Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Performance Equipment

Options
  • 24-11-2011 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking to gig my music in conjunction with some kind of visual performance - ideally, something I (or somebody else) could control in real-time.

The obvious solution would be some kind of VJ set-up, but that's not what I'm after. It's something more abstract and simple - the kind of visualizations built into Winamp or iTunes would be a good example. My question is, does anyone know of equipment that could react in time with a live audio feed (not one played back on a hard-drive) - a screen of some kind specialized for such a purpose?

(It's been pointed out to me that Winamp actually does have the option to visualize a line-input, but I'd prefer to avoid having to use a laptop/pc unless it turns out to be the only feasible option).

My perfect set-up would involve some theremin-controlled full-mirror length diaphanous/glassy screen, with effects reminiscent of the kind of thing you'd see on a plasma globe:

220px-Plasmabaw.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I decided year on year to build a gig that I had in my old school. Basically went for a 30 yr old DJ dull 3 light disco, to me and some pretty bang up visuals. Got more than one job offer out of it.

Honestly, visuals are a hassle unless you have someone else controlling them or keeping an eyes. Random and sound to light just doesn't work in my eyes. Also bearing in mind the equipment you'll need for visuals would be near enough to VDJ anyway, so you may as well have VDJ in the first place. The set up I had was a second Macbook running to projectors with VirtualDJ as the video unit. Made some premixed videos from the charts etc (Given the age group) and had some 10 min loops of other visuals for the other times. Worked well.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

A Netbook with the ram bumped up should work fine for that kinda thing, winamp is not that intense CPU wise.

I know its "another" laptop, but its cheap, small and realistically you are gonna need a separate computer for computerized visuals.

Advertisement