Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Use of the boot

• 15-11-2007 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

I think that refs were too harsh on use of the boot in the world cup. Chris White gave a penno against an argie for RESTING a boot on marcus horan.

I would argue that it's all good once the intent is to roll the player away (or keep him from rolling into the way), and not to harm the player. I think that it's easy to see the difference in most situations.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The rule is simple enough but harder to enforce in practice. As it is you ll find some ref's hate ANY use of the boot even if its a legal rucking motion.

So basically if your foot goes in a motion that it goes back and not straight down in a player its legal. But if its any sort of down motion its stamping and you ll get pinged for it.

Iv been on the receiving end of both [joys of a flanker] and all i can say is that they get you moving pretty fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'm all for shoeing the bejaysis outta someone who is making no intent on getting out of the way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

zabbo wrote: »
    I'm all for shoeing the bejaysis outta someone who is making no intent on getting out of the way :)

I'd agree, as long as its a legal rucking motion get stuck in. It's often one of the most cynical professional fouls in rugby and if you lie in the wrong side you should expect to get mullered.

I'd also like to see referees quicker to go for the yellow card with players who lie-on, but for some reason they tend to afford protection to the infringing player and ping the legal rucker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

couldn't have said it any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I would disagree. I've been guilty of deliberately slowing ball once or twice, and i can't say i didn't diserve bruises. However, I do feel that penalising this is the ref's job. I do understand that if the ref is soft on this then the players will always take it out of his hands, but i do think they need a chance.

I think they should be quite entitled to penalise 'agressive' use of the boot, regardless of the direction. This is provided that they do their jobs and penalise professional fouls first time and every time.

However, I have also found myself on the wrong side of a ruck through no fault of my own, and it can genuinely be difficult to know what to do to avoid getting in the way. In this situation, i have no problem with someone giving me a little shove so i know to stay put/roll away in a particular direction.

There is a big difference between using the boot to steer someone out of trouble and shooing the bejaysus out of someone. I think the rwc refs were given blanket orders to penalise any use of the boot, and this is not a good development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

toomevara wrote: »
    I'd agree, as long as its a legal rucking motion get stuck in. It's often one of the most cynical professional fouls in rugby and if you lie in the wrong side you should expect to get mullered.

I'd also like to see referees quicker to go for the yellow card with players who lie-on, but for some reason they tend to afford protection to the infringing player and ping the legal rucker.

It is not legal to ruck on a player in the first place - rucking must be on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Funny enough the aforementioned Chris White allowed some Toulouse shoeing last night, I thought it had been outlawed altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

"Gentle" nudging to encourage them to get out of the way!!

If you are on the wrong side of the ruck you better very tough or very stupid! By all means give the player sufficient time within reason to get out of the way, and if thats not possible or they are interfering just nudge* em

Being raked before and that wasnt nice, but then again there was a bloke who shoe'd me out and saved me getting crushed in a ruck, was never so happy to have got a boot before!

*zabbos definition of nudging...

Advertisement