Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I insure with FBD or the AA?

Options
  • 23-06-2014 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

The quotes from both for me as a young driver with no previous experience are the same.
    I was wondering if anybody could advise me on what perks are associated with the two companies ie. breakdown assistance, windscreen cover ect.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

FBD have a comparison thing on their website. I'm with FBD the last few years, the policy is pretty comprehensive, got free class 2 for business use, they match whatever quote I get, have covered about 20 transfers without charge and are extremely nice to deal with.

The only downside is that it's extra for NCB step down protection but gayer three years it's full protection automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

FBD have a comparison thing on their website. I'm with FBD the last few years, the policy is pretty comprehensive, got free class 2 for business use, they match whatever quote I get, have covered about 20 transfers without charge and are extremely nice to deal with.

The only downside is that it's extra for NCB step down protection but gayer three years it's full protection automatically.

That used to be the same for us until this year with FBD. Their price jumped and they would not come down in price. Switched to Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

The quotes from both for me as a young driver with no previous experience are the same.
    I was wondering if anybody could advise me on what perks are associated with the two companies ie. breakdown assistance, windscreen cover ect.
    Thanks

I'm with AA, they only act as broker, you'll be covered by actual insurance company. AXA for me.
    Also, you won't have breakdown cover as they can't sell you a competing product, from their parent company. But you can take out AA membership.

Damien360 wrote: »
    That used to be the same for us until this year with FBD. Their price jumped and they would not come down in price. Switched to Aviva.

They were much higher on my renewal but came down to 60% of the price with a call.

Aviva wanted 1200 for me, 31, full NCB on a diesel Astra at renewal. Tesco wanted 1800:pac:

It's different for everyone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

AA do not offer breakdown assist with their insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

If you're over 21, try Liberty, incredible offer they have once you're 21. Cheaper than FBD even on some larger displacement cars.

pred racer wrote: »

Really? Bit of an oxymoron.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Mothers with Allianz through AA and she's used her home start twice this year.

Just to clarify AA are a roadside assistance organisation, broker and a place to go if you drink too much. Fbd are an insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Yeah I know, you have to join AA breakdown separately!
    I'm with them btw, not a pub tale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

pred racer wrote: »

Just found that out over the weekend. The son's girlfriend told me she got a large discount off her insurance if she took out AA Membership. Worked out at around €3 a month extra net

• Advertisement
Advertisement