Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Plane habits

• 15-05-2013 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭

Having done a good few international flights the past month or so, I have seen the worst kind of manners from all types of people and nowhere is this more evident than the etiquette on long-haul flights. Some of the worst offenders are:

1. People who BANG the buttons on the back of your seat as they browse the entertainment options on the tv screen, not even considering that the person ahead of them has their head down for a kip and doesnt appreciate the constant banging behind their head.

2. People who look at babies crying as if they are the devil. Now, I know its annoying to hear constant crying on a plane and if they are seated next to you then yes, thats bad. But im on about the people who are seated a few rows ahead/behind and whip their head around to stare in horror EVERY SINGLE TIME THE BABY CRIES, as if staring at them will make it stop. I cannot get over that attitude and I saw a couple in their 60s staring at a child who cried a few rows to their left, they even stopped watching their shows to turn around. They didnt even say anything just stared in amazement! I mean, babies cry ffs. Whats so unusual about that?

3. People who put their seats back right on your lap and refuse to move it up even an inch. I really had to hold back when this guy did it to me the last flight and his answer to my request to put it up was "Nope, your problem", I could have thrown him out the window I was that annoyed.

4. People who rush straight to the toilet the second you can undo your seat belt, despite the fact that almost every gate/waiting area have plenty of toilets, why the hell do people leave it to the last minute??

There are more, but Im sure you have experienced the same or worse, anyone else have any other annoying experiences on these flights??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

3. People who put their seats back right on your lap and refuse to move it up even an inch. I really had to hold back when this guy did it to me the last flight and his answer to my request to put it up was "Nope, your problem", I could have thrown him out the window I was that annoyed.

If the seats weren't meant to recline then they wouldn't. It is your problem.

Agree with you on the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

On a flight over to Canada I had a gob****e sitting next to me whose headphones were so loud even the people a few rows up were complaining about the noise. He was chugging beer the entire flight too and was in a window seat, must have gotten up to go to the jacks 5 or 6 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

People who feel the need to bring babies on long haul flights. :mad:

/Glare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Agree with above. Seats are designed to recline. Deal with it. Also I you've had a few beers then have to que for a ryanair flight it can be twenty minutes queing, another twenty boarding, ten taxiing and another few for the plane to level off. Of course I'm gonna need a long steamy piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I find that keeping up a jaunty rythmn with my knees can help to offset the stress brought on in situations like these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Mr. Headphones: This guy has a set of cans the size of turtles shells, the volume on them goes all the way to eleven and of course that's where he has it set. This means that not only can he clearly hear whatever tripe passes for music, the people left behind at the airport can clearly hear it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

o1s1n wrote: »

/Glare.

Obviously they should just leave the babies at home alone to avoid disturbing overly sensitive souls like yourself.....

Babies are fine on long haul flights. I've done it numerous times, in fact I'll be bringing a baby on a long haul flight on Friday.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Or the people who put their bags in the overhead bins nowhere near their seat, but above your seat. Eh, where am I meant to stick my bag now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I rock back and forth for the entire journey, gripping the seat like it will steady the plane. SOmetimes I cry too.

My mam always falls asleep with her mouth open, a group of lads were trying to throw sweets in her mouth from a few seats ahead. My dad just put the blanket over her head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

People who bring the biggest carry on bag they can manage, and then get on the plane last so they have nowhere to put it.

• Advertisement

Obviously they should just leave the babies at home alone to avoid disturbing overly sensitive souls like yourself.....

Or just put them in baggage where no-one can hear them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I must say, i'm generally polite when it comes to putting my seat back, i would always ask. No one has ever said "no"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

/Glare.

People who feel the need to complain every time a baby cries

As if the parents were supposed to leave the baby home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Them suicide bomber lads who try to blow up the plane, can't stand them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People who drink before getting on a flight.

Yes it relaxes you a bit but buddy.... you're supposed to be flying the damn plane.

:mad:

I'm 5'9'' and get crushed knees whenever the person in front puts their seat back. I never put mine back..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

The seat back annoys me but I can see why people think it's my problem.

Was typing away on my laptop t'other day and some woman just reclines the whole way back and I end up with the laptop grazing my nose. Massively annoying but, like I say, I can understand why people would say it's my problem not hers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

why didnt you's get the boat then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Setting off suicide bombs - REALLY pisses me off , the hostess cant get the gargle trolley past the gaping hole in the fuselage :mad:

and people who give crying babies the evil eye as the OP said , justifiable homicide in my book - dont like the public ? get a private jet , cant afford a private jet ? then suck it up assh0le :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I'm 5'9'' and get crushed knees whenever the person in front puts their seat back. I never put mine back..

I do it as soon as the seatbelt light goes off, I want the person behind me to get used to the idea before they get all cranky from a long flight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Anyone with the guts to do this
    http://i.imgur.com/j2HWA.jpg

Master of the Universe

Babies are fine on long haul flights. I've done it numerous times, in fact I'll be bringing a baby on a long haul flight on Friday.

Quiet babies are fine on long haul flights.

Crying babies (most of them) are one of the worst things to have to deal with on a long haul flight. And I include bad turbulence and explosive decompression :pac:

DeanAustin wrote: »
    The seat back annoys me but I can see why people think it's my problem.

Was typing away on my laptop t'other day and some woman just reclines the whole way back and I end up with the laptop grazing my nose. Massively annoying but, like I say, I can understand why people would say it's my problem not hers.

The key is to make it her problem, rest the laptop on her face and see her quickly pull the seat back up.

Why should one person be allowed comfort at the expense of someone else's.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    I do it as soon as the seatbelt light goes off, I want the person behind me to get used to the idea before they get all cranky from a long flight.

Brilliant :) doesn't bother me really, takes my mind off the thoughts of impending death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

The key is to make it her problem, rest the laptop on her face and see her quickly pull the seat back up.

Will do the next time:-)

To be fair, the seats shouldn't be made recline if the airlines didn't want this scenario. Still annoys me though coz I never do it unless the seat behind me is free.

Quiet adults are fine on long haul flights.

Crying Adults (most of them from being drunk) are one of the worst things to have to deal with on a long haul flight. And I include bad turbulence and explosive decompression :pac:

fixed your post for ya , second time you have mentioned kids on flights
    wanna get off the fence on this issue :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

Obesity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Reclining seats would be fine if there was enough room between seats. If you are anyway tall its a right opain when someone leans back.

Master of the Universe

dj jarvis wrote: »
    fixed your post for ya , second time you have mentioned kids on flights
    wanna get off the fence on this issue :rolleyes:

See the little box above what I wrote? that called a 'quote'. I was 'quoting' and 'replying' to the person who 'replied' to me.

Here's another one - parents who feel the need to get pissy at people who are bothered by their child screaming and crying.

I can have sympathy towards people who are clearly trying to quieten their child. However I've seen awful parents who sit there, do nothing and just expect everyone to listen. It's extremely inconsiderate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

2. People who look at babies crying as if they are the devil. Now, I know its annoying to hear constant crying on a plane and if they are seated next to you then yes, thats bad. But im on about the people who are seated a few rows ahead/behind and whip their head around to stare in horror EVERY SINGLE TIME THE BABY CRIES, as if staring at them will make it stop. I cannot get over that attitude and I saw a couple in their 60s staring at a child who cried a few rows to their left, they even stopped watching their shows to turn around. They didnt even say anything just stared in amazement! I mean, babies cry ffs. Whats so unusual about that?

Babies should be banned from planes. Full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Having done a good few international flights the past month or so, I have seen the worst kind of manners from all types of people and nowhere is this more evident than the etiquette on long-haul flights. Some of the worst offenders are:

1. People who BANG the buttons on the back of your seat as they browse the entertainment options on the tv screen, not even considering that the person ahead of them has their head down for a kip and doesnt appreciate the constant banging behind their head.

4. People who rush straight to the toilet the second you can undo your seat belt, despite the fact that almost every gate/waiting area have plenty of toilets, why the hell do people leave it to the last minute??

There are more, but Im sure you have experienced the same or worse, anyone else have any other annoying experiences on these flights??
    Agree entirely on point 1. The only time seat bashing should be allowed is to piss of dicks who qualify as point 3's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Worst plane habits?

The pilots who pay 30000 euros for their job resulting in a situation where someone who was the top candidate after interview and sim assessment is refused and someone who is richer gets in.

/rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Every time I have ever been on a flight there is an 8 year old little blonde bastard child in the seat behind me kicking the fukk out of me for the entire flight. Every. Single. Time. I'm convinced it's the same kid, who somehow never ages, and if I ever find him outside of an airplane I'm gonna kill the little bastard and send him back to the hell that spawned him.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

**** on a plane

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

What part of the seats being designed to recline do you not understand? Its not my problem if someone behind me is using my unoccupied reclining space for something else. Its not rude to try and sleep on a plane. There is no god given right for somebody to have enough room for their laptop to sit comfortably on their tray table.

If someone reclines in front of me, and I need more space, I simply recline my seat too, and due to the fact that all the seats recline an Identical amount, equilibrium is restored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

If recliner is reclined enough, there is a fantastic chance to spew all over someone with zero blame.

Reindeer wrote: »
    Babies should be banned from planes. Full stop.

People should be banned from planes. Full stop.

Master of the Universe

orestes wrote: »
    Every time I have ever been on a flight there is an 8 year old little blonde bastard child in the seat behind me kicking the fukk out of me for the entire flight. Every. Single. Time. I'm convinced it's the same kid, who somehow never ages, and if I ever find him outside of an airplane I'm gonna kill the little bastard and send him back to the hell that spawned him.

It's their playground in the sky, didn't you know? :pac:

See the little box above what I wrote? that called a 'quote'. I was 'quoting' and 'replying' to the person who 'replied' to me.

Here's another one - parents who feel the need to get pissy at people who are bothered by their child screaming and crying.

I can have sympathy towards people who are clearly trying to quieten their child. However I've seen awful parents who sit there, do nothing and just expect everyone to listen. It's extremely inconsiderate.

wow is that what the little box is about :rolleyes: TIL !!!

ditto on the bad parents - nothing worse , but in fairness most childless arseh0les stare with no regard to the parenting skills , they hear crying and dole out arseh0le justice

as i said if people are So annoyed by screaming kids then drive , me im no fan of a screaming kid on a long haul or short haul flight , but i am enough of a grounded adult to suck it up and understand that the vast vast majority of kids cant help it ,and the parents cant do anything about it either
    so why TRY make it worse by giving the evil eye?

I know who the bigger wanker is

orestes wrote: »

so would you not have the balls to ask the parents to get the child to stop kicking the seat ?
    or would you rather ruin your own flight and sit stewing for 5/6 hours ?

that one always baffles me , why in gods name would you not say something?

and yes , i have seen the same kid , i trip it up when it starts running up and down the plane , a seat rest in the face puts paid to their mini rampage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Clapping when we land.

WTF is that all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

The tray in front of you isn't for laptops.

That's what your lap is for.

a seat rest in the face

I cracked up laughing at that, I'm clearly a horrible person..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Clapping when we land.

WTF is that all about?

+1

More prevalent in the USA I think. I remember back in the 80s when I was doing a lot of flying there, every time a plane landed there was an explosion of applause.

I think it's mainly out of a sense of relief that the plane hasn't hit the ground (or something else) at 400 odd miles an hour....although I can't help thinking that landing the plane safely is what the guy in the front seat is very well paid for....he's only doing his job. Next thing, they'll start applauding bus drivers for stopping safely at the terminus.... ;-)

Muppets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

nuxxx wrote: »
    Them suicide bomber lads who try to blow up the plane, can't stand them

Yeah,happened to me once ,most annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

People clapping when the plane lands.. Bugs the sh*te out of me for some reason.

Master of the Universe

and yes , i have seen the same kid , i trip it up when it starts running up and down the plane , a seat rest in the face puts paid to their mini rampage

So I'm an arsehole for not liking children crying, but you can assault them.

Right so!

Back to the OP - I'm not too fond of psychopaths on planes either.

I love a good clap at the end... The relief!

the guy in the front seat is very well paid for.

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

**** on a plane
    Neil?....................Is that you......??

• Advertisement
Advertisement