Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Impounded No NCT

• 23-06-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

Hi,a friend of mine(honest!) got his car taken off him yesterday for no nct.His tax and insurance were up to date.TBH the car is an 07 and I don't think its ever had an nct!
    Anyway,my question is what happens now?Do you go into the Garda Station with an nct booking printout pay the impound fee and off you go,or how does it work.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not being smart here but would the Gardai not be best able to answer that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

vandriver wrote: »
    Hi,a friend of mine(honest!) got his car taken off him yesterday for no nct.His tax and insurance were up to date.TBH the car is an 07 and I don't think its ever had an nct!
    Anyway,my question is what happens now?Do you go into the Garda Station with an nct booking printout pay the impound fee and off you go,or how does it work.

For a start they will need to get it towed from the impound lot. Unless they collect the car on the day of the nct test, then they can legally drive it out of there to the test with no valid NCT and then on home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Off you go? Mandatory Court appearance...5 points and up to €1500 fine on conviction

corktina wrote: »
    Off you go? Mandatory Court appearance...5 points and up to €1500 fine on conviction

Sounds like it will be the full €1500 if they prove its never been NCT'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How can you insure it without a valid NCT?

• Advertisement

How can you insure it without a valid NCT?

You can insure it no problem. Its when you make a claim your possibly screwed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

pippip wrote: »
    You can insure it no problem. Its when you make a claim your possibly screwed.

third party will always be insured

godtabh wrote: »
    third party will always be insured

Yeh but the owner won't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

For a start they will need to get it towed from the impound lot. Unless they collect the car on the day of the nct test, then they can legally drive it out of there to the test with no valid NCT and then on home.
    That permission was removed a few years ago. If I remember correctly the new wording makes it subject to "having been refused a test certificate" so without a cert you no longer can legally drive to the centre, only away.
    Yeh but the owner won't be.
    My insurer does not stipulate an NCT as a condition of insurance, only that the car be road worthy. A blown parking lamp, or obscured number plate or expired motor tax will make a car legally not road worthy but your insurer will still pay. You should of course check the policy terms but generally if the car is mechanically sound the insurer will pay a valid claim regardless of a NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

corktina wrote: »

Not if he has a bit of savvy :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement