take my history (and it is AXA France history.. ) or anything, and for a 2007 Ford Fiesta 1.2 they quote me 1800 euro/year... yeah, right. For a slow tin can !

Today I rang First Ireland and they won't insure me if I haven't been a resident for at least 2 years.

Like somebody said I feel like a boy racer with a provisionnal license haha

Can anyone name insurance companies that would insure foreigners recently arrived in Ireland ? (I wonder what is the "EU" for, in the end... )

Hijacking my topic :-)

I ended up with kennco that gave me the most reasonable offer which still was not good. clements.com is probalby something you should have a look at. I have a bunch of colleagues that insured through them and the insurance is actually from aig (but only 3rd party & theft).

axa quoted me last year with no history for something around 2500. Since the year is over and I have to renew soon, I just got a quote for 800 (which is still too high). I don't know how they justify a drop of 1700.- in a year....

That is because they just throw a bunch of number against a sticky wall, whatever sticks, is your premium.

Currently with some crowd i never heard of for 380 a year fully comp.
    5th insurer in 6 years
    It is getting ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

is insurance this bad in Ireland? AXA are a rip off, in fact most of the well known insurers run a mile from.

Your 1st insurance is bad indeed. Not many want to take you, no matter your history, and the ones that want you want your first born basically.

After that it isnt so bad. It just annoys me i have to do the same thing every year, get quotes and find the best deal.

Because the one your with, sees no shame in doubling your premium even if you havent had any claim whatsoever.

Thanks for the answer guys I'll have to check kennco and clements

2500 / year is sky high lol, crazy. Not surprising though when I see what they quoted me for a slow fiesta ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Hey neighbour, Italian here.

I tried to find a good insurance for my car too. Online is pretty difficult because they usually tell you "we can't provide you with a quote right now, call us". I called Liberty and got quoted 4000 € (EU licence, Grande Punto 1.3 diesel, small car!!). Yeah I think they just shoot it to see if I was crazy enough to accept it. Also, they didn't count my ncb.

Then went to AXA, they said they weren't going to accept my 7 years ncb earned in Italy and quoted me around 2500 €

I exchanged my driving licence, went back to Liberty for another quote, I insisted that their website said they accept a no-claim bonus earned in the EU, and they quoted me a "decent" 1000 € per year. It's my very first year, I think I'm going to accept it. What I'm trying to say is anyway, if you have a no-claim bonus in EU, Liberty probably accepts it. I'm 100% sure AXA doesn't.

https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/customer-care/what-is-the-no-claims-acceptance-criteria/

Hmm but now that I think of it... Maybe Switzerland doesn't count in "all EU countries"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hmm but now that I think of it... Maybe Switzerland doesn't count in "all EU countries"

Nope, its not even EEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

its a weird world we live in, what with our close neighbours Australia in the euro vision rubbish and a swiss guy struggling to get insured in Ireland.

Hachiko wrote: »
    its a weird world we live in, what with our close neighbours Australia in the euro vision rubbish and a swiss guy struggling to get insured in Ireland.

Ha with my swiss license, I don't think I would have been able to get any Insurance except with clements.

I got quoted that high after I changed my swiss license into a full irish one. Before that, I wasn't able to get any quote...

Why is it that with Clements it seems it doesn't matter which type of car you drive ? You get quoted on no claim history or value of the car, but this is it.

That's just damn perfect if it's the case, as I don't really want to drive a 1.1 liter engine car in order to prove to an insurance that my 9 years of driving don't come from nowhere

Advertisement