Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small hand axe for chopping wood?

Options
  • 21-05-2015 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I'm having a helluva time find a small hand axe/hatchet that I can take with me backpacking and use to chop up downed trees. Anyone know where around Dublin I can pick one up, preferably one that has a rubber guard because it will be strapped to the outside of my pack. Does that shop in Blessington have them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Woodies

Afaik it has a rubber blade guard and a cover for the axe head.

316965_grizzly_canadian_axe_2.5lb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Im in the same boat and checked woodies and it had a wooden axe but with a half moon shape head on it..not ideal tho and no cover.

B n Q has then in steel handle with a cover 20 or 30 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Went to the woodies in Naas, the one just off the N7 Globe exit. They had about a dozen or so really nice, small hatchets in four different models.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Couple of small axes, from a place based in Dublin http://www.handyhardware.ie/cat/Axes-Hand/131/892

MakeThumbImage.aspx?ID=%2fPortals%2f0%2fTBImage%2fFSK121121.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Aldi have small hand axes 1lb(450g) .Should be plenty left over from a previous weeks specials. Fibre glass handle with rubber grip.Rubber blade guard. 7.99 euro.For that price you would not mind if you whacked a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

wolfeye wrote:
    Aldi have small hand axes 1lb(450g) .Should be plenty left over from a previous weeks specials. Fibre glass handle with rubber grip.Rubber blade guard. 7.99 euro.For that price you would not mind if you whacked a rock.

My neighbour bought one..its sharp and solid..but as far as a guard goes its a narrow piece of rubber

Advertisement