Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DJ courses in the UK

Options
  • 02-12-2011 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hey

So I've been DJ'ing for a while now and feel I've hit a wall and I want to take my mixing skills to a new levels. I was looking at going to the UK and doing some form of advanced course over there. I see Ministry of Sound are running a course there's also a few other places

I don't know if anyone here has been over there or heard of anyone doing a course like this?

I'd rather do it in Ireland but I don't think there anywhere that does an advanced course?!

any thoughts/feedback would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    Hey

So I've been DJ'ing for a while now and feel I've hit a wall and I want to take my mixing skills to a new levels. I was looking at going to the UK and doing some form of advanced course over there. I see Ministry of Sound are running a course there's also a few other places

I don't know if anyone here has been over there or heard of anyone doing a course like this?

I'd rather do it in Ireland but I don't think there anywhere that does an advanced course?!

any thoughts/feedback would be great

Courses about DJ-ing are generally a complete waste of time and money.

If you're really serious and you want to do a year long course then go out to the Bray College of Further Education and do their FETAC accredited DJ course. Have heard nothing but positives from everyone who's come through it.

As for hitting a plateau - get used to it, you'll get that feeling every once in a while for as long as you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Best way to get your mixing skills to develop is just to buy new records every week and listen, listen, listen, listen, listen, and then practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice... And then go practice some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Best way to get your mixing skills to develop is just to buy new records every week and listen, listen, listen, listen, listen, and then practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice... And then go practice some more.

This. Make **** hard on yourself from time to time as well.

Once or twice a week i just blind pick about 20 records from my stacks, it's a good way to put yourself in a spot by trying to get a solid mix from a random palette of songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

This. Make **** hard on yourself from time to time as well.

Once or twice a week i just blind pick about 20 records from my stacks, it's a good way to put yourself in a spot by trying to get a solid mix from a random palette of songs.

I do the same. I have no set "set". I just play from my crate and record the results. I used never record them but now I do and give them to mates who have a good interest in music. Has improved my set no end. The BEST way to learn is to be constructively criticized in my eyes i.e. Find mates who'll say "Yeah X was good in Y, but what the hell were you doing at Z, H would be better there"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

then practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice... And then go practice some more.
    After that you could even practiSe!

• Advertisement
Advertisement