Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

doctors

• 20-02-2008 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

hi,
    i know this isn't a medical forum, but i just want some advice

for along time i have known there is something wrong with my mental illness lately i feel like it has got to the stage where i have to do something as it's just getting too much.

i'm really anxious about how to approach the whole idea about, actually going to a doctor.... i mean what do you say/do? i'm worried i'll look like a fool

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Put it this way your GP is dealing with all sorts on a daily basis. Put it another way, they could be looking at peoples grotty feet and piles before you come in. You would be a blessed relief. That may seem flippant, but there's truth in it. It's their job to help with all medical needs and yours, if there is a problem, is a common one and one they're used to. Take that step. You'll be glad you did.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

bubblebutt wrote: »
    hi,
    i know this isn't a medical forum, but i just want some advice

for along time i have known there is something wrong with my mental illness lately i feel like it has got to the stage where i have to do something as it's just getting too much.

i'm really anxious about how to approach the whole idea about, actually going to a doctor.... i mean what do you say/do? i'm worried i'll look like a fool

thanks

have a look in the Long Term Illness forum, link is under my avatar. Lots of people there who have been there and can give you practical advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you know your doctor and think he/she's been a decent person for your physical ailments thus far, then they'll be an equally decent person if you come to them with mental issues or worries.

If you don't have a doctor or don't like your current one, ask friends and family for recommendations.

They generally don't ask you why you want to see the doctor (afair) so all you need to do is go into him/her and tell them exactly what you said here - you're worried about your mental health.

They'll probably discuss it with you and refer you onto someone who can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

You certainly won't look like a fool, there's nothing wrong with worrying about your mental wellbeing. As others above have said it's as simple as telling your doctor that you're worried about your mental health and your doctor will take it from there with you. Good luck with what your going through, I hope it works out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement