Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Djing Gear in the states

Options
  • 13-11-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Heading to New york next year, thinking of investing in some dj gear, maybe a mixer or effects unit things like that.

anyone bought over there? got any advice?

i presume I can just get another transformer that will work off 230v once the outut voltage is the same? or does their frequency (hertz) affect it?

Can anyone recommend any good shops in New York for djing equipment. And any Record shops?

Cheers
    Cian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Record shops I can thoroughly recommend Halcyon records in Brooklyn - it's an absolute mare to get to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Cianh

Cheers mate, i'll look it up.

Anyone know any good electronic stockists(with djing gear) in NY?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I bought stuff over there and just used a step down transformer when I brought it back home. Didn't have any issues with it, just had to get one that was sized correctly for the gear running of it, cost around 60 EU in Maplin but could probably be sourced cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just to warn you, the resale value of US gear in Ireland/Europe will be diminished given you have a step down involved. Personally I wouldn't touch gear that needed a step down, its just too much of a hassle to carry a transformer wherever you go. Obviously some people won't mind, but something to consider. Try get worldwide voltage gear if you can i.e. The Pioneer CDJ900 / 2000 I think is worldwide, the CDJ1000 MK3 was from memory.

Also remember warranty, I'm pretty sure Pioneer Ireland for example won't touch Pioneer gear bought in the States. On the plus, you can actually swap out the power supply in most Pioneer CDJ's, provided you know what your at (Won't matter if Pioneer won't service them here anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Cianh

Thanks lads. I'm not too worried about having to get transformers anyway...its on ly for bedroom use and it'll prob be only small things, effects processor or something like that.

Anyone ever looking for shops in New York theres a good few links and names over on this thread.

http://www.bodytonicmusic.com/forum/32488/topic/view/?page=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If you happen to be down this end of the woods (http://www.proaudiostar.com/) I've got stuff from them before. Really nice to deal with and excellent customer services.

Just speaking from a technical stand point, as its my area of study, if you have a unit designed for 110V at 60Hz (US Voltage) and you put it on a transformer that has a supply of 230V at 50Hz (European Voltage), even with a good transfer, you can have some hassle. I had a pair (Not Pioneer) of US CDJ's and a set of UK CDJ's, the US CDJ's were VERY susceptible to AC Hum and Noise i.e. They could sometimes crash if the input voltage wasn't "clean" Pretty technical but apparently the US power supplies built in are made to cope with the US supply which is very "noisy" due to Air conditioning etc etc. The standard of the UK supplies was much better.

Advertisement