Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Who. It ain't scary no more?

Options
  • 25-05-2013 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

In the 70's kids used to run behind the settee when Dr Who was on.

Or is there a a deeper sociological reason for kids not getting sh1t scared no more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

I think its just that you were a wuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Kettleson wrote: »
    Or is there a a deeper sociological reason for kids not getting sh1t scared no more?

Bring back the Irish mammy's weapon of choice, the wooden spoon, and you'll have them terrified again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

JD DABA wrote: »
    I think its just that you were a wuss.

Thank you Doctor. It took all of 30 seconds for you to come up with your diagnosis. I shall remain forever scarred.

(ps, to whom should I make the cheque payable?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Kettleson wrote: »

I ran into my daughters bedroom last night while she was sleeping with a chainsaw and blood stained clothes. You should have seen her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Don't know about that. My 10 year olds were banging our door down around midnight after just chatting about an episode they saw a few weeks back.
    (Hint: Gasmasks)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Dr. Who?

Gasmasks? Why not check out "maggots"? Them goddam maggots nearly took over Wales, and as we all know, Wales is near Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I know it was done on a shoestring budget, and perhaps kids years ago had more active imaginations, but who in their right mind thought Daleks would be terrifying?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I was watching it earlier. Those Weeping Angels would scare a lot of kids I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

I ran behind the couch not the settee.

• Advertisement

BNMC wrote: »
    I ran behind the couch not the settee.

You had a couch?

I just had fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Archeron

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I know it was done on a shoestring budget, and perhaps kids years ago had more active imaginations, but who in their right mind thought Daleks would be terrifying?!

People who lived in bungalows mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The Borg would beat the Daleks.....just saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Dr Who was/is never scary. Those of us who thought it was, were just at an impressionable age and it was one of the few scary type things The Mammy would let us watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

You had a couch?

I just had fields.

Ahhhh, I remember when this was all couches. *Nostalgia*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

It was ever scary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The OP is probably 45, if Dr Who is still sending viewers behind the couch/sofa/settee at that age there are bigger issues at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Was it ever??

__
    I watched freddy crougar at 10, and remember laughing at the "effects". My best friend at time was scared sh!tless though.
    And Sandman at a 11/12 (not with parents permission on that one XD..)

Idk, stuff on tv never scared me, was raised knowing it's all b/s, and therefore not frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

From what I hear from friends with kids it's still plenty scary. I thought that the one with the pocket universe was particularly creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

The warping vortex style theme tune still gives me the shivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I started watching the new one and watched it up till the second last season with David Tennant. It got really crap then. Every episode he'd run in with a socic screw driver and go Whoosh. Episode over, bad guys defeated.

In the 70's & 80's it could take weeks for a polt line to develop. Now it's pretty much over in every episode. It's Doctor Who, if americans made Doctor Who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Do kids not get to see a lot more graphic violence and view things with a far more adult content then we kids did in the 70's. I think kids are just a lot more precocious these days. I saw a 12/13 year old girl on her Confirmation day a few weeks ago and:eek: The child looked like she'd been sewn into a mini dress that was basically a sleeveless rectangle of cloth that didn't leave much to the imagination and a pair of sky high platform stillettoes.

The child looked like a hooker and that is being kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I imagine the Weeping Angels and the Cybermen would send kids running

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭asdfg!

My kids find it scary, admittedly they're six and four. But they can run't behind the couch because it's against the wall, so they sit on my lap clinging to me and shaking. But I dare not turn it off. They love it. I enjoy it too it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Jimoslimos wrote: »

Stephen Hawking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Knock knock!

Who's there?

Doctor

Dr Who?

:eek:

According to the Brigadier they were caterpillars and not maggots.

http://youtu.be/y95tlY6RASg

Knock knock!

Who's there?

Doctor

Dr Who?

:eek:

http://youtu.be/Adk1ujjmguo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Scary stuff indeed :eek:

stick with it to the end :pac: it's ROFL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'm guessing it's because the OP was a kid. The only Classic Who clip I have seen that sent a shiver down my spine was this one. I watched it there without a bother. But it freaked me out the first time I saw it

The Weeping Angels are creepy and I found the Silence mildly scary but I'm easily scared. I can imagine them being a lot scarier to a child. I'd like to test it but I don't have any children that I can force to watch it.

Advertisement