Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Plane habits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

o1s1n wrote: »
    So then why do you assume my comments weren't in jest? Or are you the only one who is allowed to joke about kids on transport?

I just got on a Luas with a crying baby. :D

well you are right , you COULD have been saying it in jest , but it did not come across that way - must be just me huh ?

a crying baby on the luas !!!! cheek of the parents , go eye ball to eye ball and begin staring - that will show them :D ( IN JEST !!! )

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

dj jarvis wrote: »
    these would be the same people who do the VERY same thing at ATMs or the check out at the supermarket - i think the name used in common parlance is a suffering ****tard - socks with snooker balls would remedy that situation quick smart :mad:

I sometimes wonder what people do be at ATMs. Is there a mortgage application button somewhere? Or maybe a secret pac-man game built in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

dj jarvis wrote: »
    these would be the same people who do the VERY same thing at ATMs or the check out at the supermarket - i think the name used in common parlance is a suffering ****tard - socks with snooker balls would remedy that situation quick smart :mad:

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Seriously, without meaning to be sexist, this is usually women when it comes to ATMs and shops. What the f**k are they playing at at the ATM? And the supermarket...Christ on a bike. Anyway, probably a subject for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

**** on a plane

when the air hostess tells you to knock it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

endacl wrote: »
    Not really. At 6'4" I can barely squeeze in when the seat is upright. The recline function is a hangover from the days when air travel was a luxury, and people paid a premium for it. Nowadays its the norm. Planes are pretty much buses of the sky. Much as I hate to hand Ryanair kudos for anything, doing away with recliners is something they got very right.

If you recline in front of me, I'm afraid you're in for a regularly disturbed sleep. I regularly feel the 'kneed' to move about in my seat...

There's recliners on the seats for a reason. You can't blame someone for using a facility they have paid for, exactly how it was intended to be used. Why should someone else sacrifice their comfort for yours and in the process give up something they have paid for?

If you want more space on a plane, then play for business class. Don't expect others to make sacrifices on your behalf because you're too cheap to pay for the space you feel you need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Why should someone else sacrifice their comfort for yours and in the process give up something they have paid for?
    Manners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

There's recliners on the seats for a reason.

There's also a fold down table on the back of every seat for a reason. Laptops, food, books, etc.

Manners?

The airplane engineer didn't have manners on his list when he designed the plane. Anyone is entitled to use the features on the plane. Sure its the same on the buses.

Anyways, any plane I was on only reclined a few degrees. It's a bit annoying, but you can always recline your own seat to even things out.

Is there some plane with super recliner seats?

Zaph wrote: »
    Whatever about there being no god given right to have room for a laptop, it's not too much to expect that when I'm eating my meal that the person in front puts up their seat so I can do so. Just because they're not eating doesn't mean I should try to do so with my elbows tucked into my armpits and the table dug into my stomach. I had to get an attendant to ask one ignorant fcuker to move his seat forward once because he pretty much refused to do so when I asked him.

They're entitled to recline their seat. Why do you feel they should be obliged to inconvenience themselves so you have more room to eat? Surely if you want more room, you should pay for more room rather then expect others to go out of their way to accommodate you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Prodigious wrote: »
    There's also a fold down table on the back of every seat for a reason. Laptops, food, books, etc.

So let your seat back if you need room, that's why they recline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

o1s1n wrote: »
    People who feel the need to bring babies on long haul flights. :mad:

/Glare.

Deal with it. They're not sitting on your lap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Nino Brown wrote: »
    So let your seat back if you need room, that's why they recline

No. If it's folded out and the inconsiderate fool in front of you reclines their seat chances are the items on the table will fall off.

starWave wrote: »
    you can always recline your own seat to even things out.
    No you can't. Only shortarses think this. Its a length of thigh thing...

It always baffles me when there's an elderly lady at the exit row, and she needs help to put her suitcase up on the rack, but yet she's expected to open the emergency door in an emergency event, and throw it out in front of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rob32

Bringing snakes on the plane, totally unnecessary and pisses me right off.

No you can't. Only shortarses think this. Its a length of thigh thing...

Does it not hinge above the upper leg level, giving you more leg room, and less face room? Thats how it is on Aer Lingus anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

No. If it's folded out and the inconsiderate fool in front of you reclines their seat chances are the items on the table will fall off.

Ah yeah fair enough, I always let mine back gently just in case somebody's knee or something is in they way, but when it's back that's where it stays.

Manners?

That's a ridiculous response. It's not bad manners to utilise a facility you have paid for

Yes, and even with a reclined seat, they can be used by most

Again, I fail to understand why people expect others to sacrifice their own comfort for a complete strangers. If people want more room, then pay for it. Don't expect charity from others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I'm shocked at the number of people pro seat reclining, it has a use, and only when it's dark, on a flight more than 5hrs and to sleep.

It's not supposed to be, LHR-DUB for 50min or Transatlantic once you board the plane. It's that middle section after the food is done and people settle down to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Someone snoring on a plane is the one thing that really really really gets to me. there is no escaping from it and it doesn't matter how loud you turn up your music, somehow it penetrates through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Not really. At 6'4" I can barely squeeze in when the seat is upright. The recline function is a hangover from the days when air travel was a luxury, and people paid a premium for it. Nowadays its the norm. Planes are pretty much buses of the sky. Much as I hate to hand Ryanair kudos for anything, doing away with recliners is something they got very right.

If you recline in front of me, I'm afraid you're in for a regularly disturbed sleep. I regularly feel the 'kneed' to move about in my seat...

So I'm guessing you have no problem with obese people spilling onto your seat then?
    If you are too tall to sit in a seat comfortably then pay for a bigger seat, just like the fatties should.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They're entitled to recline their seat. Why do you feel they should be obliged to inconvenience themselves so you have more room to eat? Surely if you want more room, you should pay for more room rather then expect others to go out of their way to accommodate you

That's the most ridiculous argument I've ever seen. I've paid the same as them and am entitled to a certain level of comfort as well. And it's not as if it's a 15 course tasting menu, the tray will be gone in half an hour and they can put their seat back when I'm done. It's about basic courtesy, nothing more, nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

maglite wrote: »
    I'm shocked at the number of people pro seat reclining, it has a use, and only when it's dark, on a flight more than 5hrs and to sleep.

It's not supposed to be, LHR-DUB for 50min or Transatlantic once you board the plane. It's that middle section after the food is done and people settle down to sleep.

Yeah, I always felt that way too about seat reclining. Sadly, those are the "informal" rules*, although on long haul flights where they serve meals, I have seen flight attendants ask people to tilt their seats back up for dinner service, even if they are asleep.

*with the one caveat being that long-haul flights in Asia often leave around midnight, so people often zonk out as soon as they get on the plane.

I once had the middle seat, and two men on a business trip had the window seat and aisle seat, and had a conversation right across me.

Now thats bad manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

I try not to let the reclined seat thing bother me too much. I mean, I can recline my seat too (and normally I end up having to, not all the way though) so. They're built for the purpose.

I won't tolerate someone who won't put the seat upright when food/drinks are being served. Same goes for take off and landing.

starWave wrote: »
    Does it not hinge above the upper leg level, giving you more leg room, and less face room? Thats how it is on Aer Lingus anyway.
    No. Less leg room. If I sit in a plane seat, I'm pretty much back straight against the seat, and knees pressed up against the seat in front. . I've never sat on a flight where I could get my feet under the seat in front of me - business class included. At 6'4", I'm tall, but not unusually tall. As soon as the seat in front goes back, I'm squashed in. Normally, pointing this out politely does the trick. People generally are decent. If they insist though.... well, I've the 'right' to get comfortable at somebody else's expense too, don't I? Which I'll happily do till the seat goes back up.

The reality is, to squeeze a few more rows of seats in, airlines sacrifice space and comfort. For everybody. 3 more inches, and reclining wouldn't be an issue. I could stretch out, and hobbits could recline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Personally I hate the way some idiot plane designer/airline executive has the seats so wedged in that the passengers might as well be in a chicken battery farm. Which inevitably leads to lots of abuse directed between passengers ('the guy next to me is too fat', 'the guy in front reclines his seat into my knees', 'the guy behind is hitting my seat with his knees') instead of more productively bitching about the clueless idiot/greedy asshole who designed the interiors like that in the first place.

And some airlines are worse than others. I flew on a Thomas Cook charter flight, and the seat pitch was ridiculous. I'm neither heavy nor tall (about 5'11) and my legs were wedged hard against the seat in front, ended up with backaches for a couple of days, just getting better in time for the flight back. It's a farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

then, like me, you should be able to ' accident ly' rub their calves with your feet from under tge seat. Frightens the **** out of people and when you explain that with the seat down you can't tuck your knees up lo and behold up the seat goes.

That's a ridiculous response. It's not bad manners to utilise a facility you have paid for
    Of course it is if it encroaches on somebody else. You paid for the flight. Not the recline.

• Advertisement

Anyone that really detests seat reclining could always ask to have the exit row seat, as those don't decline. Just please be able to easily lift 15kg, in case we need to use that door.

Advertisement