Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car crash at 75mph: was I lucky?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

Opening a window and taking stimulants are no replacement for sleep. They might keep you awake, but you will still have reduced awareness and attention span.

If you feel like you need to take a stimulant to drive, you shouldn't be driving.

it's in case of unexpected tiredness, you can't just stop in the middle of a motorway and stay there for the night.
    You shouldn't set out driving if you are tired I thought that much was obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ireland is so far behind in providing services whether private or public as its only starting to pick up on the likes of M1, M4, M/N 11 and so on.

There was no thought back in the day when a major road or motorway was to be built.

These places(service/ stop areas) should have been put in with the roads.

I use to be shocked and fascinated in the likes of UK with all their services and places for cars and trucks to park..

We are starting but have a hell of a lot to do here to improve.
    Truck and bus drivers have to break and stop as the law makes them with tachometer and tacho cards but where is there safe and secure and proper places for them to go.

Sure years ago I was driving fully aware of everything around me, trained in skid control but still the arse of the car stepped out on black ice and away she goes taking driver side out of it including the roof and walked away.

Op well done for telling your tale as you can take it as you have been given another chance and also learnt a very good lesson and understand the dangers hopefully its something that you can pass on to others and maybe save someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Ireland is so far behind in providing services whether private or public as its only starting to pick up on the likes of M1, M4, M/N 11 and so on.

There was no thought back in the day when a major road or motorway was to be built.

These places(service/ stop areas) should have been put in with the roads.

I use to be shocked and fascinated in the likes of UK with all their services and places for cars and trucks to park..

We are starting but have a hell of a lot to do here to improve.
    Truck and bus drivers have to break and stop as the law makes them with tachometer and tacho cards but where is there safe and secure and proper places for them to go.

Sure years ago I was driving fully aware of everything around me, trained in skid control but still the arse of the car stepped out on black ice and away she goes taking driver side out of it including the roof and walked away.

Op well done for telling your tale as you can take it as you have been given another chance and also learnt a very good lesson and understand the dangers hopefully its something that you can pass on to others and maybe save someone else.

I heard on the radio there are government plans to have service stops every 60km for food, coffee and a rest but the plan stated it may take 10 years to achieve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

OP not saying this against you because it could happen to a lot of people including myself.

"I consider myself a good driver"

Yes when alert and in full health.

No when knackered and on medication.

I dont ever recall thinking....I wont drive because I'm too tired. Its something I should probably consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I heard on the radio there are government plans to have service stops every 60km for food, coffee and a rest but the plan stated it may take 10 years to achieve that.

When you're tired, 60km is a looooong way. Going 120kmh that's 30 minutes of driving.
    Ideally it should be half that.

I got tired myself last Friday driving home to Galway and luckily it was 10 minutes before Athlone so I could stop in a get a can of red bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hey! Thanks fir the replies...
    I would consider myself a capsble driver... But saying that i should have stopped before being that drowsy & obviously i wasnt good enough to recover @ 75mph...

Another issue i forgot was my general health at the time; i defo had a bit of a bug/was a bit rundown.. Think this also contributes to the drowsiness as the antihistamines probably had a stronger effect...

Again, on reflection, i know this now..
    I have booked in to see my GP for a talk about the crash, meds etc..

Also, i am considering an advanced driver course to improve my driving skills...

Also i defo noticed more aches and stiffness in my neck and body in general a few days after the crash..
    I think the adrenaline hides a lot of it...

Your body take some shunt @ that speed when meeting with a concrete barrier: imagine a boxer feels like this after a fight...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Caliden wrote: »
    When you're tired, 60km is a looooong way. Going 120kmh that's 30 minutes of driving. Ideally it should be half that.

Then why just pass one and wait for the next one?

You could hardly have them every 20 miles

Advertisement