Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork wildlife otters and seals

Options
  • 20-04-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if there are are any good spots in or near to Cork that has a decent population of otters and seals. Would love to be able to go view them in their natural habitat.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 brushedsun

Anyone any ideas or maybe jsut not a good place to go to spot otters and seals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Aaaaaggh!! I had a long reply which just disappeared when I posted it!

Can I suggest you Google it? I did and got lots of info. Contact the West Cork Whale Group , The Irish Whale and Dolphin Group, Local wildlife groups etc. I would not be comfortable giving locations on an open forum to a stranger. Learn about the animals and check out ares you think would fit with their requirements. You learn a lot more that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Take the ferry from Glengarrif to Garinnish island there is lots of seals to see from the ferry. The guys operating the ferry are very obliging and if you ask them to slow the ferry down for you to take some close up photos i am sure that they would. Here is a photo i managed to take on a trip to the island. The island itself has some fabulous gardens with exotic plants which should be coming into bloom around this time of the year.

P4160058.jpg

wgsten

http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes i did a little research and googled it before i posted. I know there are a few otters in Kinsale area and the seals out on the island look amazing, ill need to take a trip out.

IWDG - are what they say on the tin i expect and are more into the spotting of the big fellows out in the sea. but thanks for the advice

WGSTEN - meant to say nice pic !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

brushedsun wrote: »
    IWDG - are what they say on the tin i expect and are more into the spotting of the big fellows out in the sea. but thanks for the advice

No. I recommended them, and the West Cork group, because I know they have a wealth of information on all marine mammals. They have always been very helpful.

You don't think I'd recommend anybody who could help, do you? :rolleyes: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

brushedsun wrote: »
    WGSTEN - meant to say nice pic !

Cheer's, Thank you.

wgsten

Advertisement